Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 582
  • Reward points : 1322
Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus - Friday, April 28, 2017 4:59 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus
Species description:  Calanoid copepod
Culture source (link if possible):  fellow hobbyist breeder
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  3/25/17
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.025
Temperature:    ambient fish room temp, 70-73 degrees
pH:  not measured

Vessel description:  5 gallon bucket
Lighting description:  low level light from nearby phyto cultures, and a small LED under the shelf over the bucket
Lighting cycle:  on 16 hours, off 8 hours
Aeration description:  rigid airline tubing with steady gentle bubble rate

Methodologies
Split methodology: Presently naups are sieved out about once a week and given to the main reef tank.  I hope to start using them in fish aquaculture (if I can get my larvae to progress far enough!)

Culture medium description: 
NSW (Instant Ocean) mixed to 1.025 SG.  Culture is fed t-iso every few days depending on whether the water seems to be getting clear.
Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 582
  • Reward points : 1322
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus - Friday, April 28, 2017 5:05 PM
I was generously given a starter culture of this pod from a friend.  It was placed in a bucket and the culture volume gradually increased to about 3 gallons over a couple of weeks, being fed t-iso.  I thought the culture was not really doing to good, and decided to give the bucket a cleaning today.  I was surprised to find that is was really coming along.  Here is an iPhone video zoomed in a bit showing lots of juveniles & some of the adults (some mating).  I'll post a microscope pic of some adults soon for confirmation that they are pseudodiaptomus.  And they are really huge compared to parvo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRDc7vZ9pE

<message edited by Fishtal on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:07 PM>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken