Culture Journal, Species: [Parvocalanus crassirostris]

waldend
  • Total Posts : 759
  • Reward points : 2481
Culture Journal, Species: [Parvocalanus crassirostris] - Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:58 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Parvocalanus crassirostris 
Species description:  Small pelagic Copepod
Culture source (link if possible):  Reed Mariculture
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  8/21/2015
Continuation Date: 6/28/2017

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.023 SG
Temperature:    Ambient room temp.  Approx 65 in winter and 72 in summer
pH:  No tested

Vessel description:  3 gal clear jug
Lighting description:  Single fluorescent T5 lamp
Lighting cycle:  14 on, 10 off
Aeration description:  1 bubble per sec

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Remove majority of culture and then refill vessel with artificial sea water 

Culture medium description:  Instant Ocean ASW.  A small quantity of Iso added to barely tint the water
(this could range, example with algae could be “10ml per l of guillards F formulation” or with A. tonsa it would be more like “300ml per day of algal mixture containing gymnodynium, tetraselmis, isochrysis, and rhodomonas” )

Cell count:  low density
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by waldend on Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:04 AM>

waldend
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Parvocalanus crassirostris] - Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:33 AM
Here is a pic for my continuation. Not the greatest but I think it provides a clear ID.

<message edited by waldend on Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:53 AM>

waldend
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Parvocalanus crassirostris] - Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:01 AM
I haven't needed these for feeding larvae so it has been just maintaining a culture for future use.  I have the container in front of a 24" T5 NO bulb and have added very little Iso to maintain a low population, like maybe once a week.    A few times here and there I have added the same tiny amount more frequently (every other day) for a couple weeks and ramped up the population a bit.  In the near future I will be ramping up and practicing producing high densities and collecting naups. 
Overall, it is crazy how little Iso they use.  I may find that to increase considerably when I am trying to hold high density and collecting naups but overall I would stress to feed these guys lightly with Iso and you will have better success.