Rotifer Culture

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 47 of 47 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Rotifer Culture - Friday, October 5, 2012 10:04 PM
I harvest my rots on most days and change out their container every 10-14 days. I feed RotiGrow+. The food is amazing and keeps the cultures very stable. I used to have a horrible time with them, but since switching foods I haven't had culture loss troubles unless I'm seriously neglecting them.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Rotifer Culture - Friday, October 5, 2012 10:51 PM
I want to add to this conversation that for a very long time (something like 3 years), I've had some "rotifer floss" I got from Reed Mariculture sitting on a shelf, but haven't ever used it.  I can't explain why; it is what it is.  Long story short, I've recently started using it daily, and I'm really impressed at what a great job it does of keeping the cultures clean!!!  My cultures have been doing much better since I've started using it.

Macae fernandes
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 128
Re:Rotifer Culture - Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

If you're feeding live phyto you don't need to feed RGrow too. I prefer using RGrow instead of live because it's easier and cheaper over the long run.

How much phyto you need to feed will depend on which product you use and how dense your culture is. Ideally, you want to feed enough so the water doesn't go clear between feedings. Drip feeding is the best way to feed but I just feed twice per day, 12 hours apart, and have no problems.

I only harvest rotifers when I need them or when someone else wants some. I know this is not the best thing to do but it works for me. About once a month I will "refresh" my cultures by siphoning out 1/2 of the culture and add it to a new bucket 1/2 full with fresh SW. 

Beside the 1/2 new bucket each month do you still change like 1/4 each day or just that change once a month?

Do you think cloram-x is not worth it, if using live phyto ?

Ty for your answer

Clownfish Depot
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points : 133
Re:Rotifer Culture - Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:49 PM
Have any of you ever "tested" your rotifers? I have some form 2 different sources and I wanted to compare them. I have Rotigrow Plus and RG Complete and would like to "see" if there is any difference. Besides a microscope, do I need anything else? What should I be looking for? Thanks

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Re:Rotifer Culture - Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:51 PM
Maybe densities of using one or the other?

Clownfish Depot
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points : 133
Re:Rotifer Culture - Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:55 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Amphispur

Maybe densities of using one or the other?

good idea :-)
I will be splitting the 2 different cultures in half and then dosing 2 with RG+ and 2 with RGC.

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Rotifer Culture - Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:55 PM
Density is ruled by biomass input and given one is 1/3rd the density of the other, its a no brainer who will win that one.  They are virtually the same product, just one is less dense to allow for the ChlorAm-X and pH buffer.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 47 of 47 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version