Breeding Journal, Species: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)

blix70
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 56
Breeding Journal, Species: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) - Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:14 PM
 Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)
Social Structure:
Size of Individuals: 2.5- Big Baby (WC) 3.0 -JAWS (CB), .5-2.0 (juveniles) (CB)
Age of Individuals: unknown-my possession 6 months
Date added to Tank:

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 4'x4'x1' 90 gallons      
Substrate Details: Halimeda, sowthdown sand    
Filtration Details: ASM G4 skimmer un-modded ( will upgrade soon)     
Water Changes: None Exchange water between 290 CHaeto tank and this one. Tapwater added to Chaeto tank.
Water Temperature: 80-82    
Lighting: 2 54watt 48" t5 actinics, 2-250 watt Metal Halides    
Lighting Cycle: t5 on at 11:00 a.m. off 10:00P.M. MH on 12:00 p.m. Off 9:00 P.M. 
Other Tank Inhabitants: Harliquinn starfish, blue leg hermits, serpent star, cerith snails, lightening Whelk, Horseshoe crabs, emerald crabs, Atlantic Blue Tang (juvenile) yellow turning blue. CLarkii Pair, Snowcasso, onxy clowns, ampipods.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Big Baby hand fed pods- JAWS anything i put in the tank.
Feeding Schedule: Morning, evening.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank: 10 gallon
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Metamorphosis:
Date of Settlement:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 75 gallon, 55 gallon
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: Stand building set for nov 7th 1 stand 10'x2'x10' or 12'x2'x10' 2 Larval station 6'x2'x8'  or i may use steel shelving unit similar to Tals ( minus the wheels) currently running 4'x4'x1' and a 6'x4'x2' lagoon style tanks. 11-07 i went to the lumberyard to get the 2x4's and OSB to build the stand. 2+ hours of sorting netted me the straightest boards they had. 11-8 started building the rack, my helper ( AKA the only person who knows what they are doing) explained to me that the racks would be unwieldy so we made them 6' long. shelves are 4' x 2' 3/4" OSB framed like a studwall. legs are single 2 x 4's that are attached at the top at 9'6" 4 shelves are built, the lower 2 are lag bolted in high enough to place a 100 gallon rubbermaid trough underneath each side. 11-9 new Dart came in from DIYREEF ( thanks Deb) and glass hole saws and bulkheads ( thanks Mike from Glass-Holes.com). 11-10 Bought 1-75 gallon, 1-20 gallon high-1 10 gallon tank from Jan's tropical fish in Taylor. can't beat the prices, don't have to drive 2 hours to get them.with the help of my daughters we moved the Metal halide lighting, installed the 4' grow lights over the 290 chaeto tank via sunlifts. 11-11 Purchased 55 gallon setup off Michigan Reefers, picking up on the 12th. setup is tank, lights, canopy, stand, canister filter, hang on filter, etc...Painted loose shelves white first coating. numbered all outlets and breakers to determine what can go where. May need to upgrade from 200 to 250 amp service.

<message edited by blix70 on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:10 AM>
Attached Image(s)

blix70
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 56
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) - Monday, November 16, 2009 11:15 AM
WEEKEND UPDATE
Picked up 55 this weekend only to find out it says it is tempered glass, so i can't drill it. stand light etc.. all nice so i will be selling to get a drillable tank, probably another 75. painted the uper shelves white, and painting the walls and stand with white killz paint. placed another order through DIYREEF. sanded all stand surfaces smooth, all of the 2 x 4's are straight, but some have some problems. doubling up legs and supports for shelves. hoping to post pictures soon.

Aquatic Aquaman
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 114
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) - Friday, December 11, 2009 8:21 AM
Blix70 I've got offspring of the offspring you gave me over 4 years ago at a Aqua Hobbies swap.  Those babies have been breeding machines!
Toledo Reef Aquarium Club
Web Administrator
www.TracCentral.org