Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:41 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

I'm planning a new push with these for the new year.

General
Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris
Social Structure: monogamous
Size of Individuals: 3.5-4"    
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 12-31-08

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 40XL (4 x 1 x 1)
Substrate Details: ~1" sand
Filtration Details: connected to ~1,400 gal. system
Water Changes: ~100 gals. about every 2 weeks
Water Temperature: 81
Lighting: T5s
Lighting Cycle: 14on 
Other Tank Inhabitants: a pair of banggai 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: A seafood medley, blendered beyond recognition and frozen. Also (frozen): Mysis, Nutramar Ova, SF Cyclops, Daphnia, and pretty much anything else I can find gets introduced to them.
Feeding Schedule: 3-5x/day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: First verified spawn 5/6/09
Spawn Time of Day: usually ~8:00pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: spawns usually 3-4 days apart    
CourtShip Details: This can go on for hours. Female gets agitated, swims the tank sampling various algae beds. Male follows closely. Male often displays "flutter dive" behavior with movements of anal vent (exposing orange color) and opening and closing tail fin like a fan very quickly. Female occasionally also show "flutter dive" behavior. When things are close, male "chatters" at females cheek as she thrusts into algae. At spawn, female presses genital opening to substrate, male quickly joins her. Post-spawn, both look stunned for a few seconds and float away from the spawning site on the current. Male then displays wildly as female swims quickly away.
Egg Size: Sorry. I didn't measure them.
Egg Color: Mine were orange-ish. I think this may be diet-related, as Matt's were green.
Egg Count: 30-40.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: My successful collection was decimated by a couple of sneaky amphipods.
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larve Description:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 79F
Size of Larval Tank: 17 gal. round (feed bucket)     
Substrate Details: Black krylon
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: connected to system, 30 gal. brute trash can with bioballs in a strainer at top for a wet/dry, plus half-full 20H sump
Lighting: Small CF fixture
Lighting Cycle: on when I do first feeding, off at last night feeding
Water Changes: as needed

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

<message edited by Umm_fish? on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:41 AM>

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, December 25, 2009 6:16 PM
My pair:

Eggs:

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:46 AM
Here are some photos of my larval rearing system where I'll be trying these guys if I can ever get eggs. (I watched courtship for an hour the other night, ready to steal eggs, and the male forgot to join in. Sigh.)

The strainer is now full of bioballs for a little wet/dry action.

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:24 PM
Can you explain the plumbing there in the blue bucket a bit?

Actually can you explain it all? What are the other two contraptions on the right of the blue bucket?
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:03 PM
Sure. The black thing on the far right is an old water bath I got at a university auction from the school in town. It's basically a hot plate attached under a small pot for water. The hot plate has a thermostat and holds the water at a constant temp. I will eventually have a second blue tub in that space.

The middle thing is essentially the same thing as the water bath. I can put a container in there and it's constantly surrounded by fresh larval system water, keeping whatever's in the container at the same temp as the larval system.

As far as the larval tank itself goes, water from the system is pumped down the vertical pipe in the center to just above the bottom of the tub. The incoming water gets forced towards the sides of the tank. In theory, this will create a doughnut of kreisel-type water flow all the way around the tank. The Y-shaped thing is the overflow. Both of the arms can be pulled up and down. They are each removable for cleaning, and I have different sized mesh on them. So, most of the time the 50 micron screen is down, retaining rotifers in the tank while allowing water to pass. The other has something like 150 micron screen and I lower that into the water to flow the rots out and to go clean the 50 micron screen.

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:20 PM
Well, the momentous day is upon us, fortunately with no drama. The filefish have now been in my care exactly one year and it fortunately seems like its just another day, hopefully with many more to come. Tomorrow marks another milestone of sorts: it'll be exactly 10 months since either of the fish have seen a coral. So, without further ado, the couple from today: 

For more about these fish and the past year, you are invited to my website where I've written a short article to commemorate the occasion. (For those of you that have seen it already, the only things new are two more photos from today.) http://www.ummfish.com/index.php

DLBerlin
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 268
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:01 PM
Great story
Congrats on the anniversary!
Deb

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:36 PM
Great job!  They look super happy.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, January 1, 2010 11:07 PM
Your overflow idea is genius!
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, January 1, 2010 11:11 PM

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, January 1, 2010 11:12 PM
 $168.76!  Holy %&*%$#
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:03 AM
Yes, but any library in the country can get you a copy of that book for free. Interlibrary loan is a wonderful thing. Fortunately for me, I live in a university town and the library there has an adequate aquaculture section (despite us being smack in the middle of the country).

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:32 AM
I'll have to see if I can get it through my local library.
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, January 8, 2010 4:31 PM
Dang it. _Another_ spawn that was just out of camera range and I could not find the eggs.

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Friday, January 8, 2010 7:17 PM
You'll get them!
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Monday, January 25, 2010 3:36 PM
I added a large clump of gracillaria where I can see it well and remove it easily if they give me eggs there. Hopefully it'll help guide them there.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Monday, January 25, 2010 8:18 PM
Have you tried a "spawning mop" yet Andy?

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:47 PM
No, not yet. There's still random algae around the tank, hair on the powerheads, etc.. I think they spawned into some bubble algae the other day. I'm trying to give them a really good alternative (better than what they are using now) that I can still remove at will, rather than going with something that would be a last resort to them.
--Andy, the bucket man.

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:26 AM
hrmm...

it'll happen man!  you going to tumble the eggs or whats the plan? Gonna be trickier once you do get the eggs... one of those... "hrmm now what" feelings...
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonocanthus longirostris - Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:25 AM
Well, my plan at this point was to treat them like the sixlines: Peroxide dip and then still water. But I need to go back and look at Matt's thread to see what he did. I'm fairly sure that he tumbled them. I have an old globe funnel (good volume) that I can set up as a tumbler.
--Andy, the bucket man.