How big should a clown be before it is sold?

fishboy13
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 431
How big should a clown be before it is sold? - Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:57 AM
I have about 40 gold stripe maroon babies and they are about 1/2 in long right now.  They are going to be three months old in fifeen days.  How big should they be before I try selling them?  There are pictures of them in my breeding journal.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:How big should a clown be before it is sold? - Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:38 PM
Most stores like them to be between 1" and 1.5".  Some will take them smaller though.  Age isn't as much of a factor as size.  
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Scottt
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 341
Re:How big should a clown be before it is sold? - Monday, January 4, 2010 11:18 AM
I agree with Tal.  As a general rule though, 4 months is usually the earliest.  I think IOH sold the quick developing clowns at 4-5 months.
Shoot for at least 3/4", I think they survive better.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:How big should a clown be before it is sold? - Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:39 AM
3/4" is tiny IMHO.  Think about the people who will be buying the clowns and taking care of them long term.  Most might have issues providing the multiple daily feedings.  And what about those that go down the "overflow".  I think Tal is right on when suggesting 1 to 1.5" as a safe general rule.  Even in Freshwater, when I ran the Cichlid Hatchery, no one wanted cichlids under 1" long (except those few species that are 1" long at maturity).

Ultimately though, it is your customers who will decide...you may find some stores, or individual hobbyists, that will gladly take or even PREFER 3/4" Maroons (largely due to the "cuteness" factor".  but you'll get a lot going down overflows or otherwise "vanishing" in the typical reef tank. 

I've sold Baby Onyx Percs as early as 25 days of age, when they're only 1/4" long.  All depends on who's buying them and why.