Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 1443
Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:42 PM
From: http://www.zandavisitor.com/newsarticle-2792-Nemo_the_Clownfish_Laid_Eggs_at_Sea_Life_Loch_Lomond_Aquarium

Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium

By Emma McDougal

Loch Lomond, Scotland - Aquarists at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium got a surprise on New Years day when they spotted some tiny Clownfish eggs in their tank.
The dedicated team of aquarists that work everyday of the year, started at 8am on New Years day and were met in the centers entrance tank with some small clown fish eggs. It is thought that some of the small fish had been showing signs of mating during the festive period but the tank was clear of eggs on hogmanay.

Leigh Hotson Senior Aquarist at the centre said “Two of the clownfish had been showing displays of mating by chasing each other in and out of one the corals that we have in the tank, however this tank has been up an running for a while and nothing had ever came of it so we were really surprised to see the little eggs in the tank on New Years day”.

“We don’t know at the moment if the eggs have been fertilised but we should know if the next 15 – 20 days. But we are hopeful for the future” added Leigh.
The petite clownfish have become popular in aquariums since the launch of the popular Disney Pixar movie Finding Nemo. The Loch Lomond centre has a main Nemos Kingdom display in the third floor of the centre, but recently added a second tank at the centers reception desk.

“People love seeing the clownfish especially kids, so we decided to put a second tank in the queuing area to entertain the kids while they are waiting to get into the centre. It is one of our smallest displays but definitely one of the most popular” said Leigh.

It is hoped that the eggs will hatch in the next 15 – 20days. This could lead to a future breeding program in the centre. The centre has had successful breeding program in the past including, seahorses, rays and shark.
To view Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium's web page on Zoo and Aquarium Visitor, go to: http://www.zandavisitor.com/forumtopicdetail-2428-The_Loch_Lomond_Aquarium_SEA_LIFE_centre
<message edited by cmpenney on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:03 PM>
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:01 PM
Maybe I should contact them... their estimate of hatch time is way off.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:03 PM
Go for it!
Agis quod Adis

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 2479
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:11 PM
I think they are a little off.  Go for it Tal.

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:13 PM
Give them the ol' e-slap up side the head

If they'd bothered to visit www.fishtalpropagations.com  or searched our Hatch reports they'd know better!
Agis quod Adis

Fishtal
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by cmpenney

Give them the ol' e-slap up side the head

If they'd bothered to visit www.fishtalpropagations.com  or searched our Hatch reports they'd know better!

Yeah, I sent them the link.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:42 AM
I'm a bit surprised that clownfish laying eggs is newsworthy in the general press.  They need to make a stop at some of our houses I suppose.  Maybe the MBI can get national newsmedia attention?

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:05 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen
I'm a bit surprised that clownfish laying eggs is newsworthy in the general press.

I was waiting for someone to point that out. I get these things come up in my newsfeeds. When I read it the first thing I thought was exactly that you stated. "Clownfish laying eggs is really that newsworthy" But maybe it's really boring in that town.

Maybe the MBI can get national newsmedia attention?

We can only hope and dream that we get some  mainstream media attention. It would be good for the club and really good to bring the CB issue out into the light!
Agis quod Adis

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by cmpenney

Maybe the MBI can get national newsmedia attention?

We can only hope and dream that we get some  mainstream media attention. It would be good for the club and really good to bring the CB issue out into the light!

Well, the Northern MN club is getting local news coverage in Bemidji, MN, just for having a frag swap.  So it IS possible   Time to start working on PR!

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:09 AM
I guess. I know that when we were first putting together the MBI outline the mention of a press release was brought up. Perhaps that is what we need to do.  Create a press release and send it out to the various papers.
Agis quod Adis

DLBerlin
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 268
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:39 AM
I added a plug for the MBI to my sig on MR yesterday.
That gives you 14,890 posts on MR plugging it!

I should sell sig space advertising, hmmmmm

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:41 AM
You could sell them by impressions like on FB.
Agis quod Adis

RCA
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 78
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:56 AM
"Two of the clownfish had been showing displays of mating by chasing each other in and out of one the corals that we have in the tank"

That doesn't sound like mating behavior to me.  This person has no idea what they are talking about.  I sincerely doubt we'll be reading a follow up article on any surviving offspring.

Also, Nemo is a male's name.  I don't want to read about Nemo laying eggs.

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:02 AM
LOL...Funny.. To the average person that article probably seems soooo cool.

To those of us that know better we are left scratching our heads thinking "Wow these people don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about"

You'd think they would have taken a little bit of time to research what they have going on before they went on record.
Agis quod Adis

Fishtal
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:56 AM
BTW, I never got a reply from them.  If we write up a press release I can probably get it in the Oakland Press.

cmpenney
Re:Nemo the Clownfish Laid Eggs at Sea Life Loch Lomond Aquarium - Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:57 AM
Anyone feel like an author today?
Agis quod Adis