Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:36 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system
General
Species: Nassarius pauperi 
Social Structure:
Size of Individuals: 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, most bordering on the larger end
Age of Individuals: 1.5 years
Date added to Tank:

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 2.5 gallon hang on back refugium
Substrate Details: 2 inches aragonite sand
Filtration Details: low flow from main system to an overflow (approx 60 gph). 
Water Changes: 30 gal on main system (approx 200 gal) weekly on avg.
Water Temperature: 78 low 84 high
Lighting: ambient from culture rack (6500k Flour.) and other tank lights
Lighting Cycle: counting culture ambient 14 light 10 dark
Other Tank Inhabitants: none (copepods and worms)

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Formula one Marine Pellet
Feeding Schedule: approx 1grm daily spread over multiple feedings

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  12-22-09
Spawn Time of Day: approx 10:30 PM
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: unknown (unmonitored at this point)
CourtShip Details: Snails appear to search for mates when feeding and active, when finding a mate of the opposite sex one will chase down the other and engage in small short "wrestling" matches.  Upon being able to "wrestle" for more than 10 seconds the focus of wrestling shifts to a front / back match.  Meaning the aggressor will attempt to match head and tail with the targets head and tail (not hip on the whole bodypart lingo... help would be nice here)   Wrestling in correlation to spawn seems to be more prolific with darker colored shells and lighter colored shells (male / female determination possibly?)
Egg Size:  approx 300 micron
Egg Color: bone white
Egg Count: three in this case, which seems to be average, so far either two or three

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 01-17-2010
Hatch Time of Day: Approx 11:00 AM (timeframe between 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM)
# Days after Spawn: 26
Larve Description: unknown, given examination prior, extremely small veligers with a bone white shell and slow movement (within capsule)  capsule shows definite "tear" mark, and it is suspected that veliger has developed at least the first two (apical and second) whorl of the shell at this stage.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 80* avg
Size of Larval Tank: 2.5 gal (same as spawn tank)
Substrate Details: 2 inches aragonite sand
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: main display (same as above)
Lighting: Ambient NO flourescent (same as above)
Lighting Cycle: 12 on 12 off
Water Changes: See above... main system changes only

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Formula one marine pellet
Feeding Schedule: Approx 1 gm daily at multiple random times

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 01-31-2010
Days after Hatch: 14
Date of Settlement End: N/A
Description of Fry: Settlement counted as first examination of juvinile within tank (Benthic and non planktonic larvae) Approximately 4 whorls including apical noticed.  Juvinile resembles smaller adult approximately 2 mm in length

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 80* avg
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  2.5 gal
Substrate Details: 2 inch aragonite sand
Other Tank Decor: None
Filtration Details: Main display (see above)
Lighting: NO flour. ambient (see above)
Lighting Cycle: 12 on 12 off
Water Changes: See above
Size at Transfer: No transfer same tank
Age at Transfer N/A

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Formula one Marine Pellet (small)
Feeding Schedule: approx 1 gm daily given at random intervals

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

Alright guys, due to the pelagic nature of these snails I'm going to document notice / formation of apical whorl as settlement.  so you will see settlement prior to hatch as in my first run I've noticed this whorl (and others) formed prior to exit from egg capsule.  This may change dependent on results from first capsule.  Many things need to be stated here though...

1) We do not have positive ID that this is in fact Nassarius pauperi  and it should be considered only as a tentative ID, we do know that it is some random Nassarius sp. 

2) These specimens originally came from the Reef Stewardship Foundation to which I am very very attached!!  The final breeding protocols and any work I do on the species will be handed to RSF.  Upon successful studies you may see actual papers showing up over there.  Right now though I'm just a hobbyist with an urge to study.

3)  I will be omitting a lot of my notes and findings from these journals until I can properly correlate and confirm.  I dont want to be the bad information guy and have a serious goal at this one.  If you are truly interested in studying, are actively studying, or have studied this species please send me a PM here, on RSF, or contact me via email at thejrc (at) copepodgeek (dot) com.

4)  I have been going in circles trying to track down someone who can properly Identify this snail.  The downside is that we have no specific origin (only a suspected).  If you or anyone you know specializes in taxonomy....  jump up to number 3 and send me an email!

5)  The updates in this journal and my logs are a small portion of a current study I am performing to understand "the lifecycle of a Nassarius sp. snail successfully bred by marine ornamental hobbyists in captivity"  This will be my first real attempt at a study and given that my extent of education is a GED, I'm bound to suck... be gentle but also, dont be afraid to offer constructive criticism.  It's information from those who are highly educated and experienced but willing to share in a constructive manner that has driven me to put my efforts into this.  I truly appreciate the time and the advice!

(Per MP's request to update, more details coming in!!)

I've hopefully lined up a proper taxonomist thanks to Dr. Steven C. McKillup and will update as soon as I can!!  Study goes slow and I am now in the process of setting up multiple monoculture tanks to hopefully gain more insight.  Monoculture tanks shall consist of several 2.3 gallon tanks with a 3 inch sandbed of fine aragonite sand, light aeration by way of air supply (no bubbler) with approximately 2 bubbles per second... more on this later as I get it worked up.  As of the time of this update (3-8-2010) I have in my current test tank 4 more egg masses, all which seem to have at least two eggs, most with three, in all cases with three one appears to not be developing and thus can be deemed either a nursery egg or a lost cause.  The single survivor from the documented hatch has approximately 6 whorls (including apical) and is just over 1/4 inch in length.  It tends to be the first out for feeding. 

I have lost much of my original broodstock due to them walking up the tank and out the overflow of their own accord (hence the need for monoculture tanks) However i have noticed that the egg capsules are strong enough to withstand tampering and predation by amphipods and the species co-exists and survives well with a myriad of unidentified polychaetes (spaghetti worms??). 

I still hesitate to release a lot of information on these as I still dont feel my chops are up in the realm of examination, however the monoculture systems should assist in ruling out the many variables I see.
<message edited by THEJRC on Monday, March 8, 2010 10:47 PM>
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:57 AM

Egg capsule --  shown here.  Pardon the poor image quality as the capsule naturally is in a hard to view area.       

Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:11 PM
okay guys a little success!!  Last night I noticed the first veliger had exited (sometime between 6 pm and 11 pm) and the capsule contained a single white dot, the third egg that never grew at this point had turned a milky color and of course was still small.  This morning the remaining veliger was still in until sometime between 10:30 and 11:41 (noticed the veliger was gone at 11:41).  I snapped the best pictures I could of the empty capsule and then removed the empty capsule for examination under my stereoscope.

Interestingly, I found a large mass of some other larval specimen surrounding and feeding on the capsule, I can only assume that these are copepod or some other nauplii feeding on the remains of the third egg.  I took the best pics I could but once again... I'm not a photographer and my camera is horrid as well.

anyhow here we go!!

The Egg capsule empty from the side

an attempt to show it from the front

and the mass of unidentified critters under the microscope...  once again, poor quality but it'll give you an idea

Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:12 PM
I will be monitoring now until I can spot a snail on substrate!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:51 AM
so after waiting and waiting with no sign of the little buggers I got impatient and re-started my examination cycle.  While feeding the newly added 8 adults this morning, I spotted two juviniles from the previous hatch!!  man these guys are tiny.  Difficult to get pics but I did manage to get a pretty good one here:

Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Friday, February 5, 2010 10:25 PM
rut roh..... (reposted from the species classification request)

hrmm I just noticed issue number one for this, both this and the Nassarius  that I am working on deposit egg capsules very similar in resemblance, difference is zygote count.  so far I've yet to see more than three within a Nassarius  capsule, however count several in the Columbellid capsules.  I also notice several Columbellid close together.  I will reproduce this post in my notes, but it's worthy of mention.

I'll update the pics and such when I have a spare minute, just a quick notice to remind myself later on really!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Friday, March 5, 2010 7:33 AM
and today is 60DPS!!!

and a great shot this morning of the juvinile right next to an adult, Juvinile is approximately 1/4 inch and healthy.  Still only counting one however... oh well.

Pelagically yours,
~J      

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Friday, March 26, 2010 1:13 PM
Joe--I need your help over here: http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?high=&m=37236&mpage=1#37237

Do those look like Colorado Nassarius to you?
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Friday, March 26, 2010 2:52 PM
nope!!!  whorls are much more pronounced and bumpy in your specimen, also it appears yours are much larger... that and the eggs are very different  The N. colorado (lol) lay several eggs in a single capsule whereas it appears yours are laying a mass of capsules each capsule containing a single wee snail.
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:48 PM
and here I go with round 2 (well okay of my study not necessarily the breeding)  I'll post pics when I can get them up but here's the gist.

Today I set up a water bath with 8 mason jars placed inside, the bath is aerated and meant to hold the jar's temp at 78.8*f (waiting to hit stability right now actually).  Two specimens will be moved to each of the 8 jars for examination of the life cycle and spawning process.  All 8 jars are lightly aerated and only 4 of the 8 contain substrate (by means of 1 1/2" fine aragonite sand.

This will be my first controlled study.  Also... despite McKillups mention of a planktonic cycle, after spending the weekend reviewing and comparing shells of various Nassariidae I'm more comfortable that this species is in fact Nassarius pauperus NOT to be confused with Nassarius pauperatus I have taken a few more steps in contacting taxonomists in hopes of an ID.

That is all....    
Pelagically yours,
~J      

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:57 PM
Get update Joe, I look forward to the results of your latest study of these little guys
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Monday, March 29, 2010 9:31 AM
Good luck, Joe!
--Andy, the bucket man.

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:04 AM
Post settlement mortality noticed with first hatch...  Journaling this for documentation purposes

Sunday 5/2 I removed an empty juvinile shell, the second juvinile was doing fine (and I noticed another even younger juvinile!).  The shell will be kept for examination and measurement later but it posesses a total of 5 whorls (including apical) and no physical damage.  Unsure of cause, suspect possible predation from amphipod population.
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:05 AM
Alrighty guys quick general check in... the family all pitched in and got yours truly a Canon EOS Rebel XS SLR for my birthday and it took all of about two hours before I started to play (had to let the battery charge).  It's one of the lower totem pole cameras as far as the canon slr line is but man is it a HUGE jump ahead of my craptastic panasonic 5 megapixel point and suck.... 

Got this shot this morning during feeding time, good shot of the snails to illustrate size differential between adults and juveniles.  For scale the formula one pellet that you see is in fact the "small" and not the medium as the picture's size and detail would make it seem.

god I love this camera!!

Pelagically yours,
~J      

fishboy13
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Reward points : 431
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:22 PM
Cool, great picture Joe .

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:01 PM
Nice, Joe! What lens do you have?
--Andy, the bucket man.

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, July 4, 2010 1:57 PM
lol that was taken with the 18-55 IS that came with the bundle (also got a 75-300).  So far I'm just in the arena of teaching myself how to use the thing.

Hopefully tomorrow or later on in the week I can get over to a camera shop and pick up a macro extension, I'm happy with the lenses thus far but would love to get just a little more magnification.
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:52 PM
It's not bad at all. You can get by with a set of extension tubes. Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Don't bother with the Canon name brand, they are just empty air in there. All tubes do is move the lens away from the camera sensor a little. You want ones, though, that will pass the electronic info from the camera body to the lens, so make sure that they are for Canon and that they have connectors.
--Andy, the bucket man.

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Monday, July 5, 2010 9:20 AM
yeah I was looking at the Opteka, seems like a good deal for the price!  Considering other than the electronics the extension tubes are pretty much nothing more than a spacer full of air... eh, I dont think Canon air is any better than Kenko or Opteka air... (dont tell Canon that though)    
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Monday, July 5, 2010 3:13 PM
lol....  so the Kenko it was, still gotta work on the chops though...  the complimentary first shots

Pelagically yours,
~J      

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Nassarius pauperi - Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:44 PM
Very cool. Now we need to get you a little more light and some noise reduction software.
--Andy, the bucket man.