Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby"

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Friday, January 15, 2010 11:55 PM

Breeding Journal DataSheet for Priolepis hipoliti

General
Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby"
Social Structure: Pairs
Size of Individuals: 1"
Age of Individuals: Unknown (wild caught)
Date added to Tank: 8-29-2006

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 24 gallon nanocube
Substrate Details: live sand, maybe 2"
Filtration Details: stock nanocube filtration
Water Changes: generally 25% weekly
Water Temperature: 78-80F in this tank typically
Lighting: stock Power Compact Flourescent 50/50
Lighting Cycle: this tank may have been on a 14 hour cycle at that point in time (was growing lots of Macroalgae) - always on a timer
Other Tank Inhabitants: At the time, I know there were Seahorses (Hippocampus barbouri) and Mandarins (Synchiropus splendidus). Tank was running as reef.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: All types, but these guys were big on frozen brine and frozen mysis.  Probably gave them cyclopeeze as well
Feeding Schedule: multiple per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: Unknown, but had to have been prior to 9-8-2006 (first hatch, see below)
Spawn Time of Day: Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Unknown
CourtShip Details: Unknown (these guys were VERY secretive)
Egg Size: Unknown
Egg Color: Unknown
Egg Count: Unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: First hatch - 9-8-2006, only 10 days after the pair was added to the tank!!!  Second hatch 9-18-2006, another 10 days.  Obviously capable of spawning multiple times per month.

Hatch Time of Day: After dark
# Days after Spawn: Unknown, as we never saw the nest or observed spawn.
Larve Description: Very small, around 2 mm, pigmented with black.  NOT attracted to light, which made collection of these always problematic.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: Effectively never really tried to rear these - always put them in with other larval marine fish and lost them in short order.
Size of Larval Tank: At the time, typically these would've been 10 gallon tnaks
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: non
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: stock strip light
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes: never got that far with this species

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Were exposed to SS rotifers, but cannot say we had any succcess
Feeding Schedule: Greenwater technique, so continuous.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

Got these as a mated pair, wild caught, from Ken Nedimyer (SeaLifeInc.net).  They spawned many times, but being exceptionally small larvae were not a priority to try to rear.  Lost the pair to an outbreak of Amyloodinium, but it was actually the "Kick Ich" medication that killed all the scaleless fish in the tank including these gobies. 

I never nailed down the exact breeding cycle - typically I'd find the babies when I was trying to collect mandarin eggs after dark.  Spawns certainly appeared to be small based  on the numbers of larvae I'd find...I think the MOST I ever collected was under 25!

Originally reported on Reef Central - http://www.reefcentral.co...s=&threadid=924636

Broodstock Pair:

Larvae at 10X Magnification:

Larva at 60X Magnification:
http://www.cichlidrecipe..m/nanoreef/RG_1_3_60.jpg

<message edited by mPedersen on Monday, January 18, 2010 3:42 PM>

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Monday, January 18, 2010 12:07 AM
Hey Matt, in your hatch event form the link from the olive dottyback points to this thread.

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Monday, January 18, 2010 1:13 AM
Um.  HMM.  I say that because I actually checked that...the spanwing report for "Olive Dottyback" was actually for this one...this species was in the DB, so I had to grab something else for the time being.  Last I checked, the report had been updated with the proper species???

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Monday, January 18, 2010 10:00 AM
I followed the link from the spawning report to get here before I posted. Let me try again.

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Monday, January 18, 2010 10:01 AM
Same thing. Sorry.

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Priolepis hipoliti "Rusty Goby" - Monday, January 18, 2010 2:09 PM
Ah, what you're seeing is that the hatch report still has the WRONG SPECIES NAME on it.  It's supposed to be a report for P. hipoliti.  I can't go back to change that, it's not a field I can edit.  Someone like Chad needs to.