Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish"

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:52 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet for Centropyge argi

General
 Species: Centropyge argi     
 Social Structure: Harems, 1 male, multiple females
 Size of Individuals: 1" and up.  Male is largest in the group.  IN 2010, Male is now almost 3" long, with 2 females around 2" and 2.25"
 Age of Individuals: unknown
 Date added to Tank: 4-25-2007

Broodstock Tank Details
 Size of Tank: 24 gallon nanocube
 Substrate Details: live sand
 Filtration Details: stock filtration with Remora C Skimmmer
 Water Changes: generally 25%, weekly.
 Water Temperature: generally 78-80F
 Lighting: 150 watt Metal Halide     
 Lighting Cycle: generally 12 hours, on a timer
 Other Tank Inhabitants:

Broodstock Feeding Details
 Food Types:  They will eat EVERYTHING offered.  Frozen Brine, Mysis, Spirulina Flake, Spectrum Pellets, Formula 1 and 2 pellets and frozen, Rod's food, Squid,

ANTYHING.
 Feeding Schedule: Multiple times per day.

Spawning Details
 Date of First Spawn: 5-11-07 w was the first recorded spawn in my group.
 Spawn Time of Day: Generally right after the lights go out.
 Dates of Consecutive Spawns: eventually, this group has gotten into spawning daily now for years (as of 2010, I still have 2 from the ORIGINAL group, + 1 replacement from

along the way).
 Courtship Details: Male displays to female in a "soaring" display, and false spawning rises consist of male nuzzling female's abdomen as they rise in the water column. 

Actual spawning is split-second, with male realigning his vent alongside the female as they both shed gametes into the water column and then dash for the rockwork. 

Interestingly, the spawning rise in MY tanks is only 6" or so...these fish come close to, but never hit the water's surface.

Egg Size: roughly 0.6 mm
 Egg Color: clear, with single oil droplet
 Egg Count: HUNDREDS.
 NOTE - Eggs are bouyant and float to the surface.  With pumps turned off, they seem to migrate towards the meniscus around the edges of the tank, where they can be

easily skimmed off.

Hatch Details
 Hatch Date: 5-31-07 - see notes immediately below:

Date of first successful incubation was a spawn that occured on 5-30-2007.  From my notes: "5-30-07 - lights went out at 9:45 PM CDT. First spawn occured at 9:47

PM CDT. Second spawn occured at 9:49 PM CDT. Within four minutes of lights out, both fish are spawned and they're done for the night! "

First hatch occured the following day, 5-31-2007.

Hatch Time of Day: 11:15 AM
 # Days after Spawn: 14 hours post spawn
 Larve Description: to the naked eye, they are tiny black rods.  Upon magnification, they are a prolarvae with some black pigmentation.  See pictures below.

Larval Tank Details - N/A - Have not had any success past 5 days post hatch, which is the starvation point.  Have not tried "too hard though" either given

that I don't have access to any of the known first foods for this species (the nauplii of certain specific species of Calanoid Copepods).
 Temperature:
 Size of Larval Tank:
 Substrate Details:
 Other Tank Decor:
 Filtration Details:
 Lighting:
 Lighting Cycle:
 Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
 Food Types:
 Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
 Date of Settlement Start:
 Days after Hatch:
 Date of Settlement End:
 Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
 Temperature:
 Size of Grow-Out Tank:
 Substrate Details:
 Other Tank Decor:
 Filtration Details:
 Lighting:
 Lighting Cycle:
 Water Changes:
 Size at Transfer:
 Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
 Food Types:
 Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
 Miscellaneous Information:

This was my SECOND attempt at setting up a harem of Centropyge argi.  The first attempt ended with all fish dead from a bacterial or viral disease.  This second

attempt was originally documented on MOFIB at - http://www.marinebreeder....bb/viewtopic.php?t=411

Pictures:

Male and female caught in the act and you can even see the eggs.  Literally a luck, split second shot (what you see here happens in the BLINK of an eye)

539 eggs incubating in a specimen cup hanging in a 10 gallon tank for temperature control - NOTE, the best way I've found to count eggs is to take a picture, and then

go into a photo/paint software at full resolution and mark each egg with a dot as you count, changing colors every group of 100.  Makes counting manageable and relatively

accurate.  See below:

Newly spawned Centropyge argi eggs at 60X magnification

Newly hatched C. argi at 60X magnification

Newly hatched C. argi at 60X magnification next to newly hatched Synchiropus sp. larvae for comparison

72 hours post hatch at 60X

122 hours (5 days) post hatch...longest I've managed to date...

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:56 PM
Matt,
   You mention you don't have the copepod naups to raise them - what species are they actually?  Also how big would you say the larva of these guys are to damsels?  Same size? Bigger? Smaller? 

Sorry to raise this thread up from the ashes, but I'd really like to try these guys.

Thanks a bunch!

thepanfish
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 129
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:33 PM
yea same here love these littli guys, i was going to do a breeding biotope of caribean rubble zone with jawfish (mouthbrooders) and the argi angels what is min tank size for that? 40?

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:25 PM
Reference to the Calanoid Copepods, which species?

Which one did they use at Hawaii with the Flame Angels?  I didn't see that on the report, other then netting wild plankton.

Jake
We are all in this together

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:54 PM
Jake, my understanding is that the Hawaiians used parvocalanus as the best calanoid copepod for flame angels.  But I've also heard that Oithona work for them.  In addition, they collect wild plankton because it is pretty easy to do that in Hawaii.  I think the scuba boats collect plankton as a side income while taking down recreational divers.

If only the rest of us could be that lucky!

Jake
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, February 15, 2015 8:03 PM
That was the one I had heard before, the Oithona is new. All bear  looking at. Is there a possible source of those other then Hawaii?  I had read about the wild plankton in their report.  We're a little short of that here in Michigan.

I have been googling for sources but so far not much, will keep at it.

Thanks. Its appreciated.
Jake

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, February 15, 2015 9:36 PM
Jake, if you are asking about possible sources of parvo other than Hawaii, yes there are many commercial sources.  If you're asking about Oithona, the only people I know working with them are the Rising Tide folks, but I am probably missing others.  You don't need both because they are about the same size, you probably just need one or the other.  I believe in Hawaii they started with both but the parvo outcompeted the Oithona over time and it became more of a monoculture.  

Actually you never know what you'll get in Michigan.  I've found euterpina acutifrons in several fresh water sources and they can be acclimated to higher salinities.  The release of ballast water from ships has spread many zooplankton around the world as alien species.  You might be surprised at what you can find in Michigan.

Jake
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Monday, February 16, 2015 7:25 AM
Thanks Dave, our fresh water is a little buried under ice right now , but I will be cruising some marshes in several months anyhow. Its -16 here as I write. I got one source of parvo up front and personal in this thread, so that's appreciated. This is a great resource .
Jake

Jake
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:01 AM
As an addenda Reed Mariculture has all of the cultures I want, and then some.  I am setting up 2 tanks in a couple of weeks for harems plus some soft  corals, etc, but the Centropyge will be the main residents. 
Jake

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, March 8, 2015 5:18 PM
So what precisely are you getting from the fine folks at Reed?

Jake
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:34 PM
Precisely ??  Strange question.

I have Brine Shrimp eggs, and rotifers, also have Iso, but their other  phyto might as well have, along with their copepods. Do you want me to give the precise species ID? 

Jake

Jake
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:36 PM
I'll bow out of your journal now.
Jake

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge argi "Pygmy Angelfish" - Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:36 PM
Reed sells parvocalanus now, if I am not mistaken.  They ship their pods so that they live, in my experience.  Highly recommended, life is.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)