Breeding Journal, Species: Porcellana sayana? (Porcelain Crab)

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Breeding Journal, Species: Porcellana sayana? (Porcelain Crab) - Friday, February 5, 2010 4:41 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet for Porcellana sayana

General
Species: Porcellana sayana? - This is the only name I have seen applied to these Porcelain Crabs coming in from Florida collectors.  It is not known if it is an accurate indentification.
Social Structure: individual.  Unknown whether they are hermaphrodites or gonochorists.
Size of Individuals: 1"+ across
Age of Individuals: unknown, all are wild caught
Date added to Tank: varies...I've had some for years now, and we always just keep a few in the tank

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 24 gallon nanocube
Substrate Details: live sand
Filtration Details: stock filtration
Water Changes: 25% weekly
Water Temperature: 78-82F
Lighting: stock twin power compacts with 50/50 bulbs
Lighting Cycle: 12 hours on, on timer
Other Tank Inhabitants: Many others over the years, including peppermint shrimps.  We keep our Porcellain Crabs in the Onyx Percula (Amphiprion percula) broodstock tank.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: anything they can get their claws on
Feeding Schedule: multiple feedings per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: Completely and totally unknown
Spawn Time of Day: unknown, never observed mating
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: again, unknown
CourtShip Details: fully unknown
Egg Size: never observed
Egg Color: again, unknown
Egg Count: unknown, but easily in the hundreds based on the number of larvae we collected

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 5/12/2008
Hatch Time of Day: 1:00 AM
# Days after Spawn: unknown
Larve Description: UNMISTAKEABLE.  They have a "rostratum" that is like 10X the length of the rest of their body.  There is also a protrusion from the back of the head of sorts.  They have big silvery eyes, and the rest of the body kindof hangs down like a shrimp tail...  Pictures will do it far better justice

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 82F
Size of Larval Tank: 10 gallon tank, initially half filled with broodstock tank water
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: 18" 15 watt strip light
Lighting Cycle: probably was on for around 18 hours per day
Water Changes: none

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: initially, offered nauplii of Tigriops californicus (Tiggerpods).  Added in greenwater that included Nanno, Tet, T-Iso and Rhodomonas.  Baby Brine shrimp were not already on hand, so it took about 2 days to have those to offer.  I dont' recall adding any rotifers at any time, nor did I document any rotifers in my notes.
Feeding Schedule: kinda ad-hoc...was feeding enriched baby brine once I had it twice per day, but they initially didn't go through much if they were even eating it.  Only saw actually feeding 7 days after hatch

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

Originally documented on MOFIB - http://www.marinebreeder....c.php?f=196&t=2656

Longest I made it was 10 days out...based on the information I had, another crab from this genus was reared in the lab, and well, these guys should be possible.  I may try these again...they're fun little crabs and make great additions to a reef tank.

Here's what the parents look like:

Newly hatched at 10X - look towards the bottom, and notice the extremely long rostratum

Newly hatched at 60X

MBI...or it never happened...

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Porcellana sayana? (Porcelain Crab) - Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:04 PM
just got one of these in today. Can you tell the difference in male and female?