Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback)

Scottt
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 341
Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Friday, March 26, 2010 10:45 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pseudochromis fridmani
Social Structure:
Size of Individuals:
Age of Individuals:
Date added to Tank: Aquired from ORA through a LFS in mid 2009, moved in Feb 2010
Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  15gal
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Filtration Details: On a broodstock system.  LR and Algal Scrubber.
Water Changes: 1.6% weekly
Water Temperature: 80.0F
Lighting: T8
Lighting Cycle: 14on/ 10off
Other Tank Inhabitants: none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: cyclops, mysis, homemade: shrimp, clams, squid, fish flesh, gelitin vegitable food, garlic, selco
Feeding Schedule: 3 times daily M-F, 1 time daily Sat & Sun

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: March 26th 2010
Spawn Time of Day: Between lunch and dinner
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:
Courtship Details:
Egg Size: 3/4" ball
Egg Color: white/pink?
Egg Count:

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larvae Description:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Woohoo!! they spawned!

Scottt
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:49 PM
Well its day 2 and the male hasn't eaten the eggs yet!  2 more days and I'll try and hatch them.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:19 PM
What's your plan for hatching?
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Scottt
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:45 PM
I was planning on following your methods Cheers

The 4th night, A funnel near a bright light, with some bubbles.  Then to a BRT with 24/7 lighting, rotifers, and greenwater.  I ordered some Algamac, but it won't be in for this hatch.  Prob won't have great success due to the lack of it.  I had an S strain of rots, but I crashed it just in time :-).  I'm trying to revive it.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:00 PM
I have good luck just using nanno (greenwater) and rots for the first couple of weeks. It's meta that's tough. Copepods help then.

Scottt
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:45 PM
Thanks for the info.  Any other tips?  I don't have copepods :-(  Maybe my algamac will be here then, I hear good things about it.

I tried culturing a. tonsa, but I killed my t.iso culture...  Wish it was easier to grow copepods.  Do harpactecoid copepod's work for what you are talking about with the dottybacks?

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:08 PM
I was told that the best alternative to copepods is highly enriched rotifers (Algamac) and 24/7 lighting. Thanks Witt

The copepods I use are most likely harpacticiods but not 100% sure on the ID. They turned up in my outdoor rotifer and BS tubs last summer. I co-culture them with my rotifers during the winter. The only problem is that they don't reproduce as quickly as I'd like.

Scottt
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:03 PM
Pretty neat Tal.  Do you culture your rotifers/copepods using a reed meticulture product?  I was just thinking about buying a culture from you .

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:14 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Scottt

Pretty neat Tal.  Do you culture your rotifers/copepods using a reed meticulture product?  I was just thinking about buying a culture from you .

Are you referring to what I feed them? If so, I feed the indoor rotifer/pod cultures with REED's IA... T-Iso in the am and RotiferHD in the evening.

As far as the critters themselves, the rotifers came from various sources and I'm not exactly sure where the 'pods came from. They just kinda showed up, lol.

I'd be happy to send you a starter if you like. 

Scottt
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Monday, March 29, 2010 8:43 PM
Mr. Orchid ate the eggs today (day 3).  I was beginning to think they had been spawning w/o me knowing.  But, looks like this was their first spawn.  Pretty good him getting to day 3 if you ask me.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Monday, March 29, 2010 8:57 PM
That is very good! It took mine a few months to take care of the eggs up to term.

Don't sweat it. Once they get going they should spawn every 7-8 days and you'll have your hands full.