Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Allardi Pair #2 (Formerly listed as A. Sebae)

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Allardi Pair #2 (Formerly listed as A. Sebae) - Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:14 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Amphiprion Allardi (Formerly Sebae)
Social Structure: Pair
Size of Individuals: Female 3", Male 2"
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 4/8/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 10G
Substrate Details: Barebottom
Filtration Details: Plumbed into system
Water Changes: 30G monthly
Water Temperature: 78F
Lighting: Shop Lighting
Lighting Cycle: 16hrs/day
Other Tank Inhabitants: none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: various frozen mixes, flake, bloodworms
Feeding Schedule: 3x daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:
Spawn Time of Day:
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:
Courtship Details:
Egg Size:
Egg Color:
Egg Count:

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larvae Description:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by mhowe9 on Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:31 PM>

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:16 PM
Here are some new pics of the A. Sebae pair that I had delivered today.

AJ
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 680
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:30 PM
Great looking fish!

AJ

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:43 PM
They look good. 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

slosht
  • Total Posts : 178
  • Reward points : 1162
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:45 PM
Nice looking pair.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, April 9, 2010 1:00 AM
They're not A. sebae, I'm 99% sure.  They look very much like A. allardi (which happens to be one of my favorites).  I strongly suggest checking in on your source for more info on what they are, where they came from etc, that may give you a better idea of what they are.  But they're not A. sebae.  A. sebae are more closely related to the Saddleback Complex and look like this:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/clown20sebae.jpg

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, April 9, 2010 4:10 AM
Matt,  here is the source where I got them from.  I actually have some A. Allardi coming today.   I'll do some more research to make sure these are what I was told they were.

Yellow Belly Sebae Clownfish
Amphiprion Sebae

Description: From Sri Lanka, the Black and Yellow Sebae Clownfish, also known as Seba's Anemonefish, is black with wide white stripes and a yellow-orange head and bright yellow belly. The Sebae Clownfish is probably one of the best known clownfish. It is a beautiful fish. They are a fun addition to a marine aquarium and can be kept in either an all fish aquarium or in a reef environment. They like to have a host anemone, but it is not necessary. They can get along with a variety of peaceful to semi-aggressive tank mates. A rock/ coral decor that has many nooks and crannies for hiding and retreat will help avert aggression.
Minimum tank size: 20 Gallon
Feeding and diet: The Yellow Belly Sebae Clownfish will accept a wide variety of foods. Feed all kinds of live, frozen, and flake foods. Best to feed small amounts. In a reef situation they don't really need to be fed very often at all.
Reef Compatibility: Excellent For Reeftanks
Level of Care: Easy
Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 3/4" to 1"; Medium: 1-1/4" to 2"; Large: 2-1/4" to 4"
Starting at $24.99 Mated Pairs Sometimes Available!

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, April 9, 2010 7:14 AM
Took a look at fishbase.org for both A. Sebae and A. Allardi.  In terms of the descriptions they are no specific determining factors in terms of Dorsal or Anal rays and spines

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=11836&genusname=Amphiprion&speciesname=allardi&lang=English

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=11846&genusname=Amphiprion&speciesname=sebae&lang=English 

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, April 9, 2010 12:14 PM
I did some more looking around seems that A. Sebae and A. Clarkii are often confused for one another.  I will post the pics on rareclownfish .com and see what I find out.

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, April 9, 2010 6:05 PM
My Allardi's came today.  They are definately hard to tell apart.  The coloration is different especially in the tail.  I will see if I can make some more observations.  I was able to get a comparison shot.

Possible A. Sebae

A. Allardi

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:12 AM
I have couple of responses on my thread on rareclownfish.   Looks like A. Allardi might be the winner. 
<message edited by mhowe9 on Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:57 PM>

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:00 PM
Just picked these guys up today

They were sold as Sebae..
Attached Image(s)
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:51 PM
Cool Chad. 

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:36 PM
I think that I have seen enough that I can officially declare A. Allardi the winner.  After looking enough pics and the two pairs of fish.  I can say they are exactly the same.  First post updated

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mhowe9

A. Allardi

I'm not sure about this second fish being A. allardi.  It certainly doesn't have the characateristics of A. allardi.  It almost looks as if it's A. chrysopterus.  Can you tell us more about this fish?

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:35 AM
Matt.  I don't have as much info on this fish.  I bought the Allardi's online as 2 fish of different sizes in order to make the pair.  Unfortunately I don't have much more info as to the location as to where this fish came from.  I will have to do so more research and see

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:31 AM
Matt. I don't have as much info on this fish. I bought the Allardi's online as 2 fish of different sizes in order to make the pair. Unfortunately I don't have much more info as to the location as to where this fish came from. I will have to do so more research and see

The thing that's all wrong is the brown coloration on the body and dark ventral and anal fins.  -edit- the midstripe too..looks thin for "Allardi". 

It still could be an Allardi, but honestly, it's Blue Stripe's that tend to be more brown.  Headstripe though says Allardi...we'll have to see how the larger fish develops.

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:27 PM
Matt after taking a look a fishbase.  Didn't have a ton of time to research.  Looks a lot more like A. Chrysopterus.  We will see how it develops. 

So my original order

Thursday  (4/8/10):
1 pair A. Seabe

Friday (4/9/10):
1 small A. Allardi
1 Medium A. Allardi

What I ended up with

Thursday (4/9/10):
I pair A. Allardi

Friday
1 A. Allardi
1 A. Chrysopterus (possibly)

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:46 PM
This is why I don't buy fish online
Agis quod Adis

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:53 PM
I learned my lesson didn't I.  I should try to order another Allardi to see if I get another Chrysopterus

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by cmpenney

This is why I don't buy fish online

Buying them in person isn't without it's problems either: 
http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=37798  

<message edited by Fishtal on Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:42 PM>
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:19 PM
True
Agis quod Adis

ramonfernandez
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 20
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, August 12, 2011 7:04 AM
They really look pretty much the same.  I probably can't tell the difference between them.  Must be distant relatives and I mean distant.  They are found on different parts of the world it seems.

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Sebae - Friday, August 12, 2011 7:46 AM

Matt,  here is the source where I got them from.  I actually have some A. Allardi coming today.   I'll do some more research to make sure these are what I was told they were.

Yellow Belly Sebae Clownfish
Amphiprion Sebae

Description: From Sri Lanka, the Black and Yellow Sebae Clownfish, also known as Seba's Anemonefish, is black with wide white stripes and a yellow-orange head and bright yellow belly. The Sebae Clownfish is probably one of the best known clownfish. It is a beautiful fish. They are a fun addition to a marine aquarium and can be kept in either an all fish aquarium or in a reef environment. They like to have a host anemone, but it is not necessary. They can get along with a variety of peaceful to semi-aggressive tank mates. A rock/ coral decor that has many nooks and crannies for hiding and retreat will help avert aggression.
Minimum tank size: 20 Gallon
Feeding and diet: The Yellow Belly Sebae Clownfish will accept a wide variety of foods. Feed all kinds of live, frozen, and flake foods. Best to feed small amounts. In a reef situation they don't really need to be fed very often at all.
Reef Compatibility: Excellent For Reeftanks
Level of Care: Easy
Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 3/4" to 1"; Medium: 1-1/4" to 2"; Large: 2-1/4" to 4"
Starting at $24.99 Mated Pairs Sometimes Available!

You didn't happen to buy these from Aquatic Connection in Florida did you?