Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:36 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure: pair
Size of Individuals: Approx. 3 inches     
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 4/28/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 29G Cube
Substrate Details: sand
Filtration Details: bioballs and live rock
Water Changes: 5 gal monthly
Water Temperature: 80F
Lighting: PC lighting
Lighting Cycle: varies not on timer
Other Tank Inhabitants: 3 threadfin cardinals, 3 juvenile occelaris clowns

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: various frozen, spirulina, pellet, bloodworms, etc.
Feeding Schedule: 3x per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 4/28/2010 per store employee (see below)
Spawn Time of Day: unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 7/21/2010
Courtship Details: Didn't see courtship
Egg Size: approx. 1mm
Egg Color: pinkish
Egg Count: unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larvae Description:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by mhowe9 on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:17 PM>

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:45 PM
I was out delivering flyers for the conference today and found a pair of banggai with the male holding.  I asked the employee if they for sales and he said yes.  He told me that they just noticed the male holding this morning.  So I went ahead and purchased the fish.  Unfortunately the male dropped the eggs when he was put in the bag.

When I got home, I quickly threw together a makeshift egg tumbler out of a pop bottle, some airline tubing, and an airstone.  I placed the make shift egg tumbler into the BRT where my juvenile clowns are living.  I don't have very high hopes about getting these to hatch but we will see how it goes.  Here are some pics

Eggs (Day 1)

Makeshift eggs tumbler

I will post some pics of the fish tomorrow after they settle into their new home.

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:21 PM
I finally was able to sit down for a couple of minutes and do some research.  Kind of bad timing since I had my daughter by myself tonight.  Based on that we now have Egg Tumbler on the Fly 2.0.  Basically the same as the first but I inverted the pop bottle.

Here is a pic.  You can the eggs better in this pic too.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:42 PM
Nothing is better than necessity for invention!

Good luck

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:17 PM
Good luck on the eggs.

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:31 PM
The pair seemed to have settled in a little better to their new home.  I haven't seen them eat but they seem less stressed.  I have added some plastic plants that I had from my old freshwater tank.  They seem to like to hang out in them.  Here are a couple of pics of the pair

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:37 PM
Egg update:  The new tumbler is working a lot better.  There has been a lot better egg movement.  The eggs have broken apart from the mass and are tumbling individually.  Other than that, they seem to be doing ok

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:22 PM
Sorry if I didn't update this but the egg tumbler was a failure.  I ended up moving these guys a couple of weeks ago to a 29G cube that I had setup in my living room.  I went and looked today and the male is carrying eggs.  I was able verify it since he didn't eat tonight and I saw him chewing the eggs on a couple of occasions.  Here is a ok video (Sorry for some of the algae, I didn't clean since I didn't want to spook him). 

mhowe9
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 - Friday, July 23, 2010 8:08 PM
Bad News ... He ate the eggs.  So that's a 2 day hold.  I guess that's a start.  Here some pics I took the other night that I didn't have a chance to upload.