Food Culture Journal: Tigriopus japonicus

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Food Culture Journal: Tigriopus japonicus - Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:00 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tigriopus japonicus
Species description:  Intertidal Harpacticoid Copepod similar to Tigriopus californicus but posessing smaller size approx 100-800 micron
Culture source (link if possible):  unknown, isolated from cross cultures
If algae, CCMP # (ref http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/ ): 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.022
Temperature:  ambient 72*F
Vessel description:  4 quart sterilite snapware container (tall vertical)
Lighting description:  3 dual tube normal output flourescents using 34 watt 3500K bulbs
Lighting cycle:  14 hours on, 10 hours off
Aeration description:  rigid airline placed near bottom of vessel, medium bubble rate (approximately 20 bubbles per second)

Methodologies
Split methodology: Cultures are split based on water "clearing" rate.  cultures are fed a mixture of live algae cultures (typically nannochloropsis, tetraselmis, thallasiosira, and gymnodinium) replacing one third of the culture medium, a second third is replaced with ASW at 1.022 salinity.  the remaining third is retained.

Culture medium description: 
1.022 ASW and a variety of algae from cultures

Cell count:
 (if known) N/A  typical population count averages 4-12 specimens per ml

Reference links:  

Additional Information
Notes:  Fairly common in cultures, Tigriopus is a staple harpacticoid within the marine hobby.  These specimens were isolated from my display several years ago and have performed well in monoculture.  Culture density can be raised by placing sections of egg crate vertically in the culture vessels to provide for more surface area.  Are extremely resiliant to temperature and salinity swings and the smaller size aids in feeding response from smaller live feeders such as pipefish.   Due to smaller size and fast regeneration time this may be a species worth studying for a first or second food source.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by cmpenney on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:23 AM>
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Food Culture Journal: Tigriopus japonicus - Monday, May 10, 2010 9:19 PM
Joe,

I've read that many people use bio-balls or the like as additional surface area for harps.  Have you ever tried to use those instead of the egg crate?

Thanks

Quick edit:

I've got a 7gallon tank set up as a refugium and I've got a kazillion harps all over the walls.  I know you mention feeding this as food for them (as well as a couple other types).  Do you notice a difference in egg production with live phyto or paste?  I'm not feeding the tank at all, yet I've got scads of them - any pics?

Thanks again!

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Food Culture Journal: Tigriopus japonicus - Monday, May 10, 2010 9:22 PM
I have attempted the bio balls, they did okay but in either event the population density increase with both methods is not great.  I've had better luck cleaning and working with the egg crate as I can quickly brush the surface during cleaning runs.   
Pelagically yours,
~J      

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Food Culture Journal: Tigriopus japonicus - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:32 AM
I'd like to see some pictures of your culturing setup as well. I'm planning to attempt to seperate and culture some copepods from my sump in the near future and would like to see how you setup your system.
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis