Peppermint Shrimp ID Article

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:31 PM
Got this link from a buddy in Italy: http://translate.googleus...e=UTF8&langpair=it|en&u=http://www.acquaportal.it/_ARCHIVIO/ARTICOLI-2/occhio_wurde.asp&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhiP_jE23EG1RSaGik4EIgTCiCqlmQ

The link is funky but here is the article by Alessandro Falco:

More than once I have received, the desperate search for Lysmata wurdemanni Internet, other species are quite similar and more common than we can imagine. 
I happened long ago, even to recognize one true example of Lysmata wurdemanni, all 'inside of a handful of these young people "false wurdemanni" all' inside of a shop in the north.
And it is these that I want to talk about shrimp. 
Even the trade name, Peppermint shrimp, with which means both, but other species, probably misleads the importation and sale of causing confusion among purchasers.

The three species comparison: schematic of the streaks.
Lysmata wurdemanni Aiptasia-eating is definitely the ultimate, reported and documented anywhere but it is not the kind that I will discuss in this short article. Species Lysmata Boggess stars of today and finally Lysmata seticaudata, both often sold for what they are not.
Lysmata Boggess is a species of South and Central America, many of which are caught in Miami, unlike L.wurdemanni, eggs are orange-green, with a touch of gray when they are close to hatching. 
The species has a less strong than the color red wurdemanni of developing a widespread tendency to pink color and marked by alternating narrow lines and red lines to larger and pink. 
Note however that in Lysmata wurdemanni drawing from the upper, consisting of longitudinal lines that sketch a stripes in the abdominal area. 
Lysmata Boggess does not have these stripes, keeping over the abdomen of the longitudinal lines of 'which has already been described.

Highlight the different livery of this beautiful L.boggessi.
The differences between the two species in terms of behavioral and social are almost nil, as both peaceful and shy. 
Coexistence between the two species is certainly possible without problems. 
To want to add a similarity between the two, recent studies have shown that these two species of Lysmata, more gregarious of L.amboinensis or debelius (who prefer a life couple), are present more estetaschi (Aquaculture Division, Shanghai University 2008).

Lysmata Boggess
Lysmata wurdemanni
The estetaschi are none other than the receptors in the antennae, acts to steal the sexual messages (pheromones) of conspecifics. 
They are not common to all shrimp, but unique feature of the genus Lysmata. 
L.boggessi seems also useful against aiptasia just like "wurde cousins, friends who could not be guaranteed to breed the species which I am illustrating. 
Personally I do not aiptasia in my tanks, so I can not launch into some interesting experiments. Ultimately I think L.boggessi an alternative to classic wurdemanni. 
So why I wrote this article? 
Why it is important or at least really interesting to know which species you have in your aquarium.
Something different must be done instead for Lysmata seticaudata. Same size, design very similar to L.boggessi ... but living in the Mediterranean! 
Just see in the picture how many I have received a gift, just to study them, by my dear friend Livy, with one pot over a night on the rocks of my sea.

Just a small pot to catch dozens of Lysmata seticaudata.
This species prefers lower temperatures and salinity obviously different, and certainly not worth the 20 euros that would ask a shop for that animal. 
The drawing wide lines alternating pink, edged deep red and white striped transparent. 
Can not go wrong but in the transition from abdomen cephalothorax. 
At this point the lines L.seticaudata continue straight as a whole, in L.boggessi seem to bend 45 degrees in the direction of 'eye.

Lysmata seticaudata 
(Photo by Peter Aston)
Even for this species can not document an effective fight against tropical Aiptasia, but definitely active against those Mediterranean (Department of Animal Biology Lisbon, 2005). 
The speech would go on for hours if we were comparing Lysmata wurde similar to but less on the Italian market as L.rathbunae (Chace, 1970) and L.californica (Stimpson 1866) in unnecessary combat aiptasia L.zacae as well (Armstrong, 1941), L.intermedia (Kingsley, 1871), L. Kuekenthali (de Man, 1902) L.multiscissa (Noble, 1904).
For those unsure about what to buy, or would like more information can contact me at the usual emailfalcoalessandro (at) gmail.com .

http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

fishboy13
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 431
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:55 PM
Very interesting Tal, looks like I may have L. boggessi.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:57 PM
You know, I think thats the first time I've ever seen those three species laid out like that.  Way cool, thanks Tal!

Fishtal
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

You know, I think thats the first time I've ever seen those three species laid out like that.  Way cool, thanks Tal!

Isn't that great? Sorry the link doesn't work... it was translated from Italian by google translate so it doesn't work.

kileysmama
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Reward points : 840
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:46 AM
It only took me an hour to puzzle through the text, lol.  Pictures and patterns are clear enough, though!  Thanks!

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:55 PM

Caesra
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:40 PM
excellent..thx

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, April 8, 2013 12:26 AM
WHY am I only seeing this now.  EVERY Peppermint Shrimp breeding report I see will now get put against this!

Fishtal
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, April 8, 2013 12:31 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

WHY am I only seeing this now.  EVERY Peppermint Shrimp breeding report I see will now get put against this!

It's been here for a while...

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 74
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, April 8, 2013 12:35 AM
FYI: I speak fluent Italian, let me know if you need translation in the future.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, April 8, 2013 1:11 AM
Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH

+1

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, April 8, 2013 7:37 AM
Andrew Rhyne's paper is where I get my species suggestions from.

Long story short, yellow/orange eggs OR absence of transverse line on the back rules out wurdemanni and points mostly to boggesii.
Anderson.

mmoner
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, September 23, 2013 4:34 AM

mPedersen
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Monday, September 23, 2013 4:32 PM

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:01 PM

Taking a look at the reports for wurdemanni I would say they are all boggesii.

mPedersen
Re:Peppermint Shrimp ID Article - Friday, February 20, 2015 1:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Mdoty

Taking a look at the reports for wurdemanni I would say they are all boggesii.

Mike, I'm guessing you've already done that?  You should create a list of the ones that might need to get reassigned!