Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:52 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Mysidopsis bahia
Species description:  Common mysid found in reef aquaria and aquaculture
Culture source (link if possible): 
If algae, CCMP # (ref http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/ ): 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.026
Temperature:  78*
Vessel description:  Will be 10 gallon system (starting journal for design considerations) 
Lighting description: 
Lighting cycle: 
Aeration description: 

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description: 
(this could range, example with algae could be “10ml per l of guillards F formulation” or with A. tonsa it would be more like “300ml per day of algal mixture containing gymnodynium, tetraselmis, isochrysis, and rhodomonas” )

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
Notes:  Journal starting early to detail my design considerations surrounding the culture vessel.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by cmpenney on Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:27 AM>
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:59 AM
Alright getting this one underway....  Specimens will be collected and separated from my running system which I will detail after I build the culture tank in detail here.

My culture tank design is a modification of the airlift recurculating separating system outlined in The Plankton Culture Manual (F. Hoff, T. Snell) with some new considerations.  After looking at Andy's method of screened PVC I spent some time re-thinking the whole design.  Rather than utilize two separate tanks, an airlift and a return siphon as is in Hoffs design I decided to go with a single tank with a baffle to separate sides.  A screened airlift will be used to move water (and fry) from the adult section through a bulkhead in the baffle to the fry section.  overflow will return to the adult section via another bulkhead which posesses a PVC pipe screened lenghtwise on the fry end of the baffle.  As is in Hoffs design, adults will need to be manually separated from the fry section as they grow. I am considering other methods to automate this process...

so here we have my quickie diagram and parts list for my initial test

Pelagically yours,
~J      

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:51 AM
I have no clue about what you're doing, but it looks cool

fishboy13
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Reward points : 431
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:15 PM
Wow this is going to be really cool .  I'm going to have to setup a system like this to get mysis for my broodstock since they love eating them.  I have a pretty large culture going in my fuge but it's under the tank, if I'm going to do it right I would need to do an above the tank fuge.  Good luck with your design Joe .

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:43 PM
still in infancy, and of course my time is strapped but I wanted to try and do a few journals on the food culturing start to finish to hopefully inspire a few others to poke the same anthill with a stick...

it's fun!    
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:00 PM
and here we go...

start with a ten gallon tank...

it's a bit rough so we'll clean the glass with some denatured alcohol

helps the silicone stick!!  then we measure for a baffle (this one goes almost to the top)  using simple plexiglass

then we cut (natch)

drill it (by way of drill press) then silicone it in... always handy to cut some wood jigs and use clamps to keep the thing solid.

cut two lengths of 1/2 inch pipe to suit... (in this case I did 7 inches) and drill a bunch o holes (these will be for airlift and overflow assembly)

add a couple of endcaps, two bulkheads, two threaded couplings, an elbow, and a short peice (for elbow to thread) and well...

dont forget to drill the hole in the elbow for the rigid on your airlift.... 

(obvious howto here huh)  do a quick mockup to make sure it looks okay

note the offset (airlift side s higher than the overflow side)

Not to mention timmy the swearing turtle watching over my cup of coffee...  now we grab our mesh... plastic screening for the airlift (approx 800um) and a filter bag for the overflow (average around 200um)

wrap the screen tight and zip tie to hold it over the airlift... 

For the overflow, because the smaller mesh is hard to work with consider dabbing superglue along one edge, let it set and then wrap around hold tight and zip tie

put the stupid thing back together... wait for the silicone to dry (have a beer you've worked hard!!) and then... pray the stupid thing works...

more on this later.. need a few days to let it cure!!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

fishboy13
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:11 PM
Yeah, it is beautiful .  Today I was drilling holes and stuff for my broodstock tanks.  The only problem was that everything that me and my dad needed we didn't have which got really annoying.  We got the tanks drilled and then we realized that we didn't have any PVC, then we got the PVC and we didn't have any PVC glue.  Needless to say we decided to push this project off for one more day.

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:18 PM
hrmm.. Kevin... remind me if I ever get out there to have a serious sit down with you and your dad... two words

MAN... SHED....

see... a while ago the wife started to comment on the clutter in the garage... the PVC, the glue... the wires, cables, tape, chemicals, carts, boxes, stuff, junk.... tools, ladders, wood, more tools...

so I remedied the situation... I got a man shed... i.e. a shed of manly proportions... 10 x 12 with a loft and of course a window... needless to say the man shed required a new toolbox... so of course... toolbox ensued... much of the larger tools went to the man shed, and storage areas for lumber, pvc, peice parts et all were erected for the rest... leaving me with an empty garage...

now... let it be said...  she still complains about the new clutter... but hey I got more lumber, more pvc, more tools, more peice parts... and a MAN SHED!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

fishboy13
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:37 AM
The only problem is that the neighborhood will not let us get a shed, and I doubt that my sisters would give up their treefort.  Looks like until I move out I will be stuck in the clutter .

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:45 PM
Alright guys general update, the silicone has dry cured for a little over 24 hours and I am now wet curing the system with water and vinegar (helps to ensure the silicone doesnt leech later on). 

The airlift works as planned!!  One caveat to mention that I found is that some of the air bubbles tend to come out of the sides of the airlift tube as they travel upwards.  I used 1/2 inch pvc for this design, should you consider reproducing you may want to switch to 3/4 or 1 inch for at least the airlift tube. 
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Friday, June 4, 2010 6:18 AM
Alright guys, a little slow to update this one but it's been hectic (as is normal for me I guess).

Tuesday morning I was able to capture via siphon hose some adults from my system, I sieved the capture with a 250um plankton collector I picked up at florida aqua farms www.florida-aqua-farms.com .

Capture count came out at 18 adults (wasnt a huge capture, not a huge attempt for that matter).

The tank was fed a small amount of prime reef flake, and a few formula one marine pellets.  Yesterday I dumped 60ml of rotifer culture in for good measure.

The specimens seem to be doing fairly well, though I am noticing they crowd the corners, I may have to add some form of substrate / surface filler like I do with my harpacticoids to get them to use all available space.  The biggest problem I am encountering is the fact that I used 1/2 inch pvc for the airlift.  I will be changing this out for 3/4 inch as soon as I have time as it's just too small.

I'll upload pics when I get some time to clean them up, not a whole lot to look at really, a tank... some tubing... water...  and shrimp that are too small for my camera to capture very well... ugh I need a new cam.
Pelagically yours,
~J      

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:12 AM
Got some open time this morning so I decided to check in on this culture seeing as how I've left it pretty much alone other than feeding, cleaning the screens, and topping off...

Sadly...  no visible population this time around, I'm ticking this one off as the first run failure but not defeat.  Seeing how the system ran gave me a lot of insight for future designs.  A larger airlift pipe is definately needed (1/2 inch was just too small).  and because of the nature of Mysidopsis bahia (Americamysis bahia as new name) I think a shallower culture vessel would improve things.  The mysids tend to hug the corners and the edges of the bottom so separation by the airlift was probably not capturing the larval stages.

I think the next design might incorporate more of a flattened long screened opening fashioned from acrylic run to a reducer to bring it to a 3/4 inch standpipe.  I will probably add crushed coral substrate as well to increase biological filtration as well as hiding surface.

Other ideas abound, including the thought of using a small low flow pump with screen and sponge in the larval section, and rather than screening an airlift to move larvae over, cutting an opening in the divider near the bottom and placing a screened insert there.  This will make cleaning the screen a touch difficult but will allow for better separation rates.

Back to the drawing board on this one!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Hellaenergy
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Reward points : 252
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by
Mysidopsis bahia

Did you ever get any pics or a movie of this vessel in action? I would like to see it go
Live and Learn

THEJRC
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:02 PM
lol I've got some sad footage yes, but none of it's really worth looking at, airlift pulls water up, overflow lets water in...

explaining this hobby to friends and family has been likewise...  they dont understand why I get so extremely excited watching water flow only slightly through plumbing... it's like having a soccer announcer in the background while watching paint dry (at least thats how my nephew puts it).

and sadly in this case (lol well in most of my cases...) he's right
Pelagically yours,
~J      

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Food Culture Journal Mysidopsis bahia - Monday, August 5, 2013 6:29 PM
can I re-awaken this dead thread? Did you ever get anywhere with this design? After you bumped it up to 3/4" piping did it work as you anticipated?