Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail

thepanfish
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 129
Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:51 AM
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system
General
Species:  Cerith Snail Certhium altratum
Social Structure: -
Size of Individuals: assorted 
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  55 gallon  
Substrate Details: crushed aragonite 
Filtration Details: Marineland 280 HOB filter 
Water Changes: 1 per month 
Water Temperature:  80 degrees
Lighting: 4 T5HO 2 atinics
Lighting Cycle:
Other tank inhabitants: cleaner shrimp, 2 percula clowns, green mandarin, clown fairy wrasse, assorted snails/ hermits, 3 green chromis
Broodstock Feeding Details

Food Types: -

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:May 28 2010
Time of Day:  morning
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: -
Courtship Details: -

Egg Size: .1-.2mm
Egg Color: whitish tan

Hatch Details
ate: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by thepanfish on Monday, May 31, 2010 11:06 AM>

thepanfish
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:54 AM
After being inspired by Kevin's sucessful breeding, I posted this myself.
Sorry about the journal, my computer was self deleting everything i typed?
Does mbi count this as a species for breeder points?

fishboy13
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Reward points : 431
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:56 AM
Yes this is counted for breeder points.  Glad that I was able to inspire you to breed this species , if you need any help on getting the larvae to survive let me know,
Kevin

thepanfish
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:11 PM
Here is my pic proof, blue to bring out eggs, you couldn't see them with t5
Attached Image(s)

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Monday, May 31, 2010 9:59 AM
[This post was marked as helpful]
I posted this message in response to your report submission.

"I'm curious about the size reported...it doesn't match up in the scale of the picture that each egg is 1-2 MM.  Luis, take a picture of that same spot with a metric ruler on the glass.  Even if the eggs are no longer present, if you can match up some gravel / sand grains you can derive a true scale and get a more accurate measurement of the strand size as well as the size of individual eggs.

Have to be a stickler on stuff like this.  Need accurate info in the report before I can approve it."

Please get us a more accurate size.  I really feel like those eggs might only be 0.1 mm or something...it seems like the scale is way off in your report.  The reason for accuracy is that other people may one day use your report to help determine if their own snails are spawning...

thepanfish
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Monday, May 31, 2010 11:05 AM
Im  very sorry Matt you are correct, I estimated but know nothing about micron sizes, and i dont have an accurate way to measure I meant each clump in the strand was 1-3 mm

After looking more closely with an online ruler ABOUT .2- .25mm

thepanfish
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Monday, May 31, 2010 11:11 AM
Matt: These snails breed readily and without stimuli
Mine all bred at once though, one started and the same day 4 others laid eggs

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Monday, May 31, 2010 12:26 PM
[This post was marked as helpful]
You may want to through a 0 in front of those decimal points, makes it much easier for people reading to see 0.2 mm vs. .2 mm...

I know these guys breed pretty much constantly, but know that for the MBI, you'll need to do what you can to accurately document the timing of egg laying, hatching, settlement and 60 days post.  So, you may want/need to collect one of those egg strands (i.e. the one you photographed being laid) to hatch in a dedicated vessel so you can track the timing of everything.

FWIW,

Matt

thepanfish
Re:Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum Florida Cerith Snail - Monday, May 31, 2010 3:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

You may want to through a 0 in front of those decimal points, makes it much easier for people reading to see 0.2 mm vs. .2 mm... 

Okay, will do for next time
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

I know these guys breed pretty much constantly, but know that for the MBI, you'll need to do what you can to accurately document the timing of egg laying, hatching, settlement and 60 days post.  So, you may want/need to collect one of those egg strands (i.e. the one you photographed being laid) to hatch in a dedicated vessel so you can track the timing of everything.

FWIW,

Matt

Sorry, they lay at night while i sleep, and i dont really think there are signs of pregnency...?
Something(crabs?)went at the eggs so I will do that next time. This is my first post and was not exactly sure what to put, thank you for the suggestions. Whats FWIW?