General
Species:   Mysidopsis bahia
Species description:  Marine Mysid Shrimp
Culture source (link if possible):  ecoaquatics.com
If algae, CCMP # (ref http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/ ):  N/A

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:  78*
Vessel description: 20 high, special configuration for baby collection (see additional info below)
Lighting description:  ambient lighting
Lighting cycle:  daylight
Aeration description:  None - this is plumbed to a larger breeding system with liverock, skimmer, UV, carbon dosing

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description: 
(this could range, example with algae could be “10ml per l of guillards F formulation” or with A. tonsa it would be more like “300ml per day of algal mixture containing gymnodynium, tetraselmis, isochrysis, and rhodomonas” )

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
Notes: 
The 20 high has an acrylic baffle about 3" from the right side. behind the baffle the tank is bottom drilled and a PVD pipe with "T" keeps the water at a certain level. Sipon tubes with 1000 micron mesh held on by silicone hair bands collect the newly hatched shrimp and deposit them into 4" PVC collectors with 300 micron mesh glued to the bottoms. I have been running this setup for about a year. It requires daily rinsing of the mesh daily and quarterly cleaning of the tank.

kbb0118
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 123
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:39 AM
Methodologies
Culture medium description: 
Saltwater 1.020 to 1.025 is best. Feedings of newly hatched brine shrimp twice daily. Pellets and frozen baby brine can be used in a pinch but I have found using them too often will cause a reduction in number of adults.

kbb0118
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:45 AM
A whole mess of adults...

...in their broodstock tank

A newborn...can you see it?!?

Another shot - it is near the "27" on the bottle

<message edited by cmpenney on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:01 AM>

kbb0118
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:47 AM
Growout tank: 20 high, no baffle. Simple standpipe with a "T" on the top. 300 micron mesh glued to the openings so nobody goes down to the sump! Besides needing a rinsing every day it's a simple setup. Juveniles get the same food and feeing schedule as the adults.

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:26 PM
this is nothing short of EXCELLENT!!!

Can you get me a top down shot of the tank setup for plumbing examination??  And why the 1000um mesh on the intake?

Well timed given my tinkering currently!
In edit... after looking back at the pics and pondering a whole lot... I like this approach!!!  the plumbing to the main system reduces one of my suspected problems (salinity bounce) and the secondary problem (water quality)...  And the siphon is interesting as well...  very very curious to see more pictures / diagrams of whats going on there.  Are they straight siphons? no airlift?  How is power outage failure tackled or the siphon primed?  I want to see the collection cup details.

You've opened a can o worms lol
Pelagically yours,
~J      

kbb0118
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:41 AM
Thanks! This is a smaller version of the MBL Mysid Generator by MBL Aquaculture. His are 40 Breeders. An entire detailed PDF used to be available online but I can't find it anywhere on the MBL site anymore!!!

To answer your questions:
I took a few pics with all the parts in and it was hard to see what was what because that tank is surrounded by shelf and another tank. Can't see the sides. The pics in the PDF I'll send you are much better. Bigger tanks, more space.

1000 micron mesh (wedding tulle) keeps the adults out of the siphon tubes but sucks up the newborns who fit easily through the openings.
<message edited by kbb0118 on Monday, March 7, 2011 9:44 AM>

kbb0118
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:01 AM
I haven't figured out how to edit previous posts so I'll add...

I was planning to try this setup with smaller mesh sizes to culture calanoid copepods, although a separate sump would be required lest you waste your live algae (noooo!). With the smaller mesh size on the siphon tubes and in the collectors. 

I think maybe a mesh filter on the return to catch larger particles coming from the sump and possibly a filter sock on the overflow in the sump would help reduce the daily buildup on the siphon tube mesh, which gets easily clogged. It would be so much worse with smaller mesh sizes.

The siphon tubes are manual. I have to remember to restart them every night (forgot again last night ugh!). If the power fails, the water pours over the baffle and so do some of the broodstock. They generaly are able to avoid going down the pipe but catching them in the small back chamber with a small net is not much fun. Since I regulartly forget to start the pumps at night I have a heater in the tank so they don't get too cold.

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:43 AM
kbb0118- do you have any pictures of your set up? from reading your text it seems there was at some point? but I am not seeing them (maybe I'm blind...lol). Would like to see your set up, especially this T your speaking of. 

Did you ever find the pdf from the MBL mysid generator? 

Thanks

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:52 AM
Is this the pdf document you were speaking of? 

http://www.mblaquaculture.com/assets/docs/Mysid_Announcement.pdf

kbb0118
Re:Food Culture Journal: Mysidopsis bahia - Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:00 PM
No that's not it. They took that PDF down from their site. Sorry I don't breed fish anymore