Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 98 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:59 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  A. Ocellaris
Social Structure:  MAted Pair
Size of Individuals:  Male: about 2" Female: about 2.5/3"
Age of Individuals:  3 years
Date added to Tank:  2007

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  14 gallon Oceanic Biocube -changed to a 20 gallon long
Substrate Details:  Sand- mix of moonlight black and samoa pink - changed to bare bottom
Filtration Details:  standard on biocube- insert filter/mini bioballs- changed to hob 
Water Changes:  None, top off only - water changes to create larval tank, then top off bood tank
Water Temperature:  78
Lighting:  24w flourescent/24w actinic - changed to sunlight during day- room light at night
Lighting Cycle:  15hrs (usually when I am up they are up) -changed to blinds open during day
Other Tank Inhabitants:  1 turbo snail, 1 tonga nassarius, xenia, baby mushroom, zoos, baby paly colony - changed to 3 hermits/1 turbo

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  right now: frozen brine,flake,pellet,fuel,oyster feast all mixed together -also oto C
Feeding Schedule:  have just changed to 4 times daily, (with a snack here and there ) - still feed several times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  do not remember long while ago, we will go with this week as being "first" 8/13/2010
Spawn Time of Day:  between 5pm-6pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  (they just laid about 2-3 weeks ago... but we will use 8/13/10 as starting point)
Courtship Details:  They are very much 'in love' when they begin to cuddle and wiggle I know it is close. Also, the male will begin to 'dart' back and forth feverishly as if protecting the female from an attacker, funny that they are the only 2 fish in there! But he is doing his job- gotta give him kudos for that!
Egg Size:  when laid: tiny, like the size of something inbetween a poppy seed and a nerd (candy), then they become oblong, like rice
Egg Color:  when laid: orange/golden yellow
Egg Count:  50? give or take - the numbers increase/decrease given stress/changes in tank (rockwork, water changes, etc) also warmer weather = more eggs? I think.
Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 8/21/2010
Hatch Time of Day:  12:20am
# Days after Spawn:  7-8
Larvae Description:   Healthy looking, intact, react to light/movement

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  78 -changed to 80
Size of Larval Tank:  5 gallon
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Other Tank Decor:  2 heaters, an airline tube/bubble stone -no heater, changed to garage (Florida) 
Filtration Details: Will siphon, HOB when ready to use - using foam filter when transitioned
Lighting:  15watt hood- changed to sunlight / overhead garage light 
Lighting Cycle:  will create it after reading more journals/info
Water Changes:  will syphon/turkey baste out until fry are ready for sponge filter

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  culturing phyto/rotifers presently then otohime when ready- will try to introduce copepods also
Feeding Schedule:  will create once I read more

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  TBA
Days after Hatch:  TBA
Date of Settlement End: TBA
Description of Fry:  TBA

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  - will be using larvae tank until new tank is acquired
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  n/a
Substrate Details:  n/a
Other Tank Decor:  n/a
Filtration Details:  n/a
Lighting:  n/a
Lighting Cycle: n/a
Water Changes:  n/a
Size at Transfer:  n/a
Age at Transfer:  n/a

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  otohime A
Feeding Schedule: 3-5 times daily 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: will include in posting 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by Chelle's Ocean on Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:35 PM>
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:38 PM
Greetings everyone!

First entry...hopefully the video comes in ok.

My clowns were purchased as a threesome of itty bitty babies in 2007, one died shortly thereafter by jumping into the overflow, going through the filtratrion, and ended up in the sump. The remaining two then mated and have been together ever since , awwwwww xoxoxo
Anyway, I originally had them in my 180g DT, and could never get to the fry when they hatched. After basically tearing down my aquascape a few times, standing on a stool at the tank for hours  with a net...finally was able to catch the female, and the male jumped in on the next attempt. They were moved to their own tank in the bedroom - a 14 gallon Oceanic Biocube, with a baby lawnmower blenny...I buy everything in 'baby' size if possible. I just recently removed and transferred the blenney to the DT just in case the eggs hatched while I wasn't home. Didn't know if it would try to feed on them or not.
My clowns have spawned many many numerous times over the past 3 years, and just recently I moved the eggs/rock to a hatch tank, but a fail on my part- I was not able to keep the fry alive longer then 3 days. So I will continue to research and experiment and improve my success rate.

8/12/2010 -The clowns were clearing away a spot on the back wall - getting ready to lay.

8/13/2010 -Upon entering the room for the dinner feeding, I had a clutch of golden orange eggs waiting for me!

I am hoping to keep a video journal of the process, but will also begin taking still shots as well for the other forums I am part of.

Here is my first video of Day 1-

<message edited by cmpenney on Monday, August 16, 2010 8:09 AM>
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Monday, August 16, 2010 5:47 AM
8/14/2010 Day #2
Eggs are doing well...parents doing well .
Eggs taking on a "grain of rice" appearance, becoming long and thin, not as bright orange, from the front they have a brownish tint, from the sides still a golden yellow/pale orange

<message edited by Chelle's Ocean on Monday, August 23, 2010 11:10 AM>
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Monday, August 16, 2010 5:56 AM
8/15/2010: Day #3

Parents are doing well. Eating very well- no problems there!
Notice the male is becoming more protective of the clutch.

Have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on some phyto, as not many around me grow it... and it would be too late to start a starter culture for this hatch. As of last night a fellow reefer offered me his complete setup as he is taking down his tank. So this week I will have phyto and rotifers! (Thank you aquagods!)lol
Here is something I have been looking at..and may duplictae if I can get it to work... I plan on using a wine rack we have. Putting the phyto/lights up top, the rotifers onthe bottom, and the middle shelf will be a workspace... if all goes right.
But here is a video I like- I would like to attempt the different types of algae as well:

<message edited by cmpenney on Monday, August 16, 2010 8:10 AM>
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 16, 2010 6:08 AM
How can I post my videos/photos like I see on another journal to where it will show up 'here' instead of me giving a link each time? Any tips? thanks!

Michelle  

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 16, 2010 8:14 AM
Sometimes the editor sees jsut sees the video as a link instead of as a video. It thinks it's trying to help you out which most of the time is OK but here can be a pain. A few tips:

Try typing the first tag: [video] then pasting the link to the video. Often that first tag being there is enough to stop it from seeing it as a link.

If is does still show up as a link move your cursor to the end of the link and hit the backspace key once or twice til the underline disappears. This tells the editor that you don't want that to appear as a link.
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 16, 2010 2:32 PM
Thanks Chad! looks great now
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:20 PM
Day #4            8/16/2010

Pair is becoming more protective as I approach the tank.

Eggs are looking good. Can see the eyes. Brownish color is now uniform.

Set up a phyto / rotifer station- culturing both presently.  

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:51 PM
Day # 5   8/17/2010

Water parameters still in check.

Eggs are more silvery. Some eyes have more of a reflection than others.

(sorry for the video, camera#1 batteries died, camera#2 backup was not charged up- so
went with the phone)

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:02 PM
Day #6   8/18/2010

Phyto/Rotifers are growing/culturing within their jars.
Planning to do the 5 gallon bucket for the rots soon... and adding more jars of phyto.

Added phyto and rotifers to the fry tank, with airline/bubbler and heater.

The eggs sacs are more noticeable...can see the little guys inside! Going to try to do the white tile Tal used in his photos, so that I can watch the process better than against a black wall next time.

Only issue is the turbo snail keeps getting curious- but the pair sends him on his way.
(I have moved him a few times also, not wanting to take him out of tank yet)

Gave a little snack of New Life Spectrum pellets.

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:05 PM
Question: until I am able to get the Otohime A - can I use the New Life Spectrum? It's the Small Fish Formula, very very tiny pellets. If I were to crush these up..in a powder form, can I use this in the larvae tank?
Michelle  

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:13 PM
If you can get it fine enough you could use it in a pinch. A mortal and pestle does the job nicely.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:55 PM
Today is Day #7   8/19/2010

The fry tank is a nice green, with what I now believe to be a pretty good amount of rotifers - because when the light is held under the glass- it does in fact look like dust floating around. So I am feeling good about that

I am gong to stay up and watch as not sure if some will hatch tonight due to the eyes on some of them.

(I think I may have posted the phyto on Monday...actually that was Tuesday that I picked up/set up- so I missed a video, sorry)
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

If you can get it fine enough you could use it in a pinch. A mortal and pestle does the job nicely.

Cool. I will try to get the other ordered quickly just to have on hand.
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Friday, August 20, 2010 5:18 PM
Ok... last night was not the night. Hopefully tonight is hatch night- the eyes are looking more reflective/ more have silver to them.

Lights on @ 6am today- both pairs were tending the eggs

Sacs are a bit more transparent...or to say I can clearly see the larvae more.

Noticeable agitation in the tank. The male is fighting with himself in the reflection of the tank wall. Not sure why. He actually charges the glass, does a side to side motion, then swims away and charges at himself again. If the female approaches the glass panel- he pushes himself in front of her to block her from the glass image. Weird, but cute.

Still fanning the eggs.

Trying to find out if adding oyster feast to larvae tank is a good idea. I don't want to use this hatch as an experiment.

Any comments on adding oyster feast to the larvae tank...or rotifer container?
Michelle  

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Friday, August 20, 2010 5:33 PM
I haven't used Oyster Feast so I'm no help. As I mentioned on CR, I'm now using Reed's RotiGrow and I'm really happy with it. http://www.reed-store.com/shop.cfm/R...OW-PLUS-LITER/

And the new RotiGreen: http://rotifersolutions.com/?page_id=405

They are a bit pricey but are very concentrated and can be frozen for up to 2yrs.

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Friday, August 20, 2010 6:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that post Tal, thank you so much! I actually emailed them right after your post- and I will try to get with them via phone. Looking for a 'smaller' portion to start with, but may end up having to go big afterall. There isn't anyone in my club raising - so no one to borrow from for a sample starter to see how it is. But I will be the first I guess, I can always lend mine out to those who attempt this after me .

Ok- so I am doing ALOT of reading. Seems everytime I get on a forum, I get lost in the world of fish, lol...clicking links to other articles, forums, books.....I am taking a break and checking on the tanks right now- so far everything 'looks' good- but haven't done this yet so not sure of any signs to look for.

I added a few drops of the prime to the larvae tank(hoping that is ok) thinking it would be a good start when adding the larvae. And have been maintaining a nice enough green color to the water so as not to be able to see the bottom of the tank. The tank is stable with the brood tank.

Oh..... getting excited .....to be continued.....
(keep your fins crossed! lol)
<message edited by Chelle's Ocean on Friday, August 20, 2010 6:56 PM>
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Friday, August 20, 2010 7:08 PM
Is it true that a lower temp will delay metamorphosis and a higher temp speeds it up?
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:00 PM
Eggs began hatching this morning around 12:20am

Total siphoned out (using turkey baster) was 21

Added the larvae to the fry tank - which was loaded with phyto and rotifers.

Added a second heater because I had a feeling the one in there was on the 'blink',
didn't want it to go out during the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This morning I turned on the light for the phyto which is over the fry tank- and
placed a cardboard on the rack below the shelf to shade the light from directly going into the tank.

There are still swimmers.... trying to count, so far I see a huddle of around 10.

More to come tonight!

I think the video on youtube is fuzzy looking (or maybe it's because I didn't go to bed, lol)
so here is a link to my facebook- showing the video as well.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=152905571387456
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:25 AM
This morning I counted and cannot tell if I am counting the same ones, lol- so I may have to wait until the water clears in a few water changes. (I know I added too much phyto because I cannot see anything when looking straight into the tank from the front glass)

I did my 1st rotifer feeding of the day about an hour ago....but am fearing they are not reproducing fast enough. I watched an episode on talking reef :
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/648-culturing-rotifers-video-podcast-episode-42-a.html  mine do not look like his. I am only working with the one jar...and not sure they are enough. I plan on having 3 jars going hopefully for the next clutch.

Michelle  

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:59 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean

Is it true that a lower temp will delay metamorphosis and a higher temp speeds it up?

It is true that you will get higher growth rates at higher temps

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:59 AM
And with my percs, I think I delayed meta by quite a long time by culturing them at 78.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:59 PM
Thank you both- I have the tank set at 78 now.... should I bump it up to 80?

Or rather, will it hurt them staying at 78? I don't mind the length of time it takes, because I am still learning as I go, so really don't want to speed up quickly- but I don't want to alter them by going slow either. (does that make sense when reading it?)

If they will be ok at 78 (and the only side effect will be the slow meta) then I think that is a good route for a beginner like me to take.
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:06 PM
Today is (assuming since they were hatched at 12:20am 8/21/10) Day#2 post hatch?
(or do I not include the actual hatch date?)

I gave 2 feedings of rotifers

I also tried something else:
took a small mason jar of phyto, along with the same mason jar of h2o from the parent tank, and added them both to the larvae tank... I know there are rotifers in the parent tank- so hopefully they will multiply for my babies! And since it is the parent tank, I am hoping the h2o chemistry is ok to add like that.

I also added a 1/4 mason jar fresh water, and 3 more drops of Prime.

I laid underneather the rack (using the wine rack is working nicely) and can see the bottom of the tank perfectly. I am counting around 16 or so- but it is hard as they keep moving so quickly. They are staying in groups, huddling together. But so far a good amount are still here. Very pleased with that.
Michelle  

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:52 PM
Congratulations. At 80F they will meta at around 7 days.  At 78, I think it might be 9-10 days.  Not a significant difference, and I was once advised that the misbarring is less at the lower temperature. Not sure if that is true, but 78 will not harm them.

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:06 PM
lol so nice to have Kathy bopping around!! Talk about your wealth of knowledge.

I've done all my clutches at 80 for the fast meta rate as well (though my concern was more in collection of the fry post hatch than the actual rearing of the fry).

On the rotifer cultures... try and split one of those mason jars into any (yep pretty much any) available large vessel... instead of splitting daily continue to add fresh culture water and phyto.  these guys will grow in almost anything... my wife used to give me greif because at one point I "requisitioned" a plastic hat box she was using... it held water, therefore it held rotifers... that was my thinking! (though important to note if you dont sieve your rotifers this could cause a problem)

on the oyster feast... I have had experience in smaller detached vessels.  While not quite a larval tank (it was a snail study I was working on involving small 2 gallon vessels) I made the mistake of using it.  Unless it's eaten it will foul the water quite quickly!  While the nutritional content and viability as food is extremely high, I wouldnt use it in a small unfiltered set up.  Though in thinking of it, I might try it in a filtered grow out tank in the future!

On the spectrum, they will take it in place of Otohime if it is crushed very fine ala mortar and pestle.  I use crushed spectrum as well as crushed ocean nutrition pellets in a lot of my mixes.
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 11:45 AM
Thank you Kathy and J -  thanks for stopping by my thread and for the advice.

I will stay away from the fuel for now- but may try it once I am able to filter out the water- good idea.

I will definitely use a mortar/pestle- Tal mentioned that as well. To make a very fine powder.

I will set up larger rotifer containers this week. Good pointing out better to do that than to split everyday. And so far the larvae....the fry  seem to be eating well

(ok please someone correct me....at what point do they go from larvae to fry? haven't gotten my book yet- don't want to mistype)
Michelle  

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 11:49 AM
Metamorphosis is when they transition from larvae to fry. As mentioned above, it is usually complete ~7-8 days. Possibly a bit later at cooler temps.

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 1:05 PM
Actually, Joe is wrong (gasp!) about the rots. I worked the numbers through at one point, and it _is_ definitely better to split the rots everyday. You ultimately end up with more younger rots (= smaller) and a healthier culture with more rots at each age range. I have the excel sheet around somewhere if you'd like me to dig it out.

He is correct about the Oyster Feast, though. I will definitely use it with my animals, but I also try to co-add it with something like O. marina that might also use Oyster Feast and/or the resulting bacteria bloom as food.
--Andy, the bucket man.

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 2:41 PM
Hmmm..... ok then........ I guess continuing to do what I am doing is ok- as it is working for me thus far- but I do see where having the larger vessel would come in handy.

I am also getting a magnifying glass - that might just be the problem. I just don't feel there are enough in the jar... but there very well could be. And maybe it's my eyes not seeing them.
(I know it's supposed to look like a brownish coloring... but really not that much brown is coming out)
Michelle  

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Reward points : 282
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 6:46 PM
The only reason I raise my clowns at higher temperatures is because of the delay in metamorphosis.  Delayed metamorphosis means they need rotifers and greenwater longer (sometimes substantially longer).  I'm too impatient
I culture my rotifers in a couple one gallon containers.  A couple days before hatch I set up about 5 gallons and add the rotifers that I harvest from 50% harvests of the two one gallon containers.  The morning after hatch I harvest two gallons from the 5 gallon container and put the strained rotifers into the larvae tank with some RotiGreen.  Using this method I don't have to add any more rotifers to the larvae tank.  The RotiGreen will feed the rotifers and they will reproduce faster than my 500 or so larvae can eat them.

On the temperature, I've raised some of my larvae at lower temperatures and they seemed to have a higher misbar rate so I'm thinking that water quality or nutrition is more a factor than temperature.  Raising them at lower temperatures seems to be less stressful to the larvae as they go through meta.  Maybe because the changes aren't so fast and drastic?

Sorry for rambling....just throwing out some thoughts

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 7:05 PM
No- please ramble- the more thoughts and opinions for what everyone does the more I know what to expect, what works, what doesn't. I take in what everyone offers, then use what works for me.

I definitely will stay with the slower morph I think - at least for the time being, until I am comfortable with moving faster- I definitely do not want to stress them out. And they seem to be doing well so far.... so I am not wanting to push my luck.

Tomorrow is Day #4 and I am truly hoping they stay with me at least until the end of the month so my husband has a chance to see them when he gets home. But truth be told- I am praying (and cheering them on) that I see this hatch all the way through

Yes- Tal mentioned the roti-green as well - I am making a list of what suggestions I receive, and will start acquiring items for a supply stash for the next hatches. This one I started with only phyto and rotifers thanks to a fellow reefer.

I want to be better prepared for the next ones.

I wish I could get my camera to focus close enough without the blur effect- they truly are adorable They come right to the front of the tank when I turn on the dining room light.
So cute - Although still cannot get a good count as to how many are there. Sometimes it seems like only 5, then they come out of nowhere and it looks like 15?!
(ummm... yeah- still abit too green in there, lol)

Ok - turning the computer off- getting a migraine from lack of sleep....
but I want to say Thank You to everyone here and also on www.captivereefs.com who initially introduced me to MBI. The info shared is extremely helpful. Thank You for making this an enjoyable experience thus far.

Tal I appreciate the info received, and am happy I found CR and you guys - Thanks!

Good night to all.

Michelle
Michelle  

Zooid
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 7:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean

(ummm... yeah- still abit too green in there, lol)

I actually keep my tank very green until about day 5 or 6 (for 82F temp and for perculas) you may want to keep yours green for a few days longer than that due to the 78F temp.

The most useful suggestion I ever received was to start using RotiGrow to feed my rotifers instead of live phyto.  Thanks Ummmfish. lol

Have a good night.

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 9:31 PM
wow and we got Gale here too...

I'm living this one...  I think I'm the only one in the group that is still culturing his own algae to feed the rotifers / copepods (copepods another story, ala Andy has a new species I havent tried!!).  By no means is culturing your own necessary as many (including Andy and Gale) have proven.  I culture my own for other reasons (odd species).

Bearing in mind my efforts with the alga, the Rotigrow is a great idea for most hobbyists and I would agree with the endorsements.   Though I will probably never use it (lol).

On the note of everyone being in the same thread here... Gale / Kathy....  tell me more about this misbar at higher temp thing, I would love to look into this further!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 11:30 PM
That RotiGrow.... It seems expensive (and it ain't cheap) but it makes rots so dang easy. I wouldn't trade it.
--Andy, the bucket man.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Monday, August 23, 2010 11:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Umm_fish?

That RotiGrow.... It seems expensive (and it ain't cheap) but it makes rots so dang easy. I wouldn't trade it.

I have to agree. I'm really liking the product. Well worth the cost, especially since it can be frozen for 2 years.

Zooid
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:03 AM
I just wish I didn't go through it so fast!  lol

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:28 AM
Just skimming and came across this:

Quote Originally Posted by KathyL
Not a significant difference, and I was once advised that the misbarring is less at the lower temperature. Not sure if that is true, but 78 will not harm them.

I have heard this advice as well, and in general, there has been some talk from certain persons (I don't want to quote without asking first) that basically suggests that HIGHER temps are not necessarily overall "better" temps for breeding fish, incubating eggs, and rearing larvae.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:33 AM
FYI on the RotiGrow Plus (and the required companion product RotiGreen), I 110% concur that it has blown me away.  I am getting better batches of clownfish now than I ever did with my own live phyto.

The expense is actually anything but expensive.  In truth, it is the best value for general phyto needs.  When I looked at all the time, the absolute never ending burden of culturing my own Phyto and routinely harvesting, making new water and sterilizing, and then STILL crashing the stuff I wanted like T-Iso...well, RotiGrow and RotiGreen become downright cheap.  When I look at the investment in starter cultures, lights, air pump, fertilizer/media, bottles etc, I really did not save a penny by doing it myself.  All I really did was HIDE THE REAL COST to make it FEEL like I was doing it "on the cheap" and made myself work a LOT HARDER in the process.  I was very proud of my cultures, and there are certainly times where live cultures may be needed, but if you can do what you want using only the frozen pastes (and it's RotiGrow + for Rotifer culture, and RotiGreen for greenwater), cough up the funds and have Reed ship it to you!

Zooid
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <A. Ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:00 AM
That's a fact, Matt!  Rotigrow+ is indispensable.

The only reason I still grow Nannochloropsis is because I bought the dry mass pack from FAF a long time ago and haven't run out yet LOL.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 98 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version