Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus Oceanops

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 117 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus Oceanops - Friday, August 20, 2010 6:26 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Elacatinus oceanops
Social Structure:  pair, other gobies present and not interferring 
Size of Individuals:  1.5 inches long
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank: 10/10/2009

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  8 gallons, quarantine tank
Substrate Details:  bare, with 3/4 inch diameter PVC pipe piece
Filtration Details:  overflow to bioball trickle, submerged foam pond filter, preinnoculated
Water Changes:  10% every 2 weeks
Water Temperature:  80
Lighting:  ambient
Lighting Cycle:  14/10
Other Tank Inhabitants:  3 other E. oceanops

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  PE mysis, occasional bloodworms, enriched frozen brine shrimp, New spectrum small pellets.

Feeding Schedule:  twice daily .
Broodstock will eat chunks that are bigger than their heads!

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 11/19/2009      
Spawn Time of Day:  morning
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 11/28/2009,  ...2/4/2010 first successfully raised    
Courtship Details:Spawned inside a 3/4 diameter, 1.5 inch PVC pipe. Didn't look like a lot of eggs. Clear in color, eggs developed black eyes a couple of days before hatching. Male guarded and fanned the eggs. Later nests were larger and densely packed. Never witnessed a spawn.  They happened between the evening feeding and the morning feeding.
Egg Size:  tiny
Egg Color:  transparent off white
Egg Count:  hundred or so

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 11/25/2009,...,2/10/2010 first successfully raised
Hatch Time of Day:  morning
# Days after Spawn:  6
Larvae Description:
Second spawn: The gobies laid a really big nest. It was densely packed and covered an area about the size of a US quarter. The eggs are really small, so that's a lot of eggs. I tried the shaking method, and man was that fun! You shine a light on the eggs underwater, and the little swimmers just keep popping up. Unlike clownfish eggs, you can watch these guys hatch! Larvae dart around.  Neon Gobies larvae have 3 bright spots when viewed from above; the eye, swim bladder and something on the caudal peduncle reflect light.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80
Size of Larval Tank:  First attempt was a fishbowl kreisel submerged in a larger tank. There were many failed attempts. What worked for me was a black round tank 17 gallons, filled to 5 , sterilized with bleach and dechlorinated before larval addition, with a well screened central standpipe, draining to a bucket, sponge filter, small powerhead and UV.  
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor: black     
Filtration Details:  a well screened central standpipe, sponge filter, and UV.  Larvae are kept in a still tub with an airstone for a few days. After about a week, a slow circulation was started through the sump (bucket) using a choked-back powerhead in the bucket sump.
Lighting:  15 watt CFL 12 inches from water, under-cabinet light at night for the first few days
Lighting Cycle:  14/10
Water Changes:  Water additions by drip only to fill the tank slooooowly to the overflow over many days. Top off to the bucket sump. Water changes were minimal and to the sump, so the larvae only experienced slow changes in water quality.  It seems important not to do large water changes, as that coincided with larval death in the early attempts at raising these fish.

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  rotifers, rotifer diet.  I start feeding nhbs at about a week and a half. I also sprinkle in just enough Otohime A to give them a taste, but I am never sure they are eating it. I also have them on a trickle recirculation and I filter the overflow through a plankton filter to capture the rotifers that go down the overflow.  I really don't want rots in the UV filter.  After a few weeks when I can see them eating the Oto, I stop the brine shrimp.

Feeding Schedule:  continuos until Oto, then 4 x per day via auto feeder.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 3/10/2010      
Days after Hatch:  30
Date of Settlement End: 3/14/2010
Description of Fry:  black with neon blue stripes on both sides , larvae will stick to the sides of the tank frequently around time for metamorphosis.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10 gallons
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  3/4 sections of PVC pipe, hundreds of baby clownfish
Filtration Details: 100um filter bag, Bioballs, heater, broken UV      
Lighting: ambient 
Lighting Cycle:  14/10
Water Changes:  10% whenever
Size at Transfer:  at least 1 inch
Age at Transfer:  6-8 weeks

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  Otohime  pellets
Feeding Schedule: 4 times daily  from auto-feeder. 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by KathyL on Monday, November 14, 2011 6:32 PM>

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:13 PM
These are larval neon gobies.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:15 PM
more pix of larvae

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:19 PM
after meta:

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:05 PM
Nice pics Kathy! 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:10 PM
 Click on the picture to see the video.

Seconds after hatching, these are E. oceanops larvae, a.k.a. neon gobies. The nest is in the pipe on the left, held against the center standpipe of a black round tub with a rubberband. The source of all the tiny bubbles is a flexible air diffuser wrapped around the standpipe at the base. There is also a slow stream of filtered water coming in from the left of the tub. Present in the tub are some 2 week old neon gobie larvae, but they are outnumbered by the new ones. Also present are a LOT of rotifers and phytoplankton, hence the green water. These new larvae will eat phytoplankton stuffed rotifers constantly, and take 4 weeks to undergo metamorphosis and finally become tiny fishes.

<message edited by KathyL on Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:17 AM>

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:22 AM
Seems I forgot the best vido

Click on the picture to see the video.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:22 AM
If that doesn't work, try this one:
http://youtu.be/AJiGu2vlY6o

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:45 PM
These guys are from my first successful raising, and are 5 months post meta.  The central one could be gravid: I am hoping...

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:56 PM
They look GREAT Kathy!

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Reward points : 282
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:21 PM
Gravid at five months post meta....wow, they are fast

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:04 PM
Hey Kathy I just noticed that we never made a fishy for the E. oceanops  So I added one to the system today. Got your first fishy now!
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:30 AM
Are you still breeding these? I'm in your area and wouldn't mind getting a few to start up with.

Thanks

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:29 AM
Sorry, I did not see this until now. I don't have any for sale at the moment.  I am trying to get the next batch to breed.  Contact me in 6 months.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:14 PM
I have no   breeders from the fish I raised this first time.  Just back from MACNA, where I learned that I should try lowering the temperature down to 72 for these guys.  It seems they only spawn in the early spring in the carribean.  Unfortunately, my basement is 78 right now, ambient. I may have to wait until the weather gets colder.  I have 5 captive bred from ORA, in a 10 gallon tank.  All getting along well.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 7:26 AM
That's crazy. Every time I've tried they've bullied and chased each other right out of the tank until I have one left. Maybe I was unlucky and only got males.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by KathyL

I have no   breeders from the fish I raised this first time.  Just back from MACNA, where I learned that I should try lowering the temperature down to 72 for these guys.  It seems they only spawn in the early spring in the carribean.  Unfortunately, my basement is 78 right now, ambient. I may have to wait until the weather gets colder.  I have 5 captive bred from ORA, in a 10 gallon tank.  All getting along well.

I didnt know that!

Is it the same for Red Heads? Spawning in the spring I mean? If it is my female obviously didn't know she spawned continuously for 4 months at 78-80. Go figure.....

Duck
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:29 PM
Just checked my spawn report. The redheads first spawned in Feb with a water temp of 24-25. Weather here was just warming up, so maybe it's the temp rise that starts the ball rollin, but in her case it didn't stop.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:36 PM
I don't know. I'm going to try it as soon as I can, weather willing.

Duck
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:39 PM
You would presume these fish would be vey similar in their habits though, being so closely related. I also have a pair of Oceanops introduced and paired up recently. I keep my tanks at 78-80, so will keep you informed if anything happens. One is already fatter than the other

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:40 PM
Thanks, Duck, I'll do the same.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 5:48 PM
I just picked up a pair, hopefully, today to go in my new pico. Thought I'd give them a try again. I plan on not heating them after what you said.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Monday, September 12, 2011 6:03 PM
Keep me posted!

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:20 AM
76F ambient temp. Waiting...

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:06 PM
Here it is May 9, 2012, and I had nearly given up on my neons.  I have 4 left, and all I do is feed them every day and do water changes occasionally. They were at 72 all winter, and its been warming up a bit, but all my thermometers broke, so I am just guessing on temperature recently.  I pretty much gave up on the neons.
I rarely check the PVC pipes for eggs, but when I did this morning I was rewarded for my patience.  We have eggs. 
When they are not spawning it is impossible to tell male from female.  Now that they are spawning, the male is the largest one, and he guards the nest.  The next largest is aggressed on by the male, so he's probably male as well.  The next to last smallest one is allowed near the male and the nest, so that's the spawning female.  The smallest one must be a remaining female, or underdeveloped male.  Next I'll put the non-spawning pair together in their own tank, and see what transpires.

matt1001
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Reward points : 768
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:03 PM
great news wish mine would get a shifty on!!

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:20 PM
I let the first nest go, and haven't moved the pairs out yet.  They just laid another nest that showed up yesterday morning, so Probably Friday was the day.  Not many eggs, but I may give it a go this time.

Temperature: I've unplugged their heater, and let it go to room temp.  Today it was 73. I got a new thermometer. Earlier in the week it was 78 in the basement, then we turned the AC on in the house.  Still don't know what the ideal temperature is...
<message edited by KathyL on Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:22 PM>

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:09 PM
This morning there were no more eggs.  Eaten or hatched? I need to pay more attention to when they are laid.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:14 PM
Yeah, you need to keep an eye on them to predict the hatch date, they don't give you much leeway. On one batch I was lucky enough to find a few hatchlings near the surface when I missed a hatch. 

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:38 PM
The spawning pair is in their own tank and have laid a small nest.  The other pair went in with a non-spawning Darwin ocellaris pair.  The clownfish tormented the male, and I found him dead one morning.  I had not seen the tiny female and assumed she had gone down the drain and was lost in the sump which has the remains of my live rock, so there is no way she will ever be removed from there.  Then one morning I saw her in the tank with the clownfish, so she was just hiding after all.  The clowns don't like sharing their tank, so I ned to find a new home for her.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:06 PM
Kathy,  My neons spawn regularly at 80deg F.  I would have to go look at the calendar but about every 11 days ish and have been for several months.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:16 PM
The one spawning pair kept their eggs for a full 7 days this time, so I think that now that they don't have to fight off the other male, they will do fine. Just need them to spawn again, and I expect that any day now.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:16 PM
The one spawning pair kept their eggs for a full 7 days this time, so I think that now that they don't have to fight off the other male, they will do fine. Just need them to spawn again, and I expect that any day now.

KathyL
repeat post
<message edited by KathyL on Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:37 AM>

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:27 PM
Excellent new Kathy!  I have my fingers crossed for you. 
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:30 PM
Well, June was a long time ago.

The spawning pair was moved to a cube system so I could redo the bank of tanks the gobies were located near. They stopped spawning. Around beginning of September they started again, I let the first nest go, and collected the second nest.  They hatched out very surprisingly between 7 and 8 one morning, and there were a lot of them, but I did not set up a sump for them, and my cavalier way of doing water changes seemed to kill them off. This time, for the next nest, I had tons of rotifers, and had prepared a nice larval tank with sump for them.  Unfortunately, the female perished immediately after they spawned, so this is the last batch for a while... I would say also "unfortunately", the eggs hatched the evening before my early morning plane ride to MACNA.  But I left my darling daughter in charge, with little expectation that I would have any larvae left upon my return, and  "fortunately", I was wrong--darling daughter did a good job, and they looked fine at my arrival home.  I gave her a tip in addition to the payment for a job well done.

The gobie larvae are 2 weeks old today, and looking fine.  I have not started NHBS, as I have Apocyclops panamensis in the rotifer soup they are living in, and I imagine they are eating them and that it is a better food for them as well.  I may try some Oto A soon.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:00 PM
Great update Kathy!  (besides losing the female)
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

matt1001
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Reward points : 768
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Friday, October 12, 2012 7:04 AM
Hi can I ask what Apocyclops panamensis are and how you would go about using them

I ask because I'm in a simular position with Oceanops at two weeks and there is some sort of larger creature in with my roti's, and I'm sure I've seen them hovering them off the sides of the brt

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:35 PM
here's a link to Kathy's journal. It's much better than mine.

http://www.mbisite.org/Fo...mp;m=59386&mpage=1
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Elacatinus Oceanops> - Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:51 PM
well, I don't know about that, but RGRKIng has a great supply of A panamensis!
I am just putting some in the tank with the rotifers.  After a week or so, they multiply like crazy.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 117 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version