Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris, naked x Darwin varient

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris, naked x Darwin varient - Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:41 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris , varient mix
Social Structure:  Naked female and Black and whit male
Size of Individuals:  about 2 inches
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank:  unknown, fish from store display, will not sell.

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20 ish gallon nano
Substrate Details:  2 inch sand bed
Filtration Details:  live rock, skimmer, heater
Water Changes:  I think weekly
Water Temperature:  80
Lighting:  nano light, PC, i think
Lighting Cycle:  unknown, tank at a shop on the checkout counter.
Other Tank Inhabitants:  corals, inverts, anemone shrimp, crabs, urchin, snails, brittle stars

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: i don't know.   ?
Feeding Schedule: Unlikely to be more than once a day, but I don't know ?

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  spring 2010
Spawn Time of Day: afternoon     
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  not regular, sometimes 14 days apart
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:small , 2 mm oval         
Egg Color: orange     
Egg Count:  small, maybe 30

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  5/4/2010 
Hatch Time of Day: after lights out     
# Days after Spawn:  7-8
Larvae Description:  robust, normal seeming larvae

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80
Size of Larval Tank:  10 gallons filled to two
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  none, heater, airstone
Filtration Details:  none for the first week, then system: 100um bag, bioball drip, UV broken
Lighting: PC, old bulbs, 18 inches from water     
Lighting Cycle:  14day/10night    
Water Changes:  whenever , infrequent, maybe once every 3 months

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: rotifers, roti-grow, Otohime pellet     
Feeding Schedule:  continuous for rotifers, Oto when big enough, around 6 days, then 4 times a day oto with auto-feeder

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  5/11/2010
Days after Hatch:      7   
Date of Settlement End:  5/12/2010
Description of Fry:  orange in front, black in back.  Have all the markings of black ocellaris, with some interesting misbars. Later, their overall color was not significantly different from a regular orange ocellaris, perhaps a tiny bit dusky.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10 same
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  none
Filtration Details:  same
Lighting:  same
Lighting Cycle:  same
Water Changes:  infrequent as above
Size at Transfer:  NA . they are in the same system as they were hatched in.
Age at Transfer: NA         

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Otohime pellet     
Feeding Schedule:  4x daily

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:  

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by KathyL on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:27 AM>

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:47 PM
I happened to be selling some fish to a local store, and noticed the nest of ocellaris in their nano display tank looked ready to hatch.  I asked if I could take the eggs home with me, and they said if I can get them out, i can have them.  They were very helpful getting the admittedly simple equipment together for me.

I was interested in the particular pair, because the female is a naked ocellaris, and the male is a black and white ocellaris.  I love the tank they live in and would have bought the whole shebang, but the store will not sell it.....  They did say that if they ever do sell it, or the fish, that I get first dibs.

I scraped the eggs out of the nano tank at the store with a bevel cut soda straw I found in my car, and a piece of airline tubing that I made to fit with some scotch tape. I siphoned the eggs as I scraped them off the rock, into a plastic bag.  One hatched immediately in the bag.  I took them home and clamped the bag to the side, with the bag inside, an empty(of fish, but not water) tank on system circulation.  Then I put the open end of some rigid airline tubing in the corner of the bag, clamped it so it looked like a funnel shape, and bubbled the eggs for about an hour in the dark.  All the eggs hatched, but there were not a lot of eggs. 

Initially I kept them in a kreisel, but I moved them to an available 10 gallon tank before meta.  I had few die offs, but not many eggs to start with. 

There were some interesting misbars, which I hope will grow up to be beautiful and expensive one-of-a kind fish.

The idea for scraping the eggs off the rock came from John Lauth. He used a 500ml glass funnel to hatch the eggs.  I wanted to try this, but could not find such a funnel. Having used the plastic bag to great success, I now prefer this method.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:33 PM
I use the glass funnel, found it on ebay, for my fridmani eggs and it works like a charm. I pull the egg mass on the 4th night and put them in the funnel under a bright light and they hatch in about 15-20 minutes.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:23 PM
Here are some of the babies:

These guys are hard to photograph.  The fish on top is the most naked one I've got.  the top spot has since regressed. It's just a black smudge now.  The side dot is still there, and only on one side.

I'm holding out for some blackness to occur. 

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:26 PM
here's another of this interesting misbar:

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Reward points : 282
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:24 AM
I really like that last pic.  Hopefully the bars will stay that way (not likely but ...).

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:41 PM
Very nice - would be cool if some of the black did take hold.
Michelle  

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:38 AM
This is a picture of the fish on January 12, 2011.  They are some interesting fish.  Very much resemble orange ocellaris misbars.  Their color is very much like orange ocellaris with a very slight darker hue.  I had one with a bent spine which lived this long, but perished later.  I did have a mechanical problem that was chronic on this system, and many fish from several batches died, however, all the fish from this set perished one by one, for unknown specific reasons.  It was very sad when the One Spot fish died.  I had planned to keep that one.

The One Spot fish is the one that started with a dot and a smudge.  The smudge went away.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: <Amphiprion ocellaris> - Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:53 AM
aw that was a beautiful fish.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8