Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 45 of 45 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Suzy
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Reward points : 209
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:01 AM
Jim, I am just curious. Would you think that having too many larvae in a small bowl could be an issue? I tried this species years ago and looking back, I wonder if they would do better with a bit of culling? I know having a large spawn is what they do, and that culling is hard. But, what if for the next batch you picked 20 (or had some one else do it!), and put the rest in another nursery? The 20 special kids get first dibs, the others get the leftovers?

Suzy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:04 AM

BTW, how did you like that Jelly tank? Check out this easy peasy version from my seahorse hero:

http://www.youtube.com/us...er#p/a/u/0/y8-2JK_yeTs

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:48 AM
Yeah, I've read about and thought about picking just the healthiest 20 or so, and focusing on them.  Maybe next time.  I didn't like the jelliquarium so much, because (a) it really didn't help keep floaters from happening, and (b) it took too much phyto to keep it green, and too much food (rots, copepods, etc.) to keep the density high enough.  I've been having better success with the 2-gallon fishbowl approach, once I figured out that AmQuel-Plus is my friend!  If I keep the fishbowl filled all the way up to the rim, and a rigid airline at the 3 o'clock position bubbling gently, it make a nice kriesel and I get very, very few floaters.  The room stays at 71-72F, and so I use no heater.

Suzy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:30 PM
I love 2 gallon glass kriesals. Super easy to clean!

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus reidi - Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:26 PM

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 45 of 45 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version