Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:31 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris
Social Structure:  Male/Female
Size of Individuals:   F: 2.5",  M: 2"
Age of Individuals:  9-12 months
Date added to Tank:  ~8 months ago

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  72G
Substrate Details: Fiji Sand 
Filtration Details:  20G sump/referg
Water Changes:  Bi-weekly, ~10G's
Water Temperature:  78
Lighting:  2x250MH
Lighting Cycle:  3pm-12am
Other Tank Inhabitants:  False Tang, Flasher Wrasse, Blue Linkia Starfish, Spiny Starfish, Sallylight, Algae Blenny, 4 PJ Cardinals, Coral beauty, Flame Angle, and some snails and scarlet hermits.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  1-2 times a day
Feeding Schedule:  6pm and 11pm

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Not sure
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  8/14/2010
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:  Cant find in DT
Egg Color: Cant find in DT 
Egg Count: Cant find in DT

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  8/9/2010
Hatch Time of Day:  12:30am
# Days after Spawn:  ?
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80
Size of Larval Tank: 10G
Substrate Details:  Bare
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  Air stone
Lighting:  60W shop light
Lighting Cycle:  24x7
Water Changes:  Partial daily

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers and Othime B
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 29G
Substrate Details:  Fiji Sand
Other Tank Decor:  Live rock and some fake plants
Filtration Details:  HOB filter
Lighting:  T8
Lighting Cycle:  4pm-12am
Water Changes:  Bi-weekly
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

CableGuy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:52 PM
Well I dont have any pics of the clutch as I could never find them in the DT, but they are now moved to a broodstock tank and I have babies so obviously they hatched...

Here is a 1 week old baby fish... =)

Let me know what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Sorry the pics suck...)

Attached Image(s)
-Adam

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:24 PM
That looks like a crustacean. Are you sure that's not a mysis?

Compare to this:

From here: http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/~brett/lab/coldwater/images/mysis_glerl.jpg
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

CableGuy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:51 PM
LOLZ

Now that you mention it.... and now that I am looking at the one side profile shot it kinda does look like that...

But that just doesn't make sense....hummm I will need to do some more reading but what do those things eat and how do they spawn and what is their spawn cycle?

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:51 PM
I was thinking that too...
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

CableGuy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:08 PM
Now Im on a mission to find out what it is and how it is reproducing in my DT... this is like 4th or 5th time it has reproduced and I used all the same tricks to catch them. (Lights off, then a flash light with a hose to suck them up.) Also the cycle was like 14-16 days So they hatch just like clown fish..... or at least like egg based producers.

This is so weird, and Im really confused now - kinda bummed too but I'll figure this out.

CableGuy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:19 PM
This thread is full of fail... please delete.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:22 PM
No, not at all. You'd be surprised how often mysids get mistaken for fish larvae. We've all done it. Part of the problem is that they look and act like what we expect fish larvae to, having been conditioned by freshwater fish. But saltwater larvae just don't act like our brains think that they should. Remember, they are pelagic. They don't hide from light. Heck, they don't hide at all. They float with the current in the upper levels of the water column, using as little energy as possible. 

Adult mysids (that's an adult you have there) are active in the water column, swimming this way and that. They tend to stay near the bottom or near somewhere to hide. Exactly like you'd expect from a fish larva, except that fish larvae don't do that at all.

The mysid females are brooders, releasing live young when they hatch. The adults tend to spend a lot of time eating their young (one of the reasons that they swoop around the water column so much). I _love_ watching them swim. If I had a nano tank on my desk I would be tempted to just make it a colony of mysids. Except that I'd never get any work done.

But please don't feel embarrassed. Like I say, this happens to a lot of people (including me). And it's really good to have the conversation here, so other people can learn, too.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886