Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp

Chelsey
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 144
Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 15, 2010 9:34 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata amboinensis
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  2" body size, excluding legs
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  10-4-2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  Odd size, 24" x 18" x 13"
Substrate Details:  Sand
Filtration Details:  Tied into reef system, so live rock, skimmer, sand, some carbon.
Water Changes:  I aim for once every other week...that doesn't happen.
Water Temperature:  78-81
Lighting:  Clamp lamp with one of those energy saving swirly bulbs
Lighting Cycle:  Whenever I remember to turn it on and turn it off...usually on around 9am and off around 11pm, though it varies
Other Tank Inhabitants:  None at the moment, though I'm looking forward to adding fish

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen...everything (mysis, brine, etc), Formula 1 and 2 pellets, little critters in the tank
Feeding Schedule:  This pair only gets fed once daily since they're tied into the reef system

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  10-14-10
Spawn Time of Day:  Sometime during the night
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  This is their first spawn for me
Courtship Details:  Unknown at this point, since they spawned while I was asleep
Egg Size:  .5mm, round
Egg Color:  minty green right now (see pics)
Egg Count:  a whole bunch...1000 maybe?

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 15, 2010 9:35 PM
Here's mamma cleaner:

Here's a closeup of the eggs...forgive the bad pic.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 15, 2010 9:36 PM
Great pics!  That's what we need.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 15, 2010 9:37 PM
Thanks Tal   The next time the banded coral shrimp is catchable I'll snag her and try to do the same thing.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Saturday, October 16, 2010 12:02 AM
NICE PIX Chelsey!  Way to go!

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Monday, October 18, 2010 12:39 PM
Killer pics!

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Monday, October 18, 2010 2:45 PM
Thanks guys   I'll try and get some pics like this for the CBS as well...provided I can catch her.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Monday, October 18, 2010 7:50 PM
I got home today and HOLY COW THE EGGS HAVE EYES!!!  These are the best pics I can get unfortunately   I can see much more detail with my eyeballs.  Hopefully these suckers will hatch tonight and then I'll have all kinds of fun pics!

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:48 PM
I managed to steal a few eggs tonight for a photo op.  Don't worry, I didn't waste them, I stuck them in an artificial incubator   We'll see what happens.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:12 PM
Funky little critters.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Cerebral Fish
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 342
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:53 AM
Aww, those little guys are so cute. I hope you have success with this species, perhaps even finding a way shorten their larval stage. The adults are so friendly and interesting.

How do you steal eggs from a shrimp anyway?

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:00 PM
Very carefully, with a pipette

Cerebral Fish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:19 PM
Very cool. I would have thought the pleopods are too sensitive to get away with something like that. It's good to know they aren't.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 22, 2010 12:17 PM
I don't think that I'll be doing it on a regular basis, but the shrimp doesn't appear to be at all harmed by it.  The key words to my previous statement are VERY CAREFULLY.  I didn't just pry the pleopods apart and pillage the eggs

Cerebral Fish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 22, 2010 8:05 PM
I understand. Use with extreme care.

Have the little guys developed much in the past few days?

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis, Cleaner Shrimp - Friday, October 22, 2010 9:37 PM
We moved the mamma shrimp into a separate container because we didn't have the egg collector set up on the tank she's in.  It stressed her out too much and she released the eggs prematurely   Lesson learned.  Next time we'll have the egg collector set up.  Her "mate" is also carrying eggs, though they're in the mint green stage, so when she's ready we'll set up an egg collector.