Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp

woodstock
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Reward points : 263
Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, October 29, 2010 8:59 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp
Social Structure:  single pair
Size of Individuals:  2"
Age of Individuals:  unsure but appear young
Date added to Tank:  October 23, 2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Substrate Details:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Filtration Details:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Water Changes:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Water Temperature: still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Lighting:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in
Lighting Cycle:  14 hrs on/10 hrs off

Other Tank Inhabitants:  still in holding nets - I will update this once I decide which tank to place them in

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen mysis, homemade mush, pellet, live BS
Feeding Schedule:  at least twice daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  unsure - female was gravid when purchased
Spawn Time of Day:  unsure - female was gravid when purchased
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  11-14-2010

Courtship Details:  upon introduction, they sat face-to-face and touched antennae for hours; afterwards, they stay very close together - never out of antennae reach
Egg Size:  very tiny  
Egg Color:  green
Egg Count:   several hundred

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: 

I decided to attempt raising this species because they are known to eat bristleworms. (I have noticed bristleworms eating clown's eggs so am looking for a natural control method) If these shrimp become too aggressive, I will move them to their own tank.  With a pelagic stage of over 5 months , it will be a VERY long wait for the fry to settle.

Since finding a mated pair proved difficult/impossible, I purchased four individuals online (site unseen). One was a gravid female and the other three 'appeared' to be male. Once acclimated, each was placed in a separate breeder net; then, I placed one with another and watched - ready with a net to remove one if they began fighting. Results: one died during acclimation (the largest shrimp), two faught, and two paired up with no fighting at all.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by woodstock on Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:30 AM>
Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, October 29, 2010 9:03 AM
Male on left, female on right

Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:39 AM
10-29 they eggs she was holding had turned white.  She molted the next night.

Here she is tending to the eggs

Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:44 AM
After her molt, she was significantly larger and a bit more aggressive to the male. They still stay within antennae length but if he gets too close she will jerk her body and he backs off... strange.  I was hoping she would develop more eggs but hasn't yet... maybe on her next molt. They are still in the small holding container so I can observe them closely. They eat a LOT for their small size!

Also, I was unable to find any fry that hatched. Maybe they ate them? 
Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, November 12, 2010 5:31 AM
The female did not show any egg development or spawning after her last molt, however, I can see a dark green coloration within her carapace over the last few days. I assume she will spawn during her next molt and place the eggs under her pleopods.
Doni Marie~

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, November 12, 2010 9:46 AM
Very cool (and great pics of the eggs!) I might have missed it, but did you get them as a pair or just put some together?

Thanks!

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, November 12, 2010 10:20 AM
Quote Originally Posted by
Since finding a mated pair proved difficult/impossible, I purchased four individuals online (site unseen). One was a gravid female and the other three 'appeared' to be male. Once acclimated, each was placed in a separate breeder net; then, I placed one with another and watched - ready with a net to remove one if they began fighting. Results: one died during acclimation (the largest shrimp), two faught, and two paired up with no fighting at all.

I very carefully created a pair by ordering four individuals. See above quote.
I'll try to get more pics of her tonight so you can see her green carapace.

Doni Marie~

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Friday, November 12, 2010 10:52 AM
Right after I typed that I re-read the beginning

Thanks so much!

Oh and by the way, Sealifeinc.net carries pairs of lots of shrimp (and other things too)

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

They collect from the Keys in Florida.  Usually 2-3 times  a month they have shrimp pairs. (Looks like they are out now)

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info. It's good to know if I ever need to replace this pair
Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:57 AM
Here are some photos I took today.
You can see the green prespawn eggs well.

The male daring me to mess with them one more time.... LOL

Doni Marie~

woodstock
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:27 AM
This is strange... I checked the pair this morning and noticed one had molted. I did not think it was the female because I could still see a green mass in her carapace.
I checked the pair again about 2 hrs later and the female had moved the eggs under her abdomen!  They must mate early morning post molt.

Here are a few photos of her this morning:

Doni Marie~

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Stenopus hispidus, Coral Banded Shrimp - Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:39 PM
Doni,
Have you made any progress with these guys?
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."