Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer

Chelsey
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 144
Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:11 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Canthigaster solandri
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals:  2.75" and 3.25"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  11-11-10

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  TBD, probably 55g
Substrate Details:  barebottom
Filtration Details:  bioballs, bacteria, and live rock
Water Changes:  sometimes
Water Temperature:  79-82 is the standard broodstock temp, though papers I've read say 72-78 so that's probably where they'll be
Lighting:  ambient for now, followed by fluorescent
Lighting Cycle:  14 on, 10 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen everything, including mysis, brine, krill and shrimp with the shell on
Feeding Schedule:  5+ times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:  0.53-0.73mm in diameter
Egg Color:  pale yellowish orange transparent
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn:  Depending on temperature, 3 to 6 days (shorter at warmer temps)
Larvae Description:  1.66 mm TL, more information available if you can translate from Japanese

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:  I bought this pair from Diver's Den last night and have subsequently been doing a significant amount of research.  I cannot find anything on Cathigaster solandri specifically, so I'm using information I've found on other Canthigaster species as a supplement.  I've found several scientific articles on this genus and will continue to add information as I find it.  I've also submitted a species classification request for these guys.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:12 PM
Picture of the pair, courtesy of Diver's Den: 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:11 PM
Nice to see you snagged 'em...could be your "first"????

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:20 PM
That's what I'm hoping for   I really need to get going on pairs of angels, but these guys just kinda fell into my lap and my dad had been bugging me about investing a pair of fish Tongue

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:22 PM
Here are two pics of them in QT.  Pardon the dirty glass, the lack of focus, and the crappy white balance  

<message edited by Chelsey on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:00 PM>

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:49 PM
Pics are busted

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:50 PM
Not for me....?

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Saturday, December 4, 2010 10:55 PM
Two more quick pics.  They're still in QT but are doing great.  They eat like pigs and are very personable, especially the male!

"Quit taking my picture and FEED ME!!!"

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Sunday, December 5, 2010 8:31 AM
Good luck with them! How big do these guys get? I guess what I'm really asking is, are they still young 'uns, or are you expecting spawning at this size?
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Canthigaster solandri, Blue Spotted Puffer - Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:45 AM
They're not youngsters, though they're probably on the smaller side of breeding size.  According to fishbase the maximum size attained for this species is about 4.5", and the male is already approaching 4.