Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos

Chelsey
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points : 144
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Saturday, January 8, 2011 8:42 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion akindynos
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals:  4" for both
Age of Individuals:  3+ years
Date added to Tank:  1-8-11

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  Currently in QT - will be moved
Substrate Details: 
Filtration Details: 
Water Changes: 
Water Temperature: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Other Tank Inhabitants: 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen everything, Formula 1 and 2 pellets
Feeding Schedule:  Only once daily in QT

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information(NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO):  These guys are currently in QT, I got them from someone that was taking down their tank.  Pics will come soon, and when I figure out where I'm going to put them (tank size, etc) I'll update the rest of the information.  I'm just excited about the new additions and wanted to get a jumpstart on their thread

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:10 PM
Here are the newbies, quite peeved about being stuck in QT:

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:26 AM
Good luck, Chelsey! I tried with the akindynos but was never able to get any through QT. The females are enormous.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Sunday, January 9, 2011 11:43 AM
I'm thinking that these guys won't be as much of a problem, they were with their previous owner for 3 years, though you never know.

Umm_fish?
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Monday, January 10, 2011 8:42 AM
Good to hear. I would snap up a pair of these that had already been in captivity like that (***makes snapping noise***). Good luck with them!
--Andy, the bucket man.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Monday, January 10, 2011 5:31 PM
I'm pretty excited about them!  They're big enough to spawn but haven't for their previous owner, probably because they were in the same tank as the fire clowns and a bunch of other fish.  They eat like horses and would probably eat all day long if I let them.  They're getting pellets up to 10x a day in QT (provided I keep up with WC's) and eat a significant amount every time.  Hopefully they become good spawners for me.  Who's working with akindynos other than Richard and I?

Umm_fish?
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:23 PM
I have no clue. I've never heard of many who could get a pair through QT from the wild. If yours ever spawn I'll be in the market for a couple of F1 if you'll be willing to sell them.
--Andy, the bucket man.

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:33 PM
I have a pair that I have had for about 6 months.  I haven't had any luck getting them to spawn.

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:50 AM
  Good luck Chelsey!
Michelle  

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:25 AM
Thank you!   I think the biggest issue with these guys is going to be keeping them fed! 

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:29 AM
Mine eat constantly also.  I think that I could feeding them and they never stop.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:43 PM
I don't know if they just didn't like being moved or what their problem was, but one of them decided to stop eating today, and both have faster respiration rates than I'd like   I've been doing daily WC's since they're in QT, but even with excellent water quality they're still unhappy.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I can't help but wondering if they'd be fine right now if I would've just put them in my reef tank and called it good

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:33 PM
Hmmm... I hope they perk up. I know that the whole QT issue is a touchy subject but I might have taken the chance, in this case, and put them in the reef tank. Since you knew exactly where they came from.

I wonder if the water changes are spooking them if they've been used to being in a reef tank? Just thinking out loud. 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Umm_fish?
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Friday, January 14, 2011 8:56 AM
Well, I just looked back at their photo and I see that they have a shelter in there. How big's the QT? Could it be that they aren't happy with constant salinity changes? You say that you are feeding constantly. My guess would be ammonia. Do you have any ClorAmX or something like that?
--Andy, the bucket man.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Friday, January 14, 2011 12:41 PM
I'm not feeding constantly (I overexaggerated), though they have been getting fed more than I usually feed fish in QT.  The QT tank is small, less than 10 gallons, and gets at least 50% WC daily.  As far as the salinity swing goes, I am meticulous about making sure that the salinity is exact in the new water.  The water volume is entirely too small and the WC's occur too frequently to not match exactly.  They also get Amquel added to the tank in the mornings since water changes happen in the evenings. 

While it is tempting to put them in an established tank since they're quite a bit more finicky than the average clown, I just can't do it.  I've had bad experiences with not QTing fish, even if I know where they came from, so QT is no longer an optional thing for finicky fish...either they make it through QT or they don't.

Umm_fish?
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Friday, January 14, 2011 10:45 PM
Well, I hope you pull them through. Good luck!
--Andy, the bucket man.

Chelsey
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Friday, January 14, 2011 11:45 PM
For whatever reason these guys decided to both eat well tonight.  They're still acting somewhat stressed, but as long as they're eating at least a little bit I won't freak out too much.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Friday, January 14, 2011 11:50 PM
Eating is a good thing.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Umm_fish?
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:18 PM
Woohoo! A good sign....
--Andy, the bucket man.

sissy
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 69
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion akindynos - Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:05 PM
I have a pair of WC akindynos as well as a "back up" WC female I have had for about 6 months now.  The female of the pair had her ovipositor out while in QT and then again after the pair finished QT and was added to their tank.  Nothing happened either time.  They periodically show pre-spawning behavior so I am still waiting.