Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris (Darwin Black x ?)

bluedot
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 71
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris (Darwin Black x ?) - Friday, January 14, 2011 7:40 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion Ocellaris Female - Darwin.  Male unconfirmed heritage. 

Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  2 1/2" Female, 1 3/4" Male
Age of Individuals:  Female kept for 1 1/2 yrs.  Male kept less than 1 yr.
Date added to Tank:  March 2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  50 gal (36" long)
Substrate Details:  4 inch sand bed with Live Rock and Corals and Bubble Tip anemone
Filtration Details:  HOT filter w/ carbon and poly pad
Water Changes:  5 gal every 2 weeks
Water Temperature:  77-78F
Lighting:  4- T5 bulbs
Lighting Cycle:  10-12 hrs
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Bluedot Jawfish

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen raw table shrimp and mysis thawed in RO, Spectrum Pellets, occassional other meaty prepared frozen foods and Instant Ocean Cyclops gel food. 
Feeding Schedule:  1-2 times per day, fed in the late afternoon and evening, with earlier and more feedings on weekends. 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details:  The female is hosting a 4" bubble tip anemone, and the male is allowed to come into it for a little while and even rest beneath its base.  The female wiggles and shimmies vigorously in the anemone.
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information(NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO): 

Female is Darwin Black and male comes from cross of Black and Photon.

The female has been hosting a 4" diameter Entacmaea Quadricolor anemone for the past several months, and has recently begun allowing the male to swim into the anemone occassionaly as well.   The female is very aggressive to everyone and never strays more than a few inches away from the anemone.    

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by bluedot on Monday, January 17, 2011 8:18 AM>

bluedot
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Friday, January 14, 2011 9:28 PM
Here's a picture of my Ocellaris female in her anemone.
Attached Image(s)
Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths 

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:37 PM
Nice! Love the colors Looks like a panda
Michelle  

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:21 PM
FYI, that A. ocellaris is referred to as the Darwin variant. Is the male black too? You might want to edit that in the species section and title. You get more points for Darwins too as they are more difficult than regular A. ocellaris and are class B.

http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

bluedot
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

FYI, that A. ocellaris is referred to as the Darwin variant. Is the male black too? You might want to edit that in the species section and title. You get more points for Darwins too as they are more difficult than regular A. ocellaris and are class B.

Thanks Tal.  The male is not black, I believe he is Photon, can you tell from my video?

bluedot
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:16 PM
My husband tells me he remembers when we purchased him the LFS sign said captive bred from Black and Photon parents, so guess he is only half-Black. 

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:29 PM
Interesting. As I said in the pm, Photons are a cross between a Darwin and an Onyx. From what I can find, the Photons have only been around since 2009 so the chances of someone having one old enough breed with another Darwin are pretty slim, IMO. Unless Sanjay did it himself.

I would say that they may have been mis-labled and they are either Photons or Onyx, but I'm not an expert. Maybe someone else will chime in with a more positive ID. Oh, where did you get the fish? 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

bluedot
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:57 PM
I purchased the male from Choice in Farm Hls about a year ago. 

ignatz
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points : 161
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, January 17, 2011 5:21 AM
Not an expert but here are a couple of links that might help you make a positive ID.

"SA Fancy" Amphiprion ocellaris
The Odd Couple
RC ID Thread

It seems like all of Sanjay's Photons have Percula eyes but the clown in the video does not.  Your call.  Either way, nice looking fish. Good luck!

bluedot
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, January 17, 2011 8:27 AM
Thanks to everyone for interesting and educational info regarding variants of Ocellaris and Percula. I've changed the info on the journal to reflect.