Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula]

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 41 to 80 of 88 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:37 PM

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:38 PM
Oh.....f.y.i.....lol LOVE the youtube link popup! (for those of us who messed it up every time hahaha)
Please look at my video and let me know your thoughts guys
Michelle  

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:40 PM
almost looks to big for ich. Looks more like a fungus to me. I wish I could help more.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:46 PM
The YouTube button makes embeddding vids pretty easy, doesn't it?

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I haven't had any major disease or parasite issues to deal with in person. Unfortunately, most of the books I have on the subject use drawings instead of pix to illustrate various conditions.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

rgrking
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:53 PM
[This post was marked as helpful]
here's a good site for diagnosing diseases and parasites. Good luck
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 5:54 PM
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 6:43 PM
Wow, after reading Chuck's addiction.... I am more nervous now, since I don't know what it is?
I think I will go ahead and transfer them into a separate tank, continue with the Melafix that I have been giving, (he did look better, but I had stopped it thinking it was gone, my fault).

I also have on hand : Fish Flex Forte. (for bacterial infections in fish)
(always keep some in the house as it is the only thing that helps the english bulldog at times)
So- should I use this? And if anyone has used it, how do I use it for my fish?

Per the list on Chuck's Addiction- I am narrowing it down to:
*Monogenean Parasites
*Nematodes (internal roundworm, as have noticed a "string like poop")
*or the Lymphocystis.

Thanks for reading. Not sure what to do so will be trying things SLOWLY. The Melafix I will continue, I will add the garlic to the feedings to help boost the immunity. And I will keep the QT tank at a lower salinity and lower temp per the article.

I will also send a link to WWM to see if anyone there knows of what this may be.

Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 6:58 PM
I've heard of the garlic helping them to eat, but never to help immunity.
I'm there with you about the site. I got nervous too. I don't keep a lot of chemicals to treat things at the house and then seeing that one that can kill within 12 hours I was a little worried.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 7:02 PM
I know- very frightening.
I don't want to do the wrong thing and cause more harm, but I don't want to NOT do anything and have him get worse.
I need to go tend to him, but I don't want to leave the computer as I am waiting on responses from several emails on this topic. It is a waiting game - will hold my breath, pray, and try to fix my little baby). I have grown SO attached to my fish it is ridiculous- when they are sick I feel like it's my kid, lol

Ok- bye for now- going to try to monitor him and see what I can do.
Michelle  

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 8:26 PM
Garlic is reported to boost immune systems. These are quick links for humans but it should give you an idea of some of it's properties: http://www.stopgettingsick.com/template.cfm-1689
http://ezinearticles.com/?Potent-Immune-System-Booster---Garlic&id=780680

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 9:02 PM
Just spoke with Bob (Fenner) via email, - stopping the Melafix, and increasing a wider variety of food, supplements, making sure the tank environment is perfect- I have moved the pair into a separate tank, and have just them, a clay pot (for hiding), a heater, a few rocks to help keep a foam filter in place- that's it- so maybe I can get this healed rather (somewhat) quickly, to avoid any further discomfort to the little guy.

I appreciate the comments guys. ( have been busy with everything in life, acquiring tanks, etc- just picked up another 150g) But I am happy and appreciate that when I AM able to get on here, you all jump right in and offer help/support- love it!

I will keep you posted (fingers crossed for my babies)

'Nite!
Michelle  

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, April 18, 2011 10:17 PM
So... what did Bob have to say? Any diagnosis?

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:06 AM
Good morning

He stated he does not feel it is a parasite.
And basically, let everything be as it is, and they should be fine.

STOP using the Melafix, as this is a phony product, toxic actually. (I am at fault for using this on the suggestion of a LFS owner- I usually ALWAYS go with my gut and research everything on the side of OCD before I use it in any of my tanks, but thought I would try this as a 'natural' remedy.....my fault on this)

And to leave parameters as is. Do not lower the salinity, do not lower the temp, leave everything as it is. And continue with the food supplements and variety. (also the addition of vitachem and selcon were agreed upon)

* I woke up this morning and with a soft flashlight I could see them laying on the bottom swimming back and forth, (whew) and I will be adding an extra feeding throughout the day as well.

On the garlic- you said you add it to ALL your food Tal? Throughout each feeding? Is it possible to over do the garlic? Will it pollute the water if not used up? How much is a good start for 2 babies? They are now 'maybe' an inch to an inch and a quarter in length. Figure 1 clove of garlic for the week? Diced up very small and added to each feeding, a sprinkle ?
Michelle  

ignatz
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points : 161
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:13 AM
Do you feed Cyclopeeze?  I find it's a wonder food and probably only second to PE Mysis for it's usefulness.  I was recently reminded that clowns in the wild spend their days chasing plankton and I find that cyclopeeze lets me fill the water column with food.

I use Forumla 2 flakes because it has garlic in it.  I also soak the dry foods in Selcon which has lots of vitamins and minerals.

gramalkin
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 723
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:30 AM
On the garlic, what I've heard is that once it's cut up, you really only have a day or two before the best of the antimicrobial properties break down.  Which is why the extracts aren't anywhere near as good for that purpose.  That's just anecdotal tribal knowledge in my local club though.

Depending on how much you're feeding a day, do you think you could use up a clove over two days? 

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:18 AM
I don't feed garlic for every meal but all fish get some at some point during the week.

rgrking
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:49 AM
sounds like I got something new to get at the store That's why I love this hobby. You learn something every day!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ignatz

Do you feed Cyclopeeze? 
Yes, I also like this product.

I was recently reminded that clowns in the wild spend their days chasing plankton and I find that cyclopeeze lets me fill the water column with food.
This I forgot, although I had read it somewhere,   
I have been concerned about "too much" feeding due to their size.

I use Forumla 2 flakes because it has garlic in it.  I also soak the dry foods in Selcon which has lots of vitamins and minerals.
Omega One w/ garlic. Will have to do some more online ordering a there is limited food/supplements around town. Went to 2 different shops this week and called 3 different stores.
Can't find vita-chem or selcon.
Sheesh....was there a mad dash on marine food? haha.

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gramalkin

On the garlic, what I've heard is that once it's cut up, you really only have a day or two before the best of the antimicrobial properties break down.  Which is why the extracts aren't anywhere near as good for that purpose.  That's just anecdotal tribal knowledge in my local club though.

This I did not think of, thanks for pointing it out.

Depending on how much you're feeding a day, do you think you could use up a clove over two days? 

Absolutely, I could easily spread it among my tanks

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

I don't feed garlic for every meal but all fish get some at some point during the week.

Ok, makes sense....make 'em wanting more when you feed it to them, lol....yup...just like a chef, lol!

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:30 PM
The picasso pair are in a smaller tank, swimming around, and have discovered the clay pot.

I am trying to come up with names for them - but not sure who is who yet,
so for now... they will be referred to as "The Picassos"

(although I already have a name for the one I believe to be the male, lol)

So- came home with the intent on worrying, and they are happy. The one w/the issue is looking better- no white things jutting out of him, and actually he is pooping more? (weird to just type that, but if any of you were here in conversation w/me I would have brought that up.... just in case it means something, like whatever was affecting him is 'leaving his system?)
Not sure if it means anything at all.

But he is swimming around, looking great - and I am so relieved that it doesn't look like I will have to think of losing him.

Ok---- (exhale) ... on to a new question:
At what age would you think they are 'ready' to mate/breed? 6 months? 1 year?
The way they act I SWEAR they have been sneaking peeks at my adult pair, "doin' the do" , lol... because they mimic it... right down to the spawning dance! (will try to get it on video, as I KNOW this is not what is happening, but it is still rather comical to watch at their age

Also... for picasso owner/breeders...... the marking on the right cheek... the 'little flap' that looks like a turkey 'waddle' ... is that characteristic of the breed? I have seen a few, not many, with it. But one of mine have it... so cute
Michelle  

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:01 PM
How about Pablo and Paloma?

I believe that they can be sexually mature in less than 1.5 yrs. Whether they are, or not, will remain to be seen. 

Not sure about the turkey thing, doesn't sound right, got pix?

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:09 PM
Somehow I missed this thread before
That really, really looks like Lymphocystis to me. I've had it on Angels and Butterflies in the past. Usually it appears while in QT after you've had them a week or so. It's a viral infection and typically it happens when a fish gets stress and their immune system is weakened. There isn't any meds for it you just do pretty much what you are doing. Feed them a good mixed enriched diet, keep stress to a minimum and they will get through it.

Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:26 AM
Thanks Chad- yes, will continue to keep them in a separate tank for the time being, no tank mates, no sand. (although the only other 'mates they had were a few baby hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp , a couple turbos... nothing that would have caused them stress, so I do not know really why it happened. But will continue with the feedings/supplements.

Tal- those are cute!  I am looking for a Greek (female) name at the moment. I have chosen Spiros for the male Good and strong spirit (also can translate into 'basket' which hopefully means there will be plenty of eggs hahaha But I may use P & P for my next pair, I have a search going on Looking for something that has a better success rate than my hybrids - to see how much easier it is to raise the young.

Will get a pic of the 'flap' and post

Michelle  

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:44 AM
One of the best treatments I have found for treating ailments such as this is amoxycillin. It's an antibiotic but it is very strong. I pull open the capsule and add a very small amount to the food. Literally 10-20 of the tiny grains, its almost like a powder with larger grains in it. I crush it up  and target feed it to the affected fish. Its much more effective than liquid tank treatments and doesn't effect the filter bacteria if used in this way.
I got one capsule from the vets and it will probably last years! I wouldn't however recommend you buy this on the internet, I always talk to my vet even though he's knows nothing about marine fish he understands the drugs and their capabilities and limitations. He was also very interested in how I got on with it.

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:25 AM
This is a viral infection though and not a bacterial one so antibiotics won't help at all.

Agis quod Adis

Duck
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:58 AM
Oh ok I see.  Should have read the thread more closely. Would only be useful in that case if a secondary infection occured.

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:47 AM
Which is certainly possible and some might say even likely with Lympho. The virus does some damage to the skin and creates the opportunity for a secondary infection so it doesn't hurt to have some antibiotics on standby.
Agis quod Adis

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:31 AM
Quote Originally Posted by cmpenney

Which is certainly possible and some might say even likely with Lympho.
The virus does some damage to the skin and creates the opportunity for a secondary infection so it doesn't hurt to have some antibiotics on standby.

*What type of damage are we talking about? There is nothing visible - as the white things have now 'disappeared' since being moved to the new tank, so what exactly should I be on the look out for?
Discoloration in skin? Lost scales? Anything in particular?
Hmm.... gonna put his lil guy in a bubble

Michelle  

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:35 AM
Well if everything goes well then you will see exactly what you have seen. As the tufts vanish you see health skin and scales underneath.  With bad infections the tufts can get larger and create small lesions on the skins which can get infected.IF that happens you see red areas and/or swelling at the site. From the looks of things you are probably past the worst of it and aren't going to have anything to worry about. Don't mean to scare you
Agis quod Adis

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:30 PM
Tufts have vanished - check.
Healthy skin and scales - check check.
Good eating habit and swimming around....check check check!

Whew! So happy this was not as bad as it looked from this side.
I think I will leave them in this tank for a couple of weeks-to a month, then move them to a 20 gal set up just for them- for more room.

I did take a video, but it is a bit 'cloudy' as I had just fed. So will do a better one to update.

Here is a pic of something similar to what I am referring to...the turkey waddle  lol!
On the side of the cheek, where the coloration does a dip down the face... looks like a sideburn coming out of the head stripe?
Is that a marking most have?

Michelle  

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:25 AM
Elvis Fish????
Agis quod Adis

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:45 PM
Ok, by "turkey waddle" I thought you meant a flap of skin, not coloration. Yeah, I get makings like that fairly often. It's fun to see what comes out of each batch.

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:27 PM
Lol! Sorry, should have referred to it as an Elvis marking, that fits WAY better than a turkey waddle,

I am enjoying watching them change- they seem to have similar markings coming in, similar patterns, although I can still tell who is who- from what I am hoping to be male/female...
and they have cute little "freckles" on the top fin/back tail.
One has a white top fin, while the other has black, so that's cool as well
Michelle  

saltydog
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 192
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:16 AM
Nice to see it clearing up Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean
I am looking for a Greek (female) name at the moment.

Aphrodite : Greek goddess of love, beauty, fertility.

Chris

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:26 AM
Oh I think that would be cute....Spiros & Aphrodite Thanks Chris

How could you go wrong with a name like that? The babies are bound to be incredibly gorgeous, hahaha
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, June 13, 2011 1:35 PM
Ok guys....what gives?
I have moved my Picassos BACK into the biocube, (because that is where I want them... avoids jumping... safe, contained unit, etc) but I have had them in the biocube (twice now, this being the 2nd attempt yesterday), and they react so negatively toward it? No clue.

The xenia? The sand? I have no idea. Parameters are in check with what they were in (because I actually took and swapped out the tank water and all from the tank the Picassos were in and the tank the Occys were in..even swap)

But they dig their fins in the ground (lol) and create a fish-tantrum! They remain up at the top of the water level, they refuse to go down, they really don't like it.... I have no idea why? The occy's were in there previously, (and loved it) and before that- the picassos.

What the heck is the P's issue with a biocube? I am thinking the lid? As I don't have lids on my 20L's...(hence why I wanted to swap out the two pairs). I am considering moving them back to the 20L , and just egg crating the top until I can find a lid... but seriously... there is nothing wrong with the biocube, excellent conditions... I think they are just trying to give me a hard time since things are going so good with them, lol! Any ideas?
Michelle  

Duck
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, June 13, 2011 4:44 PM
Chelle,
Funny you should mention they stay at the top of the tank. When I collected my picassos I was told they always stayed in the top right corner of the tank. When I got them home thats exactly where they spent 90% of their time. They were perfectly happy and cleaned the mastic strip constantly in that area of the tank so I don't think its anything to worry about.
Having said that my male jumped yesterday whilst I had the netting off the top and didn't notice until it was too late!
I would give them time just to settle in.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, June 13, 2011 5:23 PM
My juvenile Picassos spend more time near the bottom too.

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Percula] - Monday, June 13, 2011 8:03 PM
Thanks guys... yeah it is weird, they do like the top corner.. I just am nervous since they are still small enough to go over the edge into the overflow... not quite chubby enough not to worry, lol! Odd, though to mention... in the 20L..they stayed on the bottom...hmmm. peculiar little fishies... Soooooo I am pleased (fingers crossed!) to think I have grade A's... will be posting a pic... but would like some comments on their marking thus far if anyone feels like chiming in They still have a lil way to go, as their black is coming in... but it is cute to see they 'almost' mirror each other in markings - except on one the dorsal fin is black, the other is white... but they have the same markings/freckles on the tails, lol, too cute!
Michelle  

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 41 to 80 of 88 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version