Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia

sissy
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 69
Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Friday, January 21, 2011 11:23 PM

Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Americamysis bahia
Species description: Adult mysids range in length from 4.4 mm to 9.4 mm. Living mysids are usually transparent, but may be tinted yellow, brown, or black. Females are usually larger than males, and sex can be determined when a body length reaches 4 mm. (information obtained from www.mblaquaculture.com)
Culture source (link if possible): Unknown - Obtained from a friend
If algae, CCMP # (ref http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/ ):

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity: 1.023
Temperature: Ambient room temperature
Vessel description: 10 gallon tank
Lighting description: Ambient room light
Lighting cycle: 12 hours daylight
Aeration description: Low/Medium flow

Methodologies
Split methodology: When the number of mysid reaches 100, I will start separating the juveniles from the adults using a 2 mm screen and place them in their own 10 gallon tank for grow out.

Culture medium description:
Newly hatched brine shrimp in AM & PM

Cell count:
I am starting out with 5 mysid shrimp (yes, only 5 - that is all my friend could catch as they are fast and we were in a hurry!)

Reference links:
http://www.mblaquaculture.com/conten...ysis_bahia.php
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ulturing.shtml
http://reed-mariculture.com/zooplank...opsisbahia.asp

Additional Information
Notes:

I feed the mysids newly hatched artemia and/or BBS twice daily (AM & PM).

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread. If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by sissy on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:23 AM>

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:52 PM
I'm impressed you managed to get a picture of them. They are so fast and _very_ hard to photograph.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

sissy
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:10 PM

sissy
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:13 PM
Thanks Andy.  They are indeed fast!

If I can keep these guys alive long enough to reproduce, I'll buy a hundred or so to add to the culture as suggested for genetic diversity (thanks for the tip).

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Monday, January 24, 2011 10:26 PM
Do yo have anymore information on your culture setup. Maybe some pics.
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Monday, January 24, 2011 10:43 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see some shots of the overall culture setup!

Rook
  • Total Posts : 804
  • Reward points : 1287
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:16 AM
Very cool, and good luck.  Is the BBS as a food source intended to reduce the chance that the mysid attack each other?  Do you culture these with any greenwater?
Rook

sissy
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:40 AM
They are still alive; no more, no less.  I guess it's time to actually buy 100 or so.  I am seeding a sponge filter in my fish system broodstock which I will use once I receive the other mysids.

I'll get some pictures later today.  It's a very basic set up; 10 gallon tank, some dry rock for them to hide in and an air stone. I am rethinking the dry rock... It will make harvesting a nightmare!

I do use the artemia/BBS (enriched) as a food source and to reduce the chance of them attacking each other.  I have not been adding greenwater.  I will start using my excess rotifers as well.

Suzy
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Reward points : 209
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Americamysis bahia - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:47 AM
Cool!