Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus/ Yellow Watchman Goby

Suzy
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Reward points : 209
Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus/ Yellow Watchman Goby - Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:05 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Cyrptocentrus cinctus
Social Structure:  Male, female
Size of Individuals:   Adult
Age of Individuals:  At least 3 years, as I have had them that long.
Date added to Tank:  In a community tank for years before I isolated them to their own abode.

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20L divided in half
Substrate Details:  Aragonite 1 inch or so
Filtration Details:  Plumbed to 300 gallon system
Water Changes:  I try to do 10% weekly
Water Temperature:  80`
Lighting:  Home Depot shop light
Lighting Cycle:  6 am to 9 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  One lettuce nudibranch until I find a few more. I finally found the perfect food for him!

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen Hikari mysis, brine shrimp and spirulina flake, occasional PE mysis
Feeding Schedule:  twice a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Years ago, I'll bet.
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  This spawn might have been yesterday or last night, 1.22.11
Courtship Details:  Not seen
Egg Size:  tiny?
Egg Color:  Yellow when first laid, turning silver as they approach hatch
Egg Count: Lots!

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information(NO PHOTOS OR VIDEO): 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Suzy on Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:36 AM>

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:31 AM

Meet Richard, of the Richard Nixon family. Don't you love the look on his face? He is really worried, wondering how he is  paying for all these babies! Nixon has ditched them, she's off galavanting around with the pet nudibranch.

This photo was taken of the first spawn I got after I decided I wanted to see if they would produce eggs if I isolated them. I really need your help. I had no idea what I was doing at this point, so I took them from him and put them in a tumbler. It did not work obviously.

The next spawn, I waited until they hatched, then siphoned them into a 2 gallon fish bowl, put an airline in the side and had the food gently go round and round in the bowl. But, my rotifers have copepods in them. Could the pods have eaten the tiny larvae?

The third spawn happened on a day I work, so that was a bust. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I got a really cool larvae catcher this time!

Help?Please?

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:56 AM
I love this photo! It was the first batch I got, after I put the eggs in the tumbler I could not tell if they were alive so I checked 'em out up close. I could see their little hearts beating! I think it was their hearts...

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:25 AM
So far it looks like you have had a good start and are on the right track..There are some here that have some experience with gobies in general and I think someone recently was working with watchman's that hopefully will jump in here soon.
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:38 AM
That would be sweet! Thanks!

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:50 AM
In the mean time this might be helpful for you:
http://www.mbisite.org/Species.aspx?q=&fori=&class=&g=12

It's a list of all the fish in the gobie family we currently have classified. Any Species that has a to the right of it's name means that reports have been submitted for it. If you click the species name it will show you the reports and Journals for that species. Might give you some hints that would be helpful.
Agis quod Adis

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:05 AM
Hey, how cool is that! Thanks!

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:12 AM
Suzy can you show us some pictures of your whole setup. I'm always interested in how people setup everything.
Agis quod Adis

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:00 PM
Here is the wall of tanks that has the gobies. The lower left is the gobies/clownfish. Above that are pearly jawfish. Upper left is temporarily housing a maroon clown pair, 3 sleeper gobies, and an aiptasia farm for my bergias. Below that, lower left is a growout tank for my H erectus, sharing that with 3 tiny banggai cardinals. That tank also houses and mated pair of clowns with a male and female blenny.

This is just the YWG tank, which is my funky algae farm where I finally discovered the algae that my lettuce nudis eat. Not the red, unfortunatley. I am planning a vacuum this afternoon to tidy up a bit, but now is the only time I can get the computer to myself while the hubby is watching football.

Close up of this spawn:

I am afraid they will not hatch until the next days I work, Fri and Sat. Fingers crossed they hatch Thursday.... I guess there are 100 eggs in this spawn ribbon.
<message edited by Suzy on Monday, January 24, 2011 8:06 AM>

bluedot
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 71
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:02 PM
Hi Suzy, awsome pics of the larvae!  My pair has spawned 3 times now but I'm still working on snagging more than a couple of larvae, and have not had any success keeping those alive that I was able to catch as yet.  I want to try copepods as first food as I've no experience with rotifer culture, and read article which said more common strain rotifers too large.  They recommended S strain (small).  So far not so good, but I'll be trying again in a few days when the next batch hatches.

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Monday, January 24, 2011 7:57 AM
I have to read up on rotifers. When they reproduce, wouldn't the new rots ( I hate to say baby rots) be smaller?

Does anyone know if the copepods ( "Tiggerpods") will be an issue to these tiny larvae?

Thanks for your reply, Blue Dot. I was able to catch quite a few with a previous batch using a siphon method, but I wonder if that was too traumatic on their tiny bodies. I am going to just dip a cup into the tank next time. 

I read Amy Dremels write up about these fish. Do you have any others? I searched Google Scholar and found nothing.

cmpenney
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Monday, January 24, 2011 9:07 AM
Chad Vossen ( He's on here some times ) makes a really nice larval trap that might be an option for you as well.

Agis quod Adis

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Monday, January 24, 2011 10:17 AM
I have one. These larvae are not phototrophic so I am not sure how well it will work. If they are not hatched before I work Friday, we will see how it works...

I will try it anyway and see. I hope they hatch Thursday!

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Monday, January 24, 2011 11:21 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Suzy

I have to read up on rotifers. When they reproduce, wouldn't the new rots ( I hate to say baby rots) be smaller?

Does anyone know if the copepods ( "Tiggerpods") will be an issue to these tiny larvae?

Yes, newly hatched rotifers will be smaller than adults and can be harvested by size with different sized micron sieves.

Tiggerpods and rotifers are fine together.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:43 AM
So, do they grow super quick before the larvae can eat them? Why would one need s strain rotifers if we can just use juvenile l strain?

This is my first tiny larvae. Can you tell?!

The eggs are white this morning. No eyeballs. I hope we didn't get the fungus....

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:46 PM
So, the egg strand fell off, went under the PVC piece. I put them in a brine shrimp cone with a bubbler. Any chance they will live ?

I think I learn something with every spawn, and one thing I am learning more and more? I suck at this.....

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:59 PM
White eggs and no eyes isn't a good sign.  Keep an eye on them though, some might hatch.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

sissy
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 69
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:08 PM
Congrats on the spawns and eggs Suzy!  I wish I had some insight for you but I don't.. I hope to try raising some gobies.

ssabey
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points : 791
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Monday, January 31, 2011 11:58 PM
Congrats on the spawn Suzy!!! Your fish room has changed a lot since I last seen it, looks great!!!

Suzy
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Cyrptocentrus cintrus - Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:28 AM
Hey, Thanks! I just added more tanks! I am now wondering how I can put some more across the room!