Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana

Suzy
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Reward points : 209
Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:59 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Isochrysis galbana
Species description: 
Culture source (link if possible): 
If algae, CCMP # (ref http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/ ):  ccmp462
Culture Establishment Date:  9/2010

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  32 ppt
Temperature:  room temp
Vessel description:  Used Diet Pepsi bottles, 2L
Lighting description:  Shop Lights
Lighting cycle:  24/7
Aeration description: Moderate bubble

Methodologies
Split methodology:  As I need one bottle, I use it. When I am down to 4 bottles or so, I inoculate more.

Culture medium description:  I mix 5 gallons of saltwater with RO water to a salinity of 32 ppt. I add 1 cap of micro algae fertilizer from FAFs which I beleive is 10 cc's. I also add one cap of household bleach, also 10 ccs. I then fill as many DP bottles as I can with that 5 gallons, cap them tightly and store them in my fish room until needed.

Cell count:  unknown

Reference links:   

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
When room becomes available on the algae shelf, I then drill a hole on the bottom of the bottle, flip it upside down and get a tube from a bucket of bleached water in my sink room.  I bubble it over night and the next day inoculate it with a bottle that has been growing for a while.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

Suzy
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:02 PM
This method has worked for me for quite a while. I used it for Tetraslemis for years, and only recently switched to Isochrysis.

Unicellular alga growing in an easy peasy blonde way! For me, it works as a time saving method. It may not work for those who use a lot of phyto. I use less than a liter a day, and I really need even less than that.

BUt, I keep getting these cool snail ribbons so I may need more one day!

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:34 PM
Any clue what your room temp (or more importantly, culture temp) is? I _tried_ T-Iso. I really did. I got one culture to split, once. No other cultures have ever made it for me.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Suzy
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:56 PM
It is in my basement, and rather cool. 68`. ! struggle to keep the tanks at 80`. I have insulated them and a heater in everyone. Every time I look at them , the red light is on...

In the summer the temp may rise to low 70's. I started this species in the late fall so I do not know if cooler is better. I tried a few years back, two winters in a row, to grow Rhodomonas. I was able to get it going well until the temps went up in the spring. Maybe this one is like that? We'll see in the spring...

ReeferGoalie
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 74
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Monday, June 20, 2011 8:27 AM
I got a couple bottles of Iso starter culture that I set up on Friday. By the time I got home Saturday night they were essentially clear with apparently nothing at all in them. It was new SW and cleaned out 2L bottles. Does Iso normally crash/die that quickly? I'm wondering if the "starter cultures" I got from Ebay were actually alive. The half bottle I had left in the fridge settles out 100% overnight. I need to find/order a better culture I think. Just looking for info as this is my first attempt with Iso.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Monday, June 20, 2011 10:48 AM
Iso is a bit touchy but it sounds like what you got might not have been live.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

ReeferGoalie
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 74
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Monday, June 20, 2011 11:39 AM
That's my thinking. I'm guessing the Priority shipping with no heat/cool pack or insulation did it in. Nanno seems alright...and I got sent an extra bottle of Nanno instead of Tet, which is now on its way.

Tal, you willing/able to send some Iso starter? I'd still like to culture the stuff but I'd rather start with something I know has a chance.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Monday, June 20, 2011 2:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ReeferGoalie

That's my thinking. I'm guessing the Priority shipping with no heat/cool pack or insulation did it in. Nanno seems alright...and I got sent an extra bottle of Nanno instead of Tet, which is now on its way.

Tal, you willing/able to send some Iso starter? I'd still like to culture the stuff but I'd rather start with something I know has a chance.

I'm sorry, I no longer culture live phyto. I use the algae pastes from Reed.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."