Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse

Suzy
  • Total Posts : 138
  • Reward points : 209
Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse - Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:30 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Hippocampus erectus
Social Structure:  2:1 male to female grouping
Size of Individuals:  3 inches
Age of Individuals:  10 months, to unknown
Date added to Tank:  2/6/11

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  75 AGA
Substrate Details:  2 inches aragonite
Filtration Details:  Plumbed into 300 gallon system, large skimmer and sump with refugium
Water Changes:  Bi-weekly 20%
Water Temperature:  `78
Lighting:  4 foot flourescent shop lights
Lighting Cycle:  7 am to 10 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  2 small damselfishes

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  PE mysis, K=Hikari mysis, enriched frozen brine shrimp
Feeding Schedule:  Twice daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Suzy on Monday, February 7, 2011 3:52 PM>

Suzy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse - Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:31 AM
 I have been raising this species of seahorse for a few years, ever since the CITES regs changed on them in May of 2004.They are my favorite of all the syngnathids, and I adore them. I was able to get them to breed through a few generations, and this is the last of them. Each generation seemed to get weaker and weaker, and instead of getting better at each generation, I got worse results. This last one is much smaller than his wild caught tank mates. I took this photo just after moving him from his private grow out tank, to the main display.His color is darker. I think he will lighten up to his gorgeous yellow bronze hue as he finds his way in the big tank.

This is one of the wild caught seahorses I got last month. She is from the Gulf of Mexico and definately super spoiled. A few of her tank mates are eating frozen food, she prefers live shrimp right now. But, I found a cheap source so I may just spoil her for a while. I really think she has great color for a fish whose common name is "Black lined seahorse".

I do hope these two can pair up. So far, I am not seeing any thing to make me think they will. He may be just too small, she may be just too picky. I do have more than one choice for both of them. There are 2 males and 3 females.

Wish me luck?
<message edited by Suzy on Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:37 AM>

Suzy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse - Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:40 AM
I decided to turn the temp down a bit, and let everyone get to know each other before their summer comes....

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse - Friday, December 30, 2011 12:48 PM
Any more updates on this Suzy? Did they ever pair up for you? The colors are amazing, very nice
Michelle  

Suzy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hippocampus erectus/Black lined Seahorse - Friday, March 9, 2012 7:58 PM
How very kind!

The males really love to flirt....

.....with each other.