Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus

BlakeT
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 239
Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:23 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Salarias ramosus
  Common Name:Starry Blennies 
Social Structure: Male/female bonded pair
Size of Individuals:  4"
Age of Individuals:Unknown
Date added to Tank:9/21/10

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 120 Gallons
Substrate Details: Aragonite live sand
Filtration Details: ASM G2
Water Changes: 30 gallons bi-monthly
Water Temperature: 80F
Salinity:1.025
Lighting: 2X150 HQI's
Lighting Cycle: 10 on 14 off
Salt Type: D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro+
Other Tank Inhabitants: Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Hawk, Diamond Goby, Pair of Bangaiis & and pair of spawning Rod's Onyx.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: PE mysis, nutramar ova, Rods food, cyclopeeze, Salifert Energy plus pellet food
Feeding Schedule: 2-3X a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 5/19/11
Spawn Time of Day: Evening
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:
Courtship Details: Male turns white and chases female throughout tank.
Egg Size: Hard to say? Maybe half the size of a clownfish egg?
Egg Color: Bright yellow
Egg Count: Hundreds

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larvae Description:
Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Salinity:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Salt Type:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Salinity:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Salt Type:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:28 PM
WOOHOO! I'm so excited that these guys spawned for me! I have no experience outside of seahorses and clowns, so this will be a challenge. Does anybody have experience with this fish or close relatives? Here are some pics, and I will upload a pic of the eggs and a video tomorrow! 

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:15 PM
You can see the eggs in the pvc tube toward the end of the video. Look for the yellow! Click on the pic and it will take you to the video.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:23 PM
That's cool! I wasn't seeing the eggs in the pix. 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:27 PM
Thanks! I'll get some tomorrow. You can see the eggs in the tube toward the end of the video. It just looks like the inside of the tube is yellow.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:43 PM
Didn't Andy spawn this species (or a related species)?  My guess is larvae will be smaller, but they maybe can be done with greenwater technique using either live T-Iso or maybe the RotiGrow system.

Nice thing is that you can probably very easily replace that PVC tube with another of the same size and length, and hatch the eggs artificially just by running an airstone over them.

Good luck - excited!

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Friday, May 20, 2011 9:58 AM
Nicely done! I did get mine to spawn but never had a chance to try to raise them.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Friday, May 20, 2011 10:01 AM
Here's a video I did of the courtship colors:

--Andy, the bucket man.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Friday, May 20, 2011 10:25 AM
cool video.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Friday, May 20, 2011 9:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! Awesome video Andy. Your male is so bold, mine stops displaying when I get close to the tank.

I don't have much to work with this first round...Only regular rotifers, rotifer diet, and a copepod culture (not sure what species, but is the same as the ones I see on the glass in my reef tanks). Thoughts?

I'll work on locating T-Iso, SS strain rotifers, and possibly a different pod species to work with. Any recommendations out there?

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Friday, May 20, 2011 9:22 PM
I got a pic. Not the best because the tube is tilted up and to the left, so the glass makes the picture  a little fuzzy.

Umm_fish?
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:12 AM
Try what you have. You never know what'll work or not. Even if it doesn't work, well, then you know for sure what doesn't work.

Congratulations! Nice photo. Regarding the video: My old vid camera has good zoom optics. (Leica lens on a cheapo camera, go figure. It's why I bought that camera.) So I was actually halfway across the room taking the video.
--Andy, the bucket man.

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:08 PM
Ok, sounds good. I got some L strain rotifers and a bunch of copepods today. I'll get those guys going, and hopefully have something to offer the fry when they hatch. The eggs look the same so far. No changes in color yet.

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:29 PM
Just in case, I'm trying to locate s-strain rotifers but have not been able to find them. Any suggestions?

Also, would any of algagen's new pods be useful? I would be willing to try culturing those.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:34 PM
Any of the smaller pods should work (Tisbe naups are pelagic), parvo is pelagic as are A. tonsa.  They do bulk orders, just let them know ahead of time and they can hook you up.   Pricing is pretty decent for larger amounts too.

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:52 PM
Ok great. I work at a LFS so hopefully we can do an order through them and I can get my pods.

What species are the pods that are commonly seen in aquariums crawling on the glass? Those are the ones I have now, and I wonder if they would be useful.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:33 PM
Those are a harps - species could be anything  

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:13 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply. I would like to try Tisbe, Tonsa, and parvo. I want to maximize my chances as long as they aren't too expensive. I have the space, and summer is right around the corner so I'll have time to devote to these guys. Finals are next week, which is when these guys will hatch out. 

It looks like I have some research to do on culturing those species of copepods....

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:41 PM
They hatched last night. That makes incubation 8 days. I decided not to collect them, I'll wait until I can get my parvocalanus cultures going. I think I will be ordering next week.

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:10 PM
hrmm I'll be watching this one for sure as I am working on fasciatus....  excellent to see the display caught!!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

BlakeT
Re:Breeding Journal, Starry Blennies: Salarias ramosus - Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:17 AM
Thanks! I'll keep you posted. fasciatus are so similar, so hopefully whatever we are able to learn will be applicable to both species.