Rods Food new Breeders Blend

FlynnFish
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 457
Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, May 20, 2011 1:05 PM

Rods Food will be releasing a new Breeders Blend, if all goes well, at the end of the month.
I spoke with Rod and the new blend seems very promising.
Rod went off of the Original formula and took out the smaller particle foods and doubled up on the fish eggs and selco, and tripled the squid to have a more fat enriched blend to make the ultimate conditioning food.
I got a free sample in the mail wednesday but haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I will post my thoughts about it as soon I use it.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, May 20, 2011 2:21 PM
Yeah, I heard about this last week. Looking forward to trying it.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, May 20, 2011 3:31 PM
That's awesome. let us know how they like it.

What are you feeding it to?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:16 AM
Go Rod! Though once you get them conditioned you should back off on the squid somewhat. Don't want the fish to get fatty liver disease.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

FlynnFish
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Umm_fish?

Don't want the fish to get fatty liver disease.

I've read that in a book, this was my only concern with the food.
I've tried the food for a few days and the fish seem to like it very much. It still has smaller pieces for the smaller varieties of fish and also bigger pieces for those pig-of-a-fish like mine. I am feeding Bangaii Cardinals, ocellaris clowns, percula clowns, and coral banded shrimp. My other fish, a purple firefish and a mystery wrasse, also enjoy the new food.
As of so far I like the new food and give it a thumbs up

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:55 PM
Rod makes great food. There ain't no doubt about it. When I make my own what I'm shooting for is the quality of his.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

jedi82knight
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points : 290
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 8:08 PM
Can anybody tell me if this is available yet? The only info i can find state that it was anticipated months ago. TIA
- Brandon AKA Jedi Knight

FlynnFish
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 8:13 PM
yes it is available. I believe it is also cheaper than the original, I know that Wholesale cost is cheaper. Good stuff, my percs dont eat their eggs while being fed this food.

Fishtal
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 8:21 PM
It is available, Rod sent me some but I'm not sure how to get it. I'm sure that any LFS that carries his products can get it. I'll check with him and see if you can order direct.

jedi82knight
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 9:05 PM
Thank to you both

Fishtal
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 9:09 PM
I sent Rod a message about this thread.

jedi82knight
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 9:27 PM
...as I was trying to say... Thanks to you both. None of the online vendors, that I've checked, carry it and I don't buy anything locally due to outrageous prices (LFSs have little competition).

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 9:50 PM
I've been checking my lfs every time Im there and all I've gotten in two months is that its ordered...
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Friday, October 7, 2011 10:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by jedi82knight

...as I was trying to say... Thanks to you both. None of the online vendors, that I've checked, carry it and I don't buy anything locally due to outrageous prices (LFSs have little competition).

I won't officially speak for Rod, but here's what I recall from past conversations with him.  The jist here is that I'm not sure Rod is even willing to sell his food to online vendors because he firmly believes in supporting the LFS. By the same token, unlike other foods, Rod's uses MAP pricing, which means that you can't sell it under a specific price.  And that in turn generally encourages shops to not overprice the food, because every shop knows what the minimum price must be anyway.  It changes the pricing of Rod's food from commodification to his food being a "value add" for the LFS.  In the end, I've always seen Rod's Food offered at the same prices wherever it is sold, and it's always at the MAP price (which pretty much seems to double as the "Suggested Retail Price" as well).

I have both the Breeder's Blend and the Original Blend on hand right now.  Normally, I buy the Fish Only blend.  Rod has some interesting ideas on using the Original Blend as the initial conditioning food and spawning stimuli, and seemed to suggest that the Breeder's Blend is more for once a fish is already producing (which I "interpret" waiting until the fish are burning through the fats and nutrients to make eggs, vs. storing that excess fat in the liver).  I asked a local breeder here (MDoty) to try the Breeder's blend on his Melanopus pair and see if it raises his clutch size or improves his larval survival...we shall see.

TheCoralShoppe
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 191
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:57 AM
I always hear about this food, yet have never seen it personally. Never seen a wholesaler that carries it. Do you have to buy directly from him?

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 321
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:42 AM
If your having trouble finding it, you could always make something similar or even better as your can tailor it to your needs. 

gramalkin
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 723
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:40 PM
I had been using a home recipe made in the food processor for near two years without ever getting my clowns to lay.  I had quite the variety of stuff in my own blend and was convinced my fish were eating better than I was.  Then, when I talked to the owner of my favorite LFS about carrying Rods, I also told him that Rods was coming out with a Breeders Blend and I was extremely interested once it was available.  Turns out, when he made his Rods Food order, he got several samples of the Breeders Blend, which he turned all of them over to me.

I distributed several of the packs to other breeders I know in my local club, and we have all seen extremely positive things from it.  My clowns, who hadn't laid at all over the past two years, started laying about two weeks after I started feeding Rods.  The established darwin black pair that had stopped laying when I bought them, started back up a few weeks after I started feeding the Breeders Blend.

I am quite convinced it's excellent conditioning food.  Knowing about the extra squid, I don't feed it every day, but it's on the menu at least three times a week.  Eggs are laid extremely regularly every two weeks, and clutch sizes are typically ~200 eggs.  Never had an incident where the eggs all get eaten before hatch.

It's good stuff.
- David Gibson
Denton, TX

TheCoralShoppe
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 191
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:09 PM
The problem i have is making our own food. Trying to find the time is really hard for us. So if i can find something pre made that works great and is reasonably priced, would be great for us.

DBarrick
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 84
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:30 PM
You can get Rod's directly from him.  He ships fast and has low min order amounts.
I am getting ready to put in another order this week as we sell it fairly well in our store.

jedi82knight
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:14 PM
I still forget that we do have one good LFS in town (i just found him a few months ago). He is ordering me some

Sorry Josh if you ever read my prior statement regarding our local LFSs, you are not included

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Monday, October 10, 2011 11:50 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Quote Originally Posted by jedi82knight

I won't officially speak for Rod, but here's what I recall from past conversations with him.  The jist here is that I'm not sure Rod is even willing to sell his food to online vendors because he firmly believes in supporting the LFS. By the same token, unlike other foods, Rod's uses MAP pricing, which means that you can't sell it under a specific price.  And that in turn generally encourages shops to not overprice the food, because every shop knows what the minimum price must be anyway.  It changes the pricing of Rod's food from commodification to his food being a "value add" for the LFS.  In the end, I've always seen Rod's Food offered at the same prices wherever it is sold, and it's always at the MAP price (which pretty much seems to double as the "Suggested Retail Price" as well).

I have both the Breeder's Blend and the Original Blend on hand right now.  Normally, I buy the Fish Only blend.  Rod has some interesting ideas on using the Original Blend as the initial conditioning food and spawning stimuli, and seemed to suggest that the Breeder's Blend is more for once a fish is already producing (which I "interpret" waiting until the fish are burning through the fats and nutrients to make eggs, vs. storing that excess fat in the liver).  I asked a local breeder here (MDoty) to try the Breeder's blend on his Melanopus pair and see if it raises his clutch size or improves his larval survival...we shall see.

Even though he may not sell to "online vendors" he sells to stores that have an online presence (our policies are pretty much the same)

http://neptuneaquatics.co...g/supplies/food?page=1

One of our local dealers sells Rods Food online, also they sell RN on thier website and we do not sell to online only dealers either.

His prices may be the same locally for you, but out here his prices range from store to store, some much higher then MAP.  We have the same issue with RN, our east coast dealers charge much more then our west coast... shipping.

MAP = minimum advertised price.  You can not advertise the price any lower but no company can tell you what you have to sell it for as that is pretty much price fixing.  Honestly even enforcing MAP in some states is impossible, like Texas IIRC, due to court rulings.  Although its been a couple years since I extensively researched this topic so of course it could have changed (most likely for not in favor of MAP if it did change).

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Rods Food new Breeders Blend - Monday, October 10, 2011 11:57 AM
Quote Originally Posted by TheCoralShoppe

I always hear about this food, yet have never seen it personally. Never seen a wholesaler that carries it. Do you have to buy directly from him?

Mike, you guys are probably in a position to carry it directly.  Call Rod.