Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc)

ReefBreeder
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 61
Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:37 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon Male)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc Female)
Social Structure: 
Size of Individuals:  Maroon Male 2", Oscillaris Female 3.5"
Age of Individuals:  Maroon Male 1 year old, Oscillaris Female 3 years old
Date added to Tank:  April 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  36G Bowfront
Substrate Details:  BB
Filtration Details:HOB Skimmer
Water Changes:  1 5G Weekly
Water Temperature:  81F
Lighting: T-5
Lighting Cycle:  10am-7pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Various Snails, mostly dwarf cerith

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Pellets, Roggers, Mysis
Feeding Schedule:  once daily at 6pm

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  5/28/11
Spawn Time of Day:  6am
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details:  Flirting in their ceramic cave, prespawn involved fanning and cleaning right side of cave.
Egg Size: 
Egg Color:  Orange
Egg Count:  500-700

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  77
Size of Larval Tank:  10G
Substrate Details:  BB
Other Tank Decor:  Painted 3 sides, black cardboard on front
Filtration Details:  Nada
Lighting:  pc off to the side
Lighting Cycle:  24/7
Water Changes:  .5G Daily

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers
Feeding Schedule: 8am, 1pm, 6pm

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

Miscellaneous Information: 
I received this pair a few months ago in the hopes that I could get them to breed.  They were already an established pair i.e. hadn't killed each other, so I thought chances were good.  The Maroon is the male and the oscillaris is the female.

<message edited by ReefBreeder on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:50 PM>

ReefBreeder
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:44 PM
A ceramic cave made for me by a friend

When I first got them, in the acclimator

Haven't found the cave yet

Found it and almost never leave

Male always guards the back hole

I noticed that they had been cleaning and fanning the sides of the cave incessantly and thought that was a good sign.  That was thursday and friday.
Woke up the morning of Saturday 28th and saw a tiny batch of eggs (Look above the females head)

Upon closer inspection, I turned the cave a bit more, the shadow on the right...all eggs, the clutch is huge!!!

gje
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 42
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:07 PM
nice,good luck and keep the updates coming

ReefBreeder
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:12 AM
Thank you gje!

And we have eyes!!

FlynnFish
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points : 457
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:20 AM
Any updates??

ReefBreeder
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:28 AM
Hey Flynn,
Well the eggs hatched on the morning of the 4th, but I did not have my rots fully cultured so I lost them.  I am a little worried as I have not seen them prespawning since then.  I know it can take a couple weeks before they spawn again, but still..

FlynnFish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:34 AM
Yes, my ocellaris are doing this now. I took the rock with the eggs out back in march to raise the fry, and they layed one batch of eggs since. I'm interested by your outcomes with this pair. I have a "maroon percula hybrid" that I would like to pair with another percula.

ReefBreeder
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:50 AM
Success!  I noticed the female picking at the sides of the cave yesterday and sure enough, this morning I saw they had laid eggs, quite a bit bigger than the first batch too!!

FlynnFish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:41 AM
Congrats!

ReefBreeder
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc) - Friday, June 24, 2011 7:53 AM
Another success of sorts, I have baby clowns swimming in a sea of Green!
It is a bitter sweet time as I made a rookie mistake which resulted in a less than optimal hatch.
The night I thought they were going to hatch which was tuesday the 21st, I removed the cave and placed it in my 10G fry tank.  The hardest thing I found was getting the bubbles to be calm enough to wave the eggs and place the air stone in teh perfect spot. 
Anyway, Wednesday morning I woke up and found that only one fry had hatched.  I went ahead and left the cave in.  Thursday Morning I woke up and saw what I thought was a bunch of empty eggs and some fry swimming around the tank.  So I tinted the water and added rots and took the cave out.  I started tending to my other tanks and came back in a few minutes to rinse out the cave and saw this

Turns out what I though was clear was silver and most of my eggs hadn't hatched yet.  I have about 20 fry that hatched I'm keeping my fingers crossed that most make it.