Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni

ReeferGoalie
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 74
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, June 3, 2011 8:56 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure:  Pair (groups?)
Size of Individuals:  2.5-3"+
Age of Individuals:  Wild - unknown
Date added to Tank:  4/28/2011  

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  65g
Substrate Details:  3" DSB
Filtration Details:  50g sump, live rock, Coralife Skimmer  
Water Changes:  10% every 2-3 months
Water Temperature:  78-82
Lighting:  2x250w HQI
Lighting Cycle:  8on/16off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  snails, corals

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen mysis, frozen brine, frozen mix
Feeding Schedule:  3-4 times daily as possible

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  6/5/11  
Spawn Time of Day:  not sure
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  6/21/11 (different male)  
Courtship Details:  3 fish - 2 males+1 female, female has spawned with both males
Egg Size:  2-3mm
Egg Color:  light orange
Egg Count:  unsure

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  n/a  
Hatch Time of Day:  not sure
# Days after Spawn:  not sure
Larvae Description:  orange balls with google-eyes!

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  78-82
Size of Larval Tank: 65g (kept in display)          
Substrate Details:  same as above
Other Tank Decor:  live rock, macroalgae, corals
Filtration Details:  same as above
Lighting:  same as above
Lighting Cycle:  same as above
Water Changes:  same as above

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  newly hatched brine shrimp, frozen mysis, frozen brine, frozen mix
Feeding Schedule:  3-5 times daily

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  not sure
Days after Hatch:  same as above
Date of Settlement End:  same as above
Description of Fry:  miniature adults

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  same as above
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  same as above
Substrate Details:  same as above
Other Tank Decor:  same as above
Filtration Details:  same as above
Lighting:  same as above
Lighting Cycle:  same as above
Water Changes:  same as above
Size at Transfer:  same as above
Age at Transfer:  same as above

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen variety (same as above)
Feeding Schedule:  3-5 times daily

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by ReeferGoalie on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:18 PM>

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, June 3, 2011 8:59 PM
This is retroactive to early 2005. Long story short, I picked out three fish late the previous year at the Cincinnati/Dayton, OH frag swap and ended up with a male and two females. About 6 months later I had babies. Unfortunately, I moved about 2 months after this and never had them spawn again. Currently working on setting up new pairs. Pictures of male holding and juveniles below. I sold the 9 that made it to the LFS I worked at at the time, at around an inch or so.

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:50 PM
Score! Pics to come tomorrow since I was heading to bed just now and the camera isn't ready...but I went to feed my tank tonight (with my three new Banggais in it...I've had them about 3 months now) and found my male with a mouthful of eggs! I am a happy camper!

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, June 4, 2011 9:41 PM
Very cool! Can't wait to see pics.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:22 AM
Lights come on about 3pm today. Caught glimpses of him this morning but couldn't see much. Reminds me...I need to clean the glass on my tank too!

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:10 PM
Well, he's decided he doesn't like being on display...so no photos tonight. Hopefully he's still in there somewhere!

Fishtal
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:21 PM
My male tends to hide and be protected by the female while he's holding too.

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points : 829
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:33 PM
My male will almost always turn away from me and hide while he's holding.  Congrats on the new pair spawning.

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, June 6, 2011 8:50 AM
Ugh...I need to break this tank down. I've had random fish going missing and this morning my big female clown was a no-show with the little male hiding in the upper corner. Searched all around outside the tank and nothing. I know I have a crab in there but it hasn't been a problem, but I'm suspecting it may be manual removal time at this point. I'll be rather mad if that's what's going on. More to come tonight...

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Reward points : 1443
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, June 6, 2011 9:16 AM
Good luck and keep us posted
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, June 6, 2011 9:15 PM
Well, 80% of the rock is out of the tank, and I've got crap all over the place. The whole thing needs to be re-worked and re-aquascaped. Got my frags in a 2.5g tank on the living room floor lol...they'll have to manage until tomorrow, I'm beat.

The good news:

1. My female clown was adventurous and found her way into the overflow. She's back with her mate and I think I may pull them into their own tank before I set this whole thing back together.

2. Found my third Banggai. Still holding, nonetheless...and I got some (incredibly crappy) pictures! Of course, he's holding his head/mouth away from me at every chance to protect them. Good sign, I guess!

3. Took some pics of the Collonista(?) snails that have been breeding in the tank.

Bad news:

1. No sign of the crab...I thought the first when the female clown went missing. She's a good 3"+ and bites MY hand.

2. I have to put this all back IN the tank at some point!

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, June 6, 2011 9:24 PM
And here we go. Yeah, I don't often (ever?) scrape the sides of my tank...

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:56 AM
wow time flies...5 days down already. He was still holding as of this morning. On another interesting note, the other two Banggai have been hanging out a lot together and seemed to be in the beginning stage of some sort of mating display. From the looks of them and my guess, the third wheel from the first spawning (make sense of that one!) appears to be another male, so I'm fairly certain I have two males and a female. More to come...

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:16 PM
Well, my male has gone missing again...despite me removing about 50% of the live rock from the tank. I managed to find and remove the crab that was in there. The male was looking good at that point...and seemed fine after the tank re-work, though he had holed up in a little spot in between some rocks. There's not a lot of rockwork in the tank really (there's enough, but not tons) and I haven't seen him in 2 days. The other 2 cardinals are looking good, as is my pair of ocellaris. Hopefully he turns up somewhere...not sure where he could have gone. He either found a *much* better hiding spot or died under a rock somewhere. <sigh> Today, if he's still alive and in there, would make 13 days holding. He hasn't come out to eat at all, so either he's dead, or hiding/holding. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm honestly a little worried, since I can't find any spots where he could be hiding, but I don't want to pullt he rockwork out again...

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, June 17, 2011 7:01 AM
<sigh> Apprently my fish find the overflow infinitely attractive lately. Pulled him out and he's back in the main tank. Can't tell for sure quite yet, but I think he's still holding.

Also, not sure if there was some aggression or the crab got a piece of him before I pulled it out, but he's missing a portion of his tail on the bottom. Doesn't seem any worse for wear otherwise (knock on wood).

Fishtal
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, June 17, 2011 12:26 PM
I would suspect aggression from the female in this case.

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, June 17, 2011 12:58 PM
Could be. Keeping an eye on everything. Trying to figure out if the other two are a pair or not. Could be, but for once I'm not really certain.

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:22 PM
Update: just got (work-related!) call here from the gf...one of the other fish is carrying eggs now. Means I've definitely got a female and two males. I guess I'm in the market for another female then...as I'll likely have to pull the second male...which was the one initially holding the eggs (he either spit or swallowed while in the overflow...for all I know I've got baby Banggers in my overflow...but I doubt it LOL). Wish me luck....again! (grumble grumble...stupid fish)

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:15 PM
At it again for sure. 

ReeferGoalie
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, July 8, 2011 2:17 PM
Long story short - female got aggressive with the second male again at some point and killed him. Found him floating upside-down barely alive. Started hanging around again with the first male, who seems to have mostly recovered and was doing alright. 

Came back last night after a week's vacation out of town, and figured I'd have only the female Banggai left. Fed them this morning and noticed two fish still in there...and he's holding eggs AGAIN. So, I'm thinking I'm going to need to pull the male in the next day or two...or maybe pull the female as odds are she's likely going to freak out and go after him again at some point. Buggers...