Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:15 AM
If you weren't at the MBI Workshop this year, among all the other exciting information you didn't get, you also missed out on being the first to know about this:

It has now been 1 week.  Unless the Lightning goes psycho, I think we're finally on to Phase 2 of this project!  More at - http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/?p=1117

Matt
MBI...or it never happened...

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:20 AM
Awesome news! Thanks for sharing...
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

cannon77
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 230
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:52 AM
HOOOOLLLYYYYYY  !!!!!
Thats freakin AWESOME, Thanks for posting that Matt, time to start saving some cash
Our goal with "The Clown Factory" is simple....Raise healthy, beautiful, captive clownfish and ...his is our small part to help keep the Worlds reefs as God intended them to be.....Beautiful

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 2479
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:22 AM
Awesome Matt!

woodstock
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points : 263
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:51 AM
Whohooo! Congrats on finding her a mate!

Doni Marie~

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 321
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:29 AM
That's great!

cmpenney
  • Total Posts : 2772
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 1443
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:43 AM
That was a nice surprise to be sure!
Chad Penney - MBI Council
Agis quod Adis

Rook
  • Total Posts : 804
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1287
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:33 AM
Very cool indeed.
Rook

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:52 AM
that's awesome Matt. Congrats!!! I know a lot of hard work went into this!  I'm going to start saving my money now....
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:39 AM
Well done Matt! When can I put my order in!? Hahaha

Great reward for all that effort. Keep us upto date.

mPedersen
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
Whohooo! Congrats on finding her a mate!

Well Doni, I didn't really "find" her a mate - this was one of the original males sent along with the Lightning Maroon.  Going this route (making the Lightning female) wasn't my first choice, but as the field of options narrowed, and I found myself with only 4 total PNG Maroons (including the Lightning) with no hope of any more coming from PNG (despite months of patiently waiting on the expectations that they would), I had to shoehorn this pair together   So I had the mate all along, and in the end, I had to get a bit creative to ensure that  this male was accepted.

Thanks for all the congrats guys!

Rook
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:22 PM
So, why did you prefer for the lightning to be the male?  Is there some genetic dominance with the male suggesting a greater likelihood of the markings carrying on in the fry?
Rook

Caesra
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Reward points : 195
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:25 PM
very nice!!!! congrats

mPedersen
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:35 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Rook
So, why did you prefer for the lightning to be the male?  Is there some genetic dominance with the male suggesting a greater likelihood of the markings carrying on in the fry?

Funny you mention that.  There is a rumor in the breeding world that "male" contributes stripe pattern to the offspring.  I have no CLUE where that rumor started, nor can I find any factual reference.  My best guess is that someone, somewhere, saw that the Picasso Pair that kicked off all ORA's breeding used the picasso as the male, which in that case clearly the Picasso patterning came from the male.  I think that one example of a pairing somehow got relayed and muddied and morphed into "the male in a clownfish pair is always the one that controls stripe formation in the juveniles", not "in ORA's initial Picasso breeding, the Picasso founder was the male in the pair".

Still, I couldn't fully disregard that rumor since I cannot debunk it.  So yes, that was one reason.  But the main reason was simply this - if any other Lightning comes along, I could pair the existing one to it.  If they collected a 4" female, great.  If they collected a 1" male, great.  ANY maroon that might come along could be paired with the Lightning so long as I kept the Lightning male.  Now that I have let it slide to female, if they collect a female Lightning Maroon, I am out of luck.  So to push it female reduced my chances of pairing it with another wild caught Lightning Maroon by as much as half.

FWIW,

Matt

woodstock
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points : 263
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Quote Originally Posted by Rook

Funny you mention that.  There is a rumor in the breeding world that "male" contributes stripe pattern to the offspring.  I have no CLUE where that rumor started, nor can I find any factual reference.  My best guess is that someone, somewhere, saw that the Picasso Pair that kicked off all ORA's breeding used the picasso as the male, which in that case clearly the Picasso patterning came from the male.  I think that one example of a pairing somehow got relayed and muddied and morphed into "the male in a clownfish pair is always the one that controls stripe formation in the juveniles", not "in ORA's initial Picasso breeding, the Picasso founder was the male in the pair".

Still, I couldn't fully disregard that rumor since I cannot debunk it.  So yes, that was one reason.  But the main reason was simply this - if any other Lightning comes along, I could pair the existing one to it.  If they collected a 4" female, great.  If they collected a 1" male, great.  ANY maroon that might come along could be paired with the Lightning so long as I kept the Lightning male.  Now that I have let it slide to female, if they collect a female Lightning Maroon, I am out of luck.  So to push it female reduced my chances of pairing it with another wild caught Lightning Maroon by as much as half.

FWIW,

Matt

Very smart. Keeping yours a male in order to be able to pair up later to either sex is an excellent idea.

My experience with male vs female contributing to coloration with my percula picasso variants has not shown any significant difference. In my attempt to get more F1 picasso variant broodstock, I have several breeding pairs...
 male picasso x female unrelated wild caught ,and
female picasso x male unrelated onyx
(Where both picassos are siblings)
The above pairs' offspring in regards to amount of white are very similar.
Doni Marie~

Rook
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:37 PM
Well Matt, there is your evidence to contridict the transformed rendition of what ORA did
Rook

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:40 PM
Congratulations, Matt!
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

mPedersen
Re:Lightning Maroon News - for those who didn't go to the MBI - Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:07 PM
Doni, awesome feedback re: the Picasso breeding.  I've put it out to others, but will put it to you too - track your outcomes in terms of numbers / grades per total batch.  I think with the proper data, we'll be able to find a working theory of the genetics behind the percula/picasso/platinum cluster. The more, the better!