Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris

gramalkin
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 723
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:28 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals: female ~4", male 3"
Age of Individuals:  estimated 3 years old
Date added to Tank:  4/24/2009

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  60g
Substrate Details: sugar fine sand
Filtration Details:  sump with refugium, live rock
Water Changes:  10% every 2 weeks
Water Temperature:  79-81 F
Lighting:  4 bulb 39w T5s
Lighting Cycle:  16 off, 8 on
Other Tank Inhabitants: juvenile sailfin, starry blenny, coral beauty, banggai cardinalfish

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rod's Breeders Blend, New Spectrum pellets, Otohime C2 pellets, IO herbivore marine chips (flake)
Feeding Schedule:  Feed only once per day.  Rod's breeder's blend 2x week.  Pellets 2x, alternating types. Marine chips all other days.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  6/26/11
Spawn Time of Day:  late evening (not witnessed)
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  7/14/11, 7/27/11, 8/9
Courtship Details:  obsessive cleaning by male.  Both dancing across egg site frequently the day before laying.
Egg Size:  est 3mm long
Egg Color:  tangerine orange when laid
Egg Count: First three clutches were ~200.  The clutch on 8/9 is est. 250-300.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  1st clutch 7/4, 2nd clutch 7/21, 3rd clutch 8/4
Hatch Time of Day:  during the night.  Not witnessed yet.
# Days after Spawn:  8 days, 7 days, 8 days
Larvae Description:  not witnessed

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
Did not interfere with the first three clutches.  Wanted the pair to get experience tending the eggs, and wanted to observe their care taking abilities.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

- David Gibson
Denton, TX

gramalkin
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:30 PM
Picture of the first clutch (that's the male):

Picture of today's clutch (still the male in the way):

Lance6270
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 90
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:18 PM
Looking good so far. Have you been able to capture the fry yet? I have some that are going to hatch tonight but with the holidays and no one to take care of them another batch to the parents. Once I get back I will collect the next set and talk to you one when they make it to meta.
Lance
90g Reef of SPS, LPS, and Zoas
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby

gramalkin
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:57 PM
I am in the middle of moving my reef tank to a new 90g.  Everyone is in a 150g stock trough, and my clowns stopped laying when I moved them.  I'm hoping that once they are in the 90g that they won't take too long to get back into the swing of things.
- David Gibson
Denton, TX

gramalkin
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:09 PM
After buying a new house, moving all my livestock and finally getting the new 90g reef tank up and running, my clowns got back down to the business of making babies.

Clutch laid on 12/27.  Estimated about 200 eggs?:

They laid twice on the rocks before accepting the tile, but I can actually collect these to give it my first shot at raising them.

One million Rotifers are due to arrive tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll have enough to get them through meta.  
- David Gibson
Denton, TX

gramalkin
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:41 PM
Rotifers arrived today. Getting them squared away, I realized that I have too many variables that are just barely adequate. I totally let myself think, "oh I still have ## days to get ready" and it bit me in the butt. And I let it sneak up on me and caught me not fully prepared. That's not a good place to work towards success from, so I believe I am going to let this clutch go and take the next couple of weeks to have everything better prepared for the next batch.

In that time, I'll:
- have two rotifer cultures running and hopefully densely packed
- have a better light setup. The current light is pretty old and not secured as well as I'd like. I don't want to have an electrical fire or have the light fall into the water either.
- have more salt water on hand. Doing it 5g at a time is more work than is necessary. I have a 35g storage container that I can use, just need to clean it out.
- David Gibson
Denton, TX

gramalkin
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris - Friday, January 25, 2013 2:45 PM
I have picked this journal up on the DFWMAS forums now that we've got those boards up and running.

http://www.dfwmas.org/For...php?f=164&t=105294
- David Gibson
Denton, TX