Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:32 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Tigriopus californicus          
Species description:  orange harpacticoid that is often free swimming.
Culture source (link if possible):  Reed mariculture purchase
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  11/16/2010
Continuation Date:  8/20/2011 and on from here.

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  20 ppt 
Temperature:    ambient room temp: ranges 62 in winter, to 78 in summer.
pH:  7 to 8 ish

Vessel description:  5 gallon bucket filled to 4 gallons
Lighting description:  ambient room compact fluorescents.
Lighting cycle:  14 day, 10 night
Aeration description:  rapid but not boiling.

Methodologies
Split methodology: casual. Culture is thinned every few weeks, as well as partial water changes. Very low maintainance.

Culture medium description: 
20ppt water from water changes on broodstock systems.  Food is mostly roti-grow+ with occational N-rich.  Food is also occasional rotifer addition, as excess occurs.
Cell count:
I've never counted.
Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
Can be kept for months in an open bottle in the fridge with periodic additions of food and chloramX.  These pods do better in the cooler temperatures.  Summer is harder on them but I had a nice outdoor culture until the weather got too hot.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:45 AM
Here's some pix:
Here's the outdoor culture while it lived:

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:05 PM
Here's the indoor culture:

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:07 PM
microscope pix.  I stopped them with some isopropanol:

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:11 PM
Here is a video of the tiggers  on a dish:

there are other critters in there as well.  I grow these as a mixed culture.

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:25 PM
Here's a bottle from the fridge:

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:26 PM
And the little twitchers that have lived in it for over a month, with small additions of food:

CLICK ON THE VIDEO

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:17 AM
i still have the bottles in the fridge. Recently topped them off with fresh water, and I'm feeding them a couple drops of rotigrow+ every 2 weeks or so. 

The poly-culture in the basement has some in there as well as the outdoor tub.  Temperature at the water surface of the outdoor tube was 62, bottom outside of the tub was 64, and the patio concrete was 64.  Temperature of the basement was 75.  All temps in Farenheit.

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:47 PM
I had a tigger population explosion since the cool weather started here.  Just gobs of them in the outdoor tub.

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:00 PM
Outdoor tubs seem to be all T. californicus now.  They adhere to the sides of the tubs in a ring about 2 inches below the water surface, very densely.  Then there are lots of them in the water column.  Whereas M. salina was the major pod a week or so ago, the weather has gotten quite chilly here, and Tiggers are the only ones visible to the naked eye.

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:02 PM
Also, I still have these pods in the refrigerator. They continue living in open bottles with only periodic additions of food and chloramX.  So if you are culturing these guys, put some in the fridge in case of a crash, and you will never run out!

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Monday, November 14, 2011 6:35 PM
i cleared out one of the tubs this past weekend.  It was full of tigger pods. I got most of them as they were sitting on the sides of the tubs, not so much in the cold water. I left my filter in the bucket with the pods, and the next day the tiggers were grasping at the filter cloth and snuggled into every edge and crevice. I guess they really get benthic when cold.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Monday, November 14, 2011 7:26 PM
I wish I would have read this when you got me that start. I lost them all. Hopefully I'll be able to start up another culture soon.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by KathyL

i cleared out one of the tubs this past weekend.  It was full of tigger pods. I got most of them as they were sitting on the sides of the tubs, not so much in the cold water. I left my filter in the bucket with the pods, and the next day the tiggers were grasping at the filter cloth and snuggled into every edge and crevice. I guess they really get benthic when cold.

The get far less active below 60 F. but more so due to metabolism and less so to "being benthic".  Their splash pools are very cold in winter and they do just fine.  The only thing that really effects their wild population numbers is the tidal and storm activity.  Our tides are greater on the west coast in the winter and when you add storms onto that, the splash pools can get a lot of action.  In the summer the pools can go days to weeks seeing no wave action.  Amazingly hardy creatures!!!

Funny, the urban legend is they need to be cold to breed :lol:  We've found to get the greatest culture density, it's best to keep them at reef tank temps!

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:14 PM
RGR, I still have gobs of them. Call me.

rgrking
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, November 18, 2011 8:07 PM
awesome will do! I'm going to try to head up that way soon. I may be able to talk the gf into doing it Sunday lol
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:19 PM
I finally cleared out the fridge cultures, since I have about 5 containers already that are full of T. cali. There were still some twitchers in there, alive for 6 months at 4C.

Santa brought me a microscope, so there are some new pix:
40x.  This one has eggs:
Head portion

Tail portion with eggs:  

RGRKing: did you get some new tigers? Ihave plenty to share.

rgrking
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:41 PM
no, I'll hit you up next time I'm up if it's ok. Everything else is looking great!

I can't believe they stayed alive for so long in the fridge. That's great!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:41 PM
and what kind of microscope did you get?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:49 PM
The ever popular Celestron!

KathyL
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:57 PM
I still have a bucket with about 1-2 gallons of the outdoor cuture in my basement now.  They are orange tiggriopus, but I thnk that there are some M. salina in there. Not sure. I've been feeding them to my clownfish larvae, and its fun to see them while the clownfish are so tiny, and the pods are so big, and then one day those pods are all gone...
I also have a couple of jars of tiggers mixed with M. salina. They definately boom and bust.  It seems like they take turns populating the jars, and then crashing. Then the other species comes back.

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Monday, July 1, 2013 3:42 PM
Are you still running these? I'm about to place an order for some but was just curious if you were still feeding your clowns these?