Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"?

BriGuy31+
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 499
Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"? - Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:19 PM
Hello, I am sure there is a term for this but I have never seen or heard of it before. I have a question about a clutch that is currently 5 days old. It appears that some larva have very reflective bellies while others have no sign of this at all. I noticed this in other clutches at a much higher rate, up to 85%. It is visible with my first check typically 2 hours after hatch.  This clutch currently has less than 5% effected. I am not really sure if they out grow this or die. They don't need to be on their side to see this, it is very noticeable but I came across an easy one to photograph. This is day five larva and I noticed it laying on his side on the top of the water. I assumed he was dead and touched him. He surprised me and started to swim normally again. I thought I would take a picture the next time I saw him on his side. Here they are. What do you think causes this and is it a problem? What can I do to fix it? 

Here is a link to my journal if needed: http://www.mbisite.org/Fo...mp;m=49892&mpage=8
<message edited by BriGuy31+ on Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:33 PM>

FlynnFish
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points : 457
Re:Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"? - Monday, August 22, 2011 5:11 AM
I'll be following along, my percula are 6 days and show the same thing. It makes finding them a lot easier though.

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"? - Monday, August 22, 2011 3:01 PM
I have seen this on all my clowns. The lying on the surface normally ends badly in my experience, but I don't know if it is anything to do with the reflectiveness of the bellies. I think that is normal.
I usually get the lying on the side as they are approaching meta, unlike spiralling which is normally in the first few days.

BriGuy31+
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points : 499
Re:Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"? - Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:25 PM
Thanks. Any other ideas good or bad?

Lance6270
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 90
Re:Amphiprion percula larva with "shinny bellies"? - Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:01 PM
He might have ate one of those tiny air bubbles you have floating near him? Just a thought.

BTW off topic what camera/lenses are you using to get that good of a picture that you can actually almost see the eggs on the rotifer.
Lance
90g Reef of SPS, LPS, and Zoas
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby