Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni

TheCoralShoppe
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points : 191
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, September 2, 2011 1:07 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon kauderni Wild caught
Social Structure:  Pair, Male slightly larger than Female
Size of Individuals:  Approx. 2.5"-3"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  12/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  16"x12"x13" 170 gallons total system volume
Substrate Details:  Bare bottom
Filtration Details:  Central system with clownfish. 50 gallon rubbermaid sump, 1/3 hp chiller, 57 watt UV sterilizer, ASM 5 Skimmer, live rock for biological.
Water Changes:  Siphon detritus out of cube as needed. 30 gallon partial every week.
Water Temperature:  81 degrees
Lighting:  4' T-8 Coralife 10K Fluorescent bulb
Lighting Cycle:  13on/11off  8A-9P
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Omega Sea frozen mysis, chopped krill and super brine shrimp. Soaked in Selco. Do not care for fish roe or flake/pelleted foods. Occasional enriched live brine shrimp.
Feeding Schedule:  3- 4 time daily along with clownfish feedings.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 05/14/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  unsure
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  8/26/2011, 10/03/2011
Courtship Details:  did not witness- Noticed male quit eating and will not face towards me when at aquarium.
Egg Size:  unsure
Egg Color:  pale pink
Egg Count:   unsure

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  Unsure- Eggs in father's mouth
Hatch Time of Day:  Spit out larvae when i moved the male. 6pm 9/14/2011
# Days after Spawn:  approx. 19-20
Larvae Description:  Miniature of adult- Spit out early. Still have egg sack

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  81 deg
Size of Larval Tank:  Same as brood stock
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Other Tank Decor:  artificial urchin
Filtration Details:  same as broodstock
Lighting:  10k NO 4'ft fluorescent
Lighting Cycle:  13 on 11 off  8A-9P
Water Changes:  Same as broodstock

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Still on egg sack. Will try <12hr artemia naupaulii on 9/15/2011
Feeding Schedule:  as often as necessary to keep food in aquarium

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: Come out as miniature of adult. Held in male's mouth for at least 2 days after hatch
Days after Hatch:  Approx. 14 Days
Date of Settlement End:  09/14/2011
Description of Fry:  Miniature version of adult. With egg sack still. When moving male he spit them out early.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  81 F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  BRT-17 gallons w/ clownfish
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Other Tank Decor:  artificial urchin
Filtration Details:  Isolated BRT. No filtration.
Lighting:  4ft. Corallife 10K t-8
Lighting Cycle:  13hrON-11hr Off 8A-9P
Water Changes:  Siphon debris as needed. Water changes every day. 
Size at Transfer:  Approx. 20-25mm. Moved them in BRT with meta clownfish.
Age at Transfer:  15 days post release

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  Started with Otohime B-1 and now onto Otohime B-2
Feeding Schedule:  3 times per day. Morning, mid afternoon, and hour before lights go off.

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
See videos of them feeding.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by TheCoralShoppe on Monday, October 3, 2011 5:32 PM>

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, September 2, 2011 1:08 PM

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, September 2, 2011 1:10 PM
Previously spawned. Thought Male had eaten batch until i found one lone juvenile while siphoning detritus. Raised for 10 days on NHBBS until an unfortunate siphoning accident killed him.

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:53 PM
Just released Approx. 6 pm 09/14/2011. Count 8 larvae. Very small batch. Hard to take photo of. They are so small camera doesn't want to focus on them!

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:38 PM
Been feeding <12hr Artemia Naupalii once a day and using Otohime A the rest of the day. Seems to be working well. 7 babies left. One seems like he has swim bladder issues. although he eats he struggles to stay horizontal in the water. The other six are fine and look good. Decided we'll keep all of them and try to make some more pairs out of them.

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:11 PM
6 days post release and they are feeding on Otohime A and B-1

<message edited by TheCoralShoppe on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:25 PM>

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:18 AM
So 12 days post release and out of the 7 left i now have 5. One was on the bottom just barely alive and another was missing. Not sure what happened. Makes me nervous to go out of town this weekend. I really want to get at least  few of these raised all the way this time. Frustrating. Really need a dedicated aquarium for raising them up.

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, October 3, 2011 5:33 PM
Well just fed this evening and male is not eating again. Guessing he must be holding eggs. Last week he was eating with such gusto. Must have been getting himself ready. Wish i could catch these guys spawning sometime.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, October 3, 2011 6:19 PM
Good luck!  I found my pairs seemed to produce lots of babies with what appeared to be swim bladder issues in their first few spawns, and those fry always died.  I'm not sure if that was indeed what was ailing them or what it was, but as the pairs got older and spawned more the problem with the fry disappeared.

That's great you have them accepting Oto!  I had a heck of a time getting my Banggai fry to eat anything other than BBS.  They did nibble on frozen Cyclopeeze, but not enough to sustain them.

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, October 3, 2011 8:17 PM
Yeah i found mixing oto and BBS got them used to the idea and now thats all they eat. I too have had the swim bladder issue. Not sure what is causing it though.

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, October 3, 2011 8:17 PM
Yeah i found mixing oto and BBS got them used to the idea and now thats all they eat. I too have had the swim bladder issue. Not sure what is causing it though.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, October 3, 2011 9:47 PM
what did you make your fake urchin out of?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:29 AM
a ball of epoxy putty and bamboo skewers. 

TheCoralShoppe
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:01 PM
32 days Post release. Four babies left.