Culture Journal, Species: Nanochloripsis

chuenwe
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 113
Culture Journal, Species: Nanochloripsis - Wednesday, September 7, 2011 4:26 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Nanochloripsis 
Species description:  Micro Algae
Culture source (link if possible):  http://florida-aqua-farms.com
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  05/18/2011
Continuation Date:  09/07/2011

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.018
Temperature:  Room Temperature at 70s   
pH:  not measured.  Roughly 8.0

Vessel description:  2L soda bottle.  Right after I finish drinking the soda, I rinse it a few times and soak it with tap water for days until whenever I'm about to use it.  When I need it, I rinse it with tap water few more times then fill with RO water and salt.  I do not sterilize them. 
Lighting description:  4 tubes of Home Depot 3' T-5 light combo. The color looks like 3000K.
Lighting cycle:  18 hours a day
Aeration description:  Very fast bubbling like boiling water.

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Pour out 1/4 of the bottle for feeding.  Pour another 500ml into a new bottle for splitting to another culture. 
When I split and create a new culture, I only use new bottles for the new culture.  For the original dense culture bottle, after I pour out the amount that I use, I just refill it with salt water.  The original bottle will be keep re-using until there are stuff or film developing near the bottle neck, then I just trash the bottle (by putting them into the city recycle bin. Not really trashing it).  I do not clean or sterilize any them. 
Culture medium description: 
15-20 drops of F/2 into 2L of 1.018 aged salt water. The F/2 is the MICRO ALGAE GROW™ GUILLARD F/2 FORMULATION from Florida Aqua Farms.

Cell count: unknown

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by chuenwe on Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:08 PM>

chuenwe
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 113
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nanochloripsis - Wednesday, September 7, 2011 4:32 PM
5/17/2011 Soak the dish with salt water for 24 hours.

5/18/2011 On the next day, I put the 2 bottles into a bucket with whatever light stripes I had laying around until I build some racks for my phyto station.

7/7/2011 Had many split of the culture on the phyto station.  On the upper shelf, all but the middle 2 are nano.  The middle 2 are tet.

<message edited by chuenwe on Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:37 AM>