Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus

Caesra
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Reward points : 195
Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, September 16, 2011 8:41 PM
General
Species:
  Tigriopus californicus
Species description:  Harpacticoid copepod  
Culture source (link if possible):  Reef nutrition bottle
If algae, CCMP # (
): 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:
 ~1.020     
Temperature:  Ambient, ~74°F
Vessel description:  2.5g bucket 
Lighting description:  Ambient
Lighting cycle:  12/12      
Aeration description:  soft airline with moderate flow

Methodologies
Split methodology:
 Harvest as needed

Culture medium description:  SW at 1.020SG

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, September 16, 2011 10:11 PM
What are you feeding these guy and how often?
-Adam

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:54 PM
This is my first go at this, I had been waiting for LFS to get a new set of bottles. 

This post for me was mostly a point in time post, because I started my brine months ago and have no clue exactly when.

I am mostly just following other's advice, I started with a small shot of rotigrow +, but there is an article in coral mag this month about these guys too, they suggested flakes.  I turned down the flow on the culture, as the article suggest that any flow might be counter productive.

I have been trying to start up some easy cultures so I have some variety. 

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:45 PM
Ground pellet with high protein values and brewers yeast or omega yeast on top of alga gives a good round diet. Just watch the water quality
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, September 30, 2011 12:06 PM
So far all looks good, but I am trying to figure out how to do a bucket change.  These guys seem to want to stick to the side of the bucket, where all the goop is.  Any thoughts from anyone?

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, September 30, 2011 2:39 PM
Yup... you will have to decant them in a tall container.

Swish everything into the water column, decant multiple times.

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, September 30, 2011 8:10 PM
Thanks Gresh

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:31 AM
Some images.  I have not decantered the culture yet, as time goes on it seems to get cleaner.  Going to try to test water params tomorrow.

There appears to be more pods in the culture than before, but it has also become infested with Rotifers.  So far I have been feedng a few pellets and flakes every other day or so, and some Rotigrow+ every day...about 1/4-1/2 ml....roughly two times a day.

When I observe it visually, It seems to have alot more than Tiger pods and rots, I am going to have to examine it closer when I get some time.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:01 AM
tiggers and rots grow very well togther, IMO.

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, October 14, 2011 9:56 PM
So far I have maintained a feed of about .5 ml per day of RG+ and roughly .5ml of ClorAm-X every other day.  Every other day I have droped either some crushed small pellets or some flake into the bucket.  The rotifers still exist in the bucket, but not very dense.  The pods appear to be multiplying at this point.

Yesterday I split the culture for the first time.  The buckets were suprisingly clean.  I have not done any water changes on the culture.  During the split, I poured 1/2 of the culture into two new buckets of the same 2.5g size.  I filled it up with newly mixtured salt water (IO) to a sailinity of 1.021.

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:45 PM
Just visually observing the tanks, I am starting to notice a considerably rise in the population.    Still pretty low density, but the numbers appear to be increasing slowly.