Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black

Lance6270
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 90
Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:47 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  A. Ocellaris Darwin Black with orange face
Social Structure:  Mated pair from 6 months of age
Size of Individuals:  F: 4” M: 2 ½”
Age of Individuals:  4 years
Date added to Tank:  Jan 2008

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  90g long
Substrate Details:  sand and live rock
Filtration Details:  40g breeder sump/fuge/return PM Skimmer, 6: DSB with 4 types of macro
Water Changes:  5g every 2 weeks
Water Temperature:  80deg
Lighting:  48” VHO atitnics 2 x 250w MH 14k Phoenix
Lighting Cycle:  14 hrs vho 8am – 10 pm 8 hrs MH 10 – 8 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Breeding pair Bangii Cardnals, ORA Target Mandrin (F), Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, Black Lace Blenny, Diamond Sand sifting goby

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rods Breeders Blend(out right now), Rods Original, Home Brew(Squid, Mysis, Silver Sides, Krill, Cyclopes, Nori, Flake, pellet, phyto, garlic)
Feeding Schedule:  2 oz a day over an hour period

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  7/2/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  ~4:00 pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  7/11/2011, 7/21/2011, 8/1/2011, 8/14/2011, 8/30/2011, 9/13/2011, 9/29/2011, 10/27/2011, 11/11/2011
Courtship Details:  Male cleans the rock near their nem and female inspects then they do the dance around the nem
Egg Size:  1.5 – 2 mm
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count:  75 - 100

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  9/8/2011
Hatch Time of Day:  10:30PM after lights went out at 10PM and pumps off
# Days after Spawn:  9 days
Larvae Description:  active and swam towards the light, most about 2.5 mm in length yoke sack small

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80deg
Size of Larval Tank: 10g
Substrate Details:  BB
Other Tank Decor:  nothing
Filtration Details:  none
Lighting:  15w T8 hood light
Lighting Cycle:  16 hrs 6:30 am – 10:30 pm
Water Changes:  1g a day

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  rotifers (L)
Feeding Schedule:  morning(6:30am) and night(6:00pm) well stocked

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:9/13/2011
Days after Hatch:  5 days
Date of Settlement End:  9/15/2011
Description of Fry:  two bands or saddle ~ 50/50 one the markings. Started to swim more instead of just dart around. Started moving in clusters and doing what the one on either side was doing. If one took off swimming to the other side of the tank they would all follow.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80deg F
Size of Grow-Out Tank: Still in the 10g  
Substrate Details:  Bare bottom
Other Tank Decor: PVC Y joint in there for them to swim through
Filtration Details:  sponge filter
Lighting:  15w florescent light
Lighting Cycle:  on at 8:30 AM and off at 10:30 PM
Water Changes:  1 gallon a week
Size at Transfer:  still same tank
Age at Transfer:  did not transfer over

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  Reef Mariculture TDO-B1 and TDO-C1
Feeding Schedule:  9 am 12 pm 3 PM 8 PM

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
6th clutch able to get to meta.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Lance6270 on Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:33 PM>

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:09 PM
Here are some pictures of the parents tending the nest behind the nem and then the fry after I captured them on the night and moved them to the tank. Also some more pictures of the meta and also video as it was easier to get pictures of them tank way.

The night they went in their tank

Meta

2 weeks old

Going into meta

Two weeks old

If this is too much info or if there is another way that is preferred please let me know as I am new on here.

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:39 PM
eggs laid today around 4:30 pm cst

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:40 PM
here is a shot of the fry taken this morning at 3 wks of age

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Friday, October 7, 2011 11:41 AM
Ok So they are a month old now and I have about 23(move to fast to count and to small to tag(joking on tagging them)) in the 10g tank. When and will I need to transfer them to a larger tank? I have two tanks I can use that are not setup yet. One is a 20g and the other is a 24 JBJ nano. If I need to move them what would be the best choice to setup for them? 
Lance
90g Reef of SPS, LPS, and Zoas
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby

gramalkin
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 723
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Friday, October 7, 2011 2:33 PM
I think the 10g is going to be fine to keep them in for a while, depending on the filtration you can put on it.  I would keep an eye on aggression and filtration in the tank.
- David Gibson
Denton, TX

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Saturday, October 8, 2011 2:46 PM
Thanks David. I know some move them over to a 20g but just was not sure as I do not have that many.

Here is a video taken today of them a few days of a month old

Lance
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin (Black with orange face) - Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:43 PM
Here is one after the lights came on in the morning. Most sleep on their sides and I guess he did not know what was up or down.

Lance

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Friday, November 4, 2011 10:33 AM
Week 8 and the kids are doing great. I have a total of 23 in the tank and they have not lost one since meta.

Lance

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Friday, November 4, 2011 11:19 AM
Very cool. Nice pics!
-Adam

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:31 AM
Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy

Very cool. Nice pics!

Thank you! Have a runt in the group that is about 1/4 the size of the rest. Still putting rotifers in to help him grow, not sure if this is the right thing to do but would like to see them all make it.
Lance

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:32 AM
So we are at week 9 and all is good. As of yesterday(11/11/11) both my clowns and Bangii spawned. have a bigger than normal clutch of eggs on the rock. I will post pictures later of them all.
Lance

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:48 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Lance6270

Thank you! Have a runt in the group that is about 1/4 the size of the rest. Still putting rotifers in to help him grow, not sure if this is the right thing to do but would like to see them all make it.

If the runt is past settlement rotifers will be too small. What I do when I get a runt is isolate him in a breeder net inside the tank. That way you can be sure he gets enough food and doesn't get picked on.  
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:56 AM
I will try that.
Lance

Lance6270
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: A. Ocellaris Darwin Black - Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:04 PM
So here are the updated pictures of the Babies at 60 days post meta. Need to clean the glass I know but here they are.

Lance