Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens - Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:55 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Rhodomonas lens
Species description:  Red flagellated diatom
Culture source (link if possible):  Algagen (via SeahorseSource.com)  http://www.seahorsesource...p/detail.cgi?id=201133
If algae, CCMP # (Optional):  CCMP 739
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  10/6/2011
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:  Low 70s F 
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description:  2000 ml borosilicate glass media jars
Lighting description:  2 x T5 21 watt 6500K fluorescent bulbs.
Lighting cycle:  18 H on / 6 H off
Aeration description:   Moderate

Methodologies
Split methodology:  To be determined.  First split was at just 4 days, after a substantial number of dark red cells began to settle and needed constant swirling to keep them suspended.

Culture medium description: 
1200 ml of used tank water is mixed with 300 ml of RO/DI water, and placed into the media jar.  2 ml of a sodium metasilicate solution is added.  A foam stopper is used to close the jar, and two such jars are microwaved for 25:80 (26 minutes, and 20 seconds; touch numbers 2,5,8, and 0 down the microwave keypad) in an 1100 watt microwave.  Let cool to room temperature before using.  After cooling, add 0.75 - 0.80 ml of FAF Micro Algae Grow immediately before adding 500 ml of a relatively dense culture as an innoculant.

Cell count:
  Unknown

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

JimWelsh
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens - Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:01 AM
Third time may just be the charm!

I've tried R. lens twice before, with dismal results both times.  Since I was ordering a fresh C-Iso starter from SeahorseSource, I decided to go ahead and give this diatom another go.  Well, at least it didn't go directly south on me this time, like it has in the past.  I received the starter last Thursday, and put the 250 ml starter into a 1000 ml flask that had 750 ml of media.  Gave it gentle air and gentle light.  It stayed pink!  It didn't turn an insipid green and crash!  After 4 days, I had a substantially greater number of dark red cells that were settling, and decided to split it.  Here is the label from the starter culture (just in case R. lens ever makes it on the official MBI species list), and an image of one of my culture jars after the first split:

Attached Image(s)

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens - Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:57 PM
mmmm pretty red rhodo  god I love this species

Jim, try mixing in a few 3400K bulbs with your 6500's I've had much better luck with Rhodomonas (salina and lens) with a mixed spectrum!
Pelagically yours,
~J      

Helix
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 87
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens - Friday, September 28, 2012 2:20 PM
Any updates Jim?

JimWelsh
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Rhodomonas lens - Friday, September 28, 2012 7:36 PM
Not really.  I did run it for a while, but eventually it crashed on me.  I should look for some images to see if I made it to my 90 Days Culture Continuation date!  The A. tonsa did seem to like it, though.