Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni

Lance6270
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 90
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, October 14, 2011 5:47 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure: Pair, Male slightly larger than Female
Size of Individuals: Approx. 3"-3.5"
Age of Individuals: Unknown
Date added to Tank: 9/2011 - Female added 12/2013(Last Female died of unknown causes)

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  90g
Substrate Details:  sand and live rock
Filtration Details:  sump/fuge/return EWS Skimmer, 6" DSB with 2 types of macro, Rowaphos in a TLF 150 media reactor, 20g plumbed into MDT
Water Changes:  10g every week
Water Temperature:  78deg F
Lighting:  2 x AI Sol
Lighting Cycle:ramp up starting at 6 am at 10% to 80% at 11:00 am and start ramping down at 4:00 pm to 10% at 9:30 pm 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Breeding pair Bangii Cardnals, ORA Target Mandrin (F), Target Mandrin, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blenny, pair of clown tank breed by myself, pencil urchin, Gold spot rabbit fish, Rabbit fish

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rods Breeders Blend(out right now), Rods Original, Home Brew(Squid, Mysis, Silver Sides, Krill, Cyclopes, Nori, Flake, pellet, phyto, garlic)
Feeding Schedule:  2 oz a day over an hour period

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  9/7/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  afternoon
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  10/12/2011, 11/11/2011 The new pair had one spawn after adding the female at the end of Dec and then last spawn was around 2/23/2014, 4/7/2014 spawned around 7:00 pm CST
Courtship Details:  Male gets aggressive and female starts bumping the glass
Egg Size:  going to estimate the size of the eggs due to the fact that I cannot see them since they are in the males mouth and I did not see them spawning. I can see them when he tumbles them and I am going to say that they are around 2mm in size.
Egg Color:  pink
Egg Count:  unknown  due to the fact that he pretty much keeps his mouth closed but will open every so often to turn them or blow water over the eggs. It is not enough to get any kind of count as they are packed in there pretty good.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  unknown but he spit 8 out on 3/15/2014
Hatch Time of Day:  8:30 pm
# Days after Spawn:  8 as of now as he is still holding
Larvae Description:  Everything looks good on them. One is swimming vertical so I am sure that one will not make it. They are swimming in pairs.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  78 deg F 
Size of Larval Tank: 20g 
Substrate Details:  light sand bed with cheato and grape
Other Tank Decor:  LR
Filtration Details:  plumbed into main Display tank
Lighting:  Sump under MDT with a DSB. EWS Skimmer and Rowaphos in a TLF 150 media reactor.
Lighting Cycle:  6am to 9 pm
Water Changes:  10g weekly

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  APBreed TDO-A, baby artemia every three days
Feeding Schedule:  3 x daily mixed with water and sprayed into water column

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 3/15/2014 
Days after Hatch:  unknown when hatch was due to hatching in the mouth
Date of Settlement End:  3/15/2014
Description of Fry:  about 1/4" in size and very active. Stay close together and look like the parents.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  78 deg F
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 20g plumbed into MDT
Substrate Details:  1" sand bed
Other Tank Decor:  Cheato, Grape clurpa, Leaf clurpa and about 5# LR
Filtration Details:  Plumbed into 90g MDT
Lighting:  LED lighting
Lighting Cycle:  on at 6:45AM off at 9PM
Water Changes:  down with MDT
Size at Transfer:  Live at release
Age at Transfer:  Live at release and about 21 days old from spawn

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  APBreed TDO-A, baby artemia every three days; I have moved them over to Frozen Brine and frozen mysis around 5/5/14
Feeding Schedule:  3 x daily mixed with water and sprayed into water column, Stared feeding twice a day Frozen Brine and frozen mysis 7 am and 7 pm

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Lance6270 on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:04 PM>
Lance
90g Reef of SPS, LPS, and Zoas
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, October 14, 2011 7:05 PM
here are some pictures of the pair in the tank. cannot really get a shot of the eggs but you can see the jaw extended

<message edited by Lance6270 on Monday, March 31, 2014 8:32 PM>
Lance
Pair of Breeding Clowns, Pair Breeding of Bangii, Black Blenny, Scopas Tang, Yellow Tang, ORA Target Mandrin, Diamond Sand Sifting Goby

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:29 AM
OK so the male let the eggs go last go round and they spawned again yesterday 11/11/2011. Hopefully he can hold them all the way through this time. I have been over feeding and making sure he had enough food this time. Fingers crossed
Lance

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:20 PM
Just an update:

I lost my Female about three months back and had another female that they had beat up pretty bad in a 20g tank. I move my male over to my 90g in the office and put the female in there with him. They took to each other pretty quick. 21 days ago they laid eggs so tonight I moved him to the breeders net and he spit out about 8 of them but is still holding some.
Lance

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:37 PM
Here are two pictures I was able to capture before the battery died on me

Lance

Titus
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 141
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:02 AM
Congrats Lance!

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:13 PM
Thanks, I tried to catch him in the MDT and he spit 9 out that I know of and save 8 of them. Placed him in the breeders net but no more were released that I saw.
Lance

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:01 AM
Up as it has now been more than 60 days post settlement. they are starting to pair up and run in groups of two and three unless they feel threatened or at feeding time.

Lance

Lance6270
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:02 PM
At this time they are also eating a mix of Frozen Brine and frozen mysis twice a day.
Lance