Culture Journal, Species: Artemia

Caesra
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Reward points : 195
Culture Journal, Species: Artemia - Friday, October 14, 2011 10:03 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Artemia
Species description:   Brine shrimp
Culture source (link if possible):  from cyst.  do not recall vendor.
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  ~7/15/2011
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.021
Temperature:    76
pH:  not measured

Vessel description:  2.5g bucket
Lighting description:  compact florescent - ambient
Lighting cycle:  10/14
Aeration description:  very low bubble count, roughly 1 per second.

Methodologies
Split methodology: have not split at this point

Culture medium description: 
The feeding of this culture has not been consistent.  I have added roughly .5ml every other day of RG+ and a few flakes of flake food about 2x a week.

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

This culture started more as a learning experiement. 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia - Friday, October 14, 2011 10:07 PM
This was initially started out of curiousity, rather than an actual attempt to start a culture.  During a conversation in chat, I got curious so I simply tossed some cysts into a clean bucket with new salt water and added some low air to it and let it go.  When they hatched, I simply added some RG+ to see what would happen.

After roughly two weeks a bacterial infection took hold and the culture crashed.  I dumped to culture and redid everything exactly the same.

I have not done any water changes on this culture at all, although the bucket looks pretty nasty the brine seem to be ticking along fine.  At this point I have observed a third set of eggs hatched.  Most of the original shrimp from the cysts have died.

The bucket has a rotifer contamination, but does not seem to be causing any adverse effects.

I add ClorAm-X as needed, based on any visual signs of bubbles forming on the side of the bucket.  I will then add .5ml in 12 hour increments until I see all of the bubbles disappear.  At this point I discontinue the ClorAm-X until I see it reappear, usually many days later.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia - Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:12 AM
Hey Eric, I just found a couple dozen adult brine infecting my rotifer cultures.  Apparently brine can be raised to adult on just RotiGrow+ because that's all they have received in there.  I'm going to sieve them out into their own culture and experiment like you're doing.  So you have a culture buddy, haha! 

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia - Friday, January 13, 2012 10:50 PM
Well this thing is still ticking with little attention.  I have them in a 5g bucket now and i have watched many cycles occur.  I have done one water change on the bucket..that is it.  the culture did become infested with tigger pods at some point in the last two months.

Caesra
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia - Friday, February 3, 2012 8:15 PM
Still moving along with very little attention.  Feedings of Rotigrow a few times a week and the occassional addition of t-iso.  We add a very small pinch of flake food once a week or so.  Tiggers are still in bucket.  The density is low..about 1 per 200ml, but they continue to reproduce at a steady pace.

CloramX is added infrequently, and only if bubbles appear.  Continue to use almost no air ciculation.  One bubble about every 2-3 seconds.  I did a water change about 2 weeks ago where I seived the bucket with a 125 um mesh and placed everyting into fesh prepared salt water.