Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:42 PM
I found this in my never ending search for knowledge. Apparently it was her senior project in electrical engineering.

http://digitalcommons.cal...tomatic%20clownfish%22

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:23 PM
Very interesting... I am a microcontroller dork so that is pretty cool!

I will say, that is a lot of work with acrylic and the microcontroller so unless it was a 100% set it and forget it type setup it wouldnt be worth it. With that said, it seems the purpose of that system was for that exact reason.

I would think a simple flow though system,. BRT's with a water trickle and a sump with a skimmer would work just as good. Heck, buy a $200 dollar dosing pump to dose rotifers and phyto and I bet you still save a TON of money over this setup. Not to bash her work, as I think this is REALLY cool, its just over the top for some of the stuff we have today.

-Adam

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:33 PM
It would be awesome if someone set either this or something similar up to use.  Who's up for it?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:12 PM
I like toys but adding rotifers WITH their filthy water to a larva tank do not seem to be a good idea.
I didn't read it all but did she add a way to filter them before offering ? I don't think so.
Anderson.

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:18 AM
She coulda asked for better pictures from us :lol:

I got about a 1/4 through it and gave up.  Now isn't the time for me to be reading that   Maybe next week.

backwards32
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 20
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Friday, January 6, 2012 6:13 PM
I am actually trying to make my own automatic feeder. the rotifer water will be on a slow drip through a strainer. the strainer is on a motor that is timed. when the motor runs it moves the strainer over to the larve tank and drops into the water releasing the rotifers into the tank. Hope this works....

GreshamH
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Friday, January 6, 2012 6:21 PM
You might need a constant feed for the phyto to the rotifers if you plan on continually removing culture water.

If your input and output rates aren't exactly matched, do you have a plan on how to automatically adjust the salinity?

GreshamH
Re:Automatic Clownfish Hatchery by Laura Quesada - Friday, January 6, 2012 6:22 PM
Oh, and thanks for reminding me I need to finish reading that PDF